Tonya Larson's Step Pump, review

rubleneesey

Cathlete
I posted this on VF and thought I would share here too! I really enjoyed the workout, especially the step portion! (no tricky choreography but it was fun enough to keep me interested)

Here's what I posted:

This solid intermediate workout is approximately 56 minutes in length. It's broken into 2 segments, Step or Pump (full body toning). You can choose to PLAY ALL from the chapter menu if you want to play the segments together.

Step:

Serving as a warmup, Tonya begins the step portion with Combo #1. Tonya includes "dynamic stretches" to keep your heart rate up as well as more traditional stretches to prepare for the step portion. After the warmup/Combo #1, Tonya takes you through 3 additional combinations. (at the very end, you'll string all 4 combinations together for a total of 3 times)

You'll always learn the base pattern first. (background exerciser Robin maintains this level throughout the workout for those not wanting to follow the optional modifications) Tonya uses the same step count for all of the more advanced options, making it easy to stick to either the initial pattern or move into the more challenging one as you get familiar with the choreography. (e.g. one knee corner or choose knee spin away, 3 knee repeater or choose "ping pong" repeater) Mostly low impact, the workout is very easy to follow. Tonya's cuing is precise and she'll preview the options first as the background girls maintain the basic pattern. The moves are traditional but they are put together in ways that make it more enjoyable. (I've done the step portion 4 times and depending on my energy levels/sleep, have done the basic or more challenging versions and love it!!) The step portion, with the brief warmup and cool down, is 30 minutes which makes it a great "add on" to other cardio options.

Pump:

The toning portion uses high reps and light to medium weights (depending on which body part you are working) to condition the entire body. (I've done this once and in just 22 minutes time, I felt efficiently worked) Tonya uses the same rep pattern (2 down, 2 up for 4 reps, then single count for 8 reps, then down & pulse 3 times for 4 reps and then finishing with another set of 8 single reps) throughout each exercise.

Tonya begins with squats (to work overall legs) and then on the next set adds an outer thigh leg lift. Plie squats are next, focusing now on the inner thighs. Chest work is next. Tonya begins with pushups on the step. Next you will perform a dumbbell fly on the bench with the option of maintaining bridge position (this will add additional attention to the glutes, quads and hamstrings). Next is a compound move working biceps and legs together. You can maintain either a curtsy lunge/bicep curl (to make it harder) or a regular rear lunge/bicep curl. Next up is an upright row. This primarily focuses on the shoulders with the biceps as helpers. Shoulder raises follow. Rows with tricep extension work both the back and tricep efficiently. This concludes the Pump workout and you'll then move onto core work.

Plank work for 2 sets (long holds) begin the core session. Tonya also includes traditional curls, curls with knee lift option which include lower abdominal focus, and twists with or without handweights.

The final stretch is short but mainly focuses on the back, hamstrings and outer glute area. (during the Pump segment Tonya includes stretches after each set to stretch the legs, chest, biceps, shoulder and triceps so nothing goes untouched)

The workout was produced by Petra Kolber and uses the same production studio that Petra used for her latest dvd offerings. The set was pretty and spacious. The music was traditional aerobic genre, coming from bigbeatmuzic.com. (the spiritual warmup music was from freeplaymusic.com) The background exercisers are: Traci Barton and Robin Vitale

As a bonus, Tonya offers 4 "spiritual warmups" that focus on different goals: Emotional & Spiritual Health, Self-Discipline, Physical Health & Hope. In each of these short 3 minute segments, Tonya shares biblical verses to help reach your personal goals. (this is optional and if you choose, you don't have to include these in your workout. As a Christian I truly enjoyed each of these offerings, but again, Tonya offered these as "optional" so you can make that choice yourself)

I enjoyed this workout tremendously and believe Tonya fills a "niche" for solid, intermediate "fun" choreography. (nothing fancy or too complex that has you frusterated learning the patterns) I hope she brings us more step workouts in the future!

I was watching the clip on collagevideo.com and was thinking about getting it cause I LOVE circuit training....after reading your review I may have to purchase that one. Thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.