tax prep

3kids

Cathlete
Getting ready to do the inevitable taxes. Anyone ever use Jackson Hewitt? We used H&R for years but they charged us almost $600 last year! I called Jackson and they were about half that. I was going to attempt them myself but with my DH's side business, DD college, and NY state prep, it's too confusing for me(not too good with numbers). Thanks for any and all input:7

Personally, I wouldn't go to either. I would head to a smaller firm with a CPA. If things are similiar to how they are around here, the smaller firm's fees would be very close to either JH or H&R and you would get better service and someone with more knowledge.

Just my two cents...

>Personally, I wouldn't go to either. I would head to a
>smaller firm with a CPA. If things are similiar to how they
>are around here, the smaller firm's fees would be very close
>to either JH or H&R and you would get better service and
>someone with more knowledge.
>
>Just my two cents...

ITA! Or find someone who is accountant but will do your taxes as a side job, that's what I did. Paid $75 to have mine done!

We thought that too. We called a few CPA's around here but they were not very helpful about giving us an estimate, they actually seemed kind of mad that we would even ask. I would make an appointment with a CPA but I don't want to have the taxes done and get a shock of a bill like we did last year. The thing that makes us go to a chain like that is the fact that if we did get a bill like last year, we can get it taken right out of the refund.(Which is good because I don't have an extra $600 laying aroundx( ) Our neighbor offered to do them, but her DH works with my DH and I feel funny having her know my financial info. I would rather a CPA because they have more knowledge. We helped the guy so much last year, we felt cheated.

never had an issue with jackson hewitt myself. hated h & r block! at least around here the service is deplorable. local CPAs charge alot out of pocket which is not always an option for us that is why we choose the get it in 2 weeks assisted refund,fees taken out of the refund,no out of pocket, and it the cheaper of the loan options. but that is just us personally. you just have to be a pain and ask a lot of questions your visit(i am sure with most places this is a case). otherwise when we returned this year they already have the info already and just needed our W2s and asked about any new deductions we might have. they do have a consultation fee of $35 if you sit with them but no do taxes with them as well.
kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1307/4842454/16585805/276676894.jpg

Ask your friends, family, and/or co-workers who they use. I think that's one of the best ways to get a good tax preparer. If someone gives you a glowing recommendation, call to ask your questions and tell them they were recommended by whoever. That's a great ice-breaker and I think they will go the extra mile to give great service.

Angie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.