for those that do less cardio?

laura35

Cathlete
do you feel that your endurance or stamina has decreased by doing less cardio each week? Like could you go and run a 5k and have a decent finishing time? I was just wondering because I have been debating on cutting back on cardio but am afraid that when I do my 5k races that I will lose my stamina or endurance that is needed to really push yourself for this. thanks!

I had cut back on cardio and started doing more heavy weights, and I did think that I lost some endurance. I've gone back to doing more cardio in the last three weeks or so and I feel like I'm starting to get some of that stamina back.

I would definitely say that I have lost some stamina since cutting back on cardio. The trade off for me is not being so tired all the time, and also being able to focus on lifting. My cardio goals are pretty straightforward, so it doesn't impact me much.

HTH!

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

I guess it depends on what you mean by *cardio.* When I was doing P90X I stopped running and all traditional forms of cardio(treadmill,elliptical, bike,etc.)I actually thought my stamina/endurance improved.

At that point, my only *cardio* was PlyoX, KenpoX and the YogaX(which I don't feel is straight cardio.)When I went back to running I expected it to be hard but I couldn't believe how fast I was able to go and how much more effortless it felt.

Of course, if you were referring to ALL forms of cardio(including the types of things that I mentioned) then I guess I'm not much help. Sorry!:)

Laura,

I recently got back to running after a 4 month break. The first few training sessions, I was winded, but by week two I felt great. I ended up with plantar fascitis, perhaps from increasing mileage too soon. So if you do cut back, start training early enough for your races for not just your cardiovascular system but the rest of your body to adapt too.

~* Vrinda *~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.