Thanksgiving Dilemma

melagras

Cathlete
I'm not looking forward to the glutton fest of Thanksgiving. I'm trying to change the way I eat and can't stand the thought of eating calorie-laden, cheesy casseroles. It seems like that is all anyone brings to Thanksgiving these days. Should I eat an early lunch of the food I prefer or pick at the crap everyone brings?

I'm not looking forward to the glutton fest of Thanksgiving. I'm trying to change the way I eat and can't stand the thought of eating calorie-laden, cheesy casseroles. It seems like that is all anyone brings to Thanksgiving these days. Should I eat an early lunch of the food I prefer or pick at the crap everyone brings?

I always makes sure I bring at least one, usually two, healthy dishes. Then I eat white meat turkey, larger portions of the dishes I brought, and small portions of my favorites of whatever else is there. I don't eat anything to make someone else happy. If I don't want it, I don't eat it. If I do, I have a very small portion.

Lol yes that is a mistake I make had made that helpeed me gain 30 pounds after a 70 ppund loss for 10 15 yrs ... My family for yrs would get mad if I didnt eat like a "normal " person! After a while u try to do alittle to shut them up. Im one who is all or nothing. So once I tried normal I couldnt stop. So im paying for it.

Awww, don't look at it as a gluton-fest! Look at it as a fun day to be with your friends and family! That's what I do, and I find that I don't need to eat all the calorie-heavy food that everyone brings... Relax and enjoy yourself!

Also remind yourself, its just one day. My word, enjoy yourself with your family. You don't have to totally pig out, but dang, one day to loosen up just a little and have a few bites of food while enjoying the company of your family and friends, that won't kill you.

I look forward to Thanksgiving and all the foods that go with it! Like the others said, it's one day. Enjoy what makes YOU happy. Make one or two healthier dishes and eat in moderation. I try to get an extra workout or two in as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Lisa

Yep its one day but I can see op point. Well for me anyway, may not be for her but that is how it starts family gatherings and people always nit pic about whats on or not on ur plate. Plus im a hum bug around thanksgiving. I lost mom on 22 two yrs ago .. And I eat for comfort. Or whatever so I hope I will not overeat.
I am glad my kids will be with me this year. So that,im thankful for.

Yep its one day but I can see op point. Well for me anyway, may not be for her but that is how it starts family gatherings and people always nit pic about whats on or not on ur plate. Plus im a hum bug around thanksgiving. I lost mom on 22 two yrs ago .. And I eat for comfort. Or whatever so I hope I will not overeat.
I am glad my kids will be with me this year. So that,im thankful for.
I can relate to what you are saying. I lost my fiance 10 years ago during the holidays. Also, my family thinks I'm weird because I don't eat Southern, country-style food anymore.

I can relate to what you are saying. I lost my fiance 10 years ago during the holidays. Also, my family thinks I'm weird because I don't eat Southern, country-style food anymore.

Same here. My brother died on Thanksgiving Day. This is the first time we're having Thanksgiving dinner at the home I was in when I got the call. Actually, it will be the first time I've been in that home since that day. I very much don't want to go and I get a sick feeling at the thought. My sister and I both offered to host in our homes, but we got major push back from the hostess. I think perhaps that part of the family has forgotten the impact of that day/location on us and we don't want to hurt our hostess's feelings by mentioning it (lots of family drama I won't bore you with).

I will go, because life goes on and if you try to avoid everything that causes you pain, well, you might as well quit now. But I sure wish I could avoid this one. My guess is that I won't be eating a whole lot, but fortunately, I'm not in a family that notices or picks on people for what they eat...that would stink and I feel badly for those of you who get that kind of pressure.

I hope you don't mind that I posted this....I got a little emotion out while writing this...I need to keep working on it so that I can make it through the day without getting visibly upset and ruining the holiday for everybody else. Feel free to pm me with your bill for this little bit of therapy. ;-)

Try going when you're the only vegetarian! Just eat what you like - nothing more or less. Be glad you're in a situation where you have a choice!! (Read: you have food at all - many don't)

melagras and Trixoo,
I'm very sorry to hear that your Thanksgiving comes with a difficult memory:(

As for the food, I know it is hard to eat with people who simply don't share your style of food - I can't even imagine being the only vegetarian especially on Thanksgiving, by the way.

I think several others have made great points.
It potentially doesn't come without the comments of others which can sort of bring the mood down especially if you've had excessive comments made time after time and have perhaps become a bit sensitive to it.
Anyway, just do your best to politely say No Thank You, bring something(s) that you like to eat and share it, and have a good time and enjoy the day:)

Trixoo said:
Same here. My brother died on Thanksgiving Day. This is the first time we're having Thanksgiving dinner at the home I was in when I got the call. Actually, it will be the first time I've been in that home since that day. I very much don't want to go and I get a sick feeling at the thought. My sister and I both offered to host in our homes, but we got major push back from the hostess. I think perhaps that part of the family has forgotten the impact of that day/location on us and we don't want to hurt our hostess's feelings by mentioning it (lots of family drama I won't bore you with).

I will go, because life goes on and if you try to avoid everything that causes you pain, well, you might as well quit now. But I sure wish I could avoid this one. My guess is that I won't be eating a whole lot, but fortunately, I'm not in a family that notices or picks on people for what they eat...that would stink and I feel badly for those of you who get that kind of pressure.

I hope you don't mind that I posted this....I got a little emotion out while writing this...I need to keep working on it so that I can make it through the day without getting visibly upset and ruining the holiday for everybody else. Feel free to pm me with your bill for this little bit of therapy. ;-)

I think sometimes writing helps. Write more if ud like! I try to b happy too. Ive always been a clown to cover alot of pain. Laughter is the best medicine so I joke alot. But I have to say I have come alng way. When I was younger I was bitter about holidays. I had no family at the time.. Id get shipped to emergency shelter homes to have christmas n such with strangers. I hated it I wNted to be home with my real mom. So after I was of age I lived close to her and so happy I did. I now think im happy to have had my mom since then. But I still get to where im like really? Do I have to smile and get in the "holiday spirit? Cant I just sleep?" Lol but.. Now I hope to try n put on happy face for my boys and DH. And hopfuly ill really feel good this time... And step away from the pie!

Social Gathering

Three strategies that I use when I must attend a social gathering and doubt I will want to eat what is served:

1. Eat beforehand so that I am not hungry.
  2. Carry snacks in my bag.
  3. Bring a dish that I like.

Eat anything that you want to enjoy. Don't deprive yourself. HTH!

Happy Thanksgiving, Cathletes! :)

I can really relate to all the family drama, southern food, and people being offended if you aren't eating something in a combinatin of my side and my in-laws, which I'm much closer to actually. Either there's food I'm not interested in and they will be offended, or there's food I want, but it's something with tons of calories like a great big bowl of gumbo and rice w/crab legs on new years. omg. yum!

so in addition to bringing some healthy dishes, and just getting what you want as much as possible, try to portion out your food so it's ready to go for when you come back, if you have the freezer/fridge room. Or at least make a plan of your menu and workouts for after.

Also, getting that workout in helps, specifically, doing a workout with an afterburn effect or a workout that makes u sore after. for me, that's plyo. something like sts plyo legs. lots of jumping lunges, squats, jumping/turn squats, speed skaters. If I'm sore during the big meal, it's a reminder to not eat back my calories in pie. it doesn't always work, but it also prevents you from gaining very much.

and after all treat it as just 1 meal. make your other meals healthy, try to bring a healtheir dessert if you can. maybe see if a friend can be your workout buddy later in the week, to make sure you gtet back on track.

Also I can relate to all the drama at holidays. my side of the family is always very dramatic me included. I just thought it was normal for a really long time growing up. I also understand what it's like to not live with your mom, and then live with her again. it wasn't as rosy as I had thought it would be. but I've tried to learn from it. and we are trying to be much less dramatic raising our kids. holidays are for getting along, not telling off your relatives that you haven't seen in ages.

Anyway, good luck with it. remember it's just food. It's only 1 meal. Try to enjoy yourself with your friends or family. maybe get the family involved in a game. my family is a big fan of taboo and video games.

Try going when you're the only vegetarian! Just eat what you like - nothing more or less. Be glad you're in a situation where you have a choice!! (Read: you have food at all - many don't)

That's the kind of attitude we should all have! I'm going to my boyfriend's parents for Thanksgiving this year, and yet as someone following a vegan diet I'm not nervous at all!

I'm bringing a few things that I can both share with others and enjoy myself: a sweet potato pecan casserole, a cashew "cheesecake", and some mini veggie pot pies with a mashed lentil gravy inside. I also plan to eat all the acorn squash, green beans, mashed potatoes (his mom always reserves a lump before she adds the butter and milk :) ) and fresh bread that I want to. That's as much or as little as I want to eat by the way.

I agree that it's all about perspective. Food is a beautiful part of life. Embrace it, enjoy it, and don't let the opinions of others get in your way of doing that.

Well, I would eat especially if someone makes your fave. Portion control is the big thing. Gluten-free doesn't equal healthier unless your body requires it.
Remember, Cathe will be waiting for you on Friday......

Well, I would eat especially if someone makes your fave. Portion control is the big thing. Gluten-free doesn't equal healthier unless your body requires it.
Remember, Cathe will be waiting for you on Friday......
Yeah and she is going to kick my butt! I feel the DOMS already.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.