thoughts on Beachbody's "Total Body Solution"

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
I just got this video and did the whole thing, once, today. I am really impressed with it. I plan to stick with it as recommended by Beachbody, for 30 days, every other day. I will write another comment in about 30 days with my long term results. This is a video for "rehabbing" parts of the body. The idea is to achieve full range of motion, without pain, and muscular endurance with basic motions, in these areas: there are 5 sections, (1) Neck, (2) Shoulders, (3) Core, (4) Lower Back and (5) Knees. Each section has an assessment portion - which is short - and has you do one or two exercises to determine your current level of problems in that area. For example, for the lower back, you stand in a bent-over position (kind of like the bottom of a stiff-legged deadlift but with arms crossed over chest) and try to hold that for 120 seconds. if you finish the assessment without pain and can achieve the full range of motion, you "pass." Otherwise you fail that section. Holy cow, I failed *EVERY* section test. In any event you can choose to do the exercises that follow for that body part, which are typically about 15 minutes in length. Today I did the exercises for every body part. Like I said, I am impressed. The instruction is quite good. I AM annoyed that they put ads for other Beachbody products in the video! But, I have pain in my right elbow, shoulder, and most of my neck area, and am really hoping this will help. My fitness level has really gone down since an elbow injury in Oct 2008, which led to this whole constellation of issues. I bought STS but have not been able to do even video 1 yet without pain. I also have been using computers all day at work for the past 25 years, and that has been very bad for my body. Anyway I am personally going to focus on doing the neck and shoulder portions for now, as I think that's where I need it the most. I would love to hear from anyone else who has tried this. I heard there were reviews on videofitness for it, but I haven't found those yet. Some people on the Beachbody site complained that you cannot go straight to the exercises without going through the assessment - but I actually like doing the assessment first to see where I'm at - and it in itself is an exercise for that body part, so to me, it's a good thing. Hope this post isn't too long :) BTW I have no commerical interest in this, I teach computer science classes at Florida State for a living! I do hope to "get well" and be able to get back to my Cathe favorites, like Slow and Heavy, which I honestly have not been able to do in a good 7 months living with the pain and loss of range of motion problem.

Last edited:
I love this one! I've tried them all, but use the neck and shoulders workouts the most. I suffer from tension headaches and problems with alignment. This has given me such relief. I'm amazed at how less tense I am in those areas. If I feel myself getting stressed, I add in a few of the exercises. My head and neck feel so much better. I agree with you taht doing the assessment helps. I know how far I've come.

Although the price is kind of steep, it's worth paying. I an't believe the difference this video has made.

p.s on rehabbing videos "Fitness Fix"

Replying to my own post - well I've never done that before! Anyway I wanted to add, for those who are interested in rehabbing type videos, there is another series on the market called "Fitness Fix." I also tried the intermediate DVD for this. I was not too happy with it, but other posters have liked it. The intermediate disk has three sections mainly, upper body fix, lower body fix, and core fix. There are other workouts on this disk as well including a foam roller "massage." This video uses weights a lot and did not work out for me for "rehabbing" my elbow and shoulder problems. For example they do a triceps dip on a ball, and use weights in many routines. I for one, with a lot of pain in right elbow and shoulder, was not ready for that and just found it too much! But there is also a beginner fitness fix dvd, and that or this one may be something else to check into if you are looking for this kind of thing.

Thanks for posting. I am intrested in the Total Body Solutions DVD also.
I have bursitis in my left shoulder.
Please, please keep us up to date on how you do and how you like the exercises.

thanks for the review. i received permission to do any workouts that don't move my right shoulder . i might check this one out for an at home rehab work out. today is day 10 after rotator cuff surgery. i was told today ... walking no running,lower body ok but again no jostling of shoulder.
i pulled out all of my old fit primes and tracy long tlt's to see if i can create some kind of total body work out for my self. i have 5 more weeks in the sling and a daily 4 hours (plus icing) in a motorized chair.
good luck with your healing.
colleen

I'm very excited to hear about this dvd. I've posted before about my neck, shoulder and back problems which are quite severe. On the Beachbody website, people stated the same things said here about not being able to go directly to the exercises. Can you explain more about these issues in the dvd? I'm sure you can fast forward to where you'd like to go. Where do they put the commercials? How frustrating are these issues? I'd just like to know as much as possible before investing in yet another hopeful resolution. Thanks very much!

Bam

Another possibility

Hey Guys

I have bad knees so I was interested in looking at the total body solutions. I had already bought a dvd called hip helpers and just remembered that they had on called shoulder solutions. The lady looks a little out there when you first watch it BUT it is really well done. She does a workshop and shows all the stretchs etc and how to modify and explains what they are doing, on the hip helpers it is about 50 minutes. Then there is a session that is her doing the moves with a voice over that is about the same length. There is a bunch of bonus stuff as well for furthur stretchs. I am impressed. My hips are very tight and I know that it effects my running and thus effects my knees.
Anyways, just a thought
Here is the link
http://www.pranamaya.com/miller-shoulder.html
Good luck
Heather

Total Body Solutions

Hello, I just love this DVD. I personally do the Core and Lower Body exercises every other day and have had great results. I had lower back pain and even some pain going down the side of my leg, so I started to do this DVD and wow, the results are just wonderful. I highly recommend it, it only takes me about 30 minutes to do this section only - I don't do neck, shoulders or knees but it's nice to know when those areas of my body are hurting, like my neck did one time, I did the neck exercise and found relief very soon. Again, I am very happy with the exercises.

i think i bought the wrong dvd's. i bought the fitness fix and should have gotten beachbody total body solutions. haven't opened them yet.should i return them?
today is day 30 post rotator cuff surgery. i see dr. about pt next week.

Curiosity???

So how is it been going for those who have this DVD? I have been debating over getting it or the knee solutions DVD from Gaiam.

Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.