T-Tapp

Megfayrod

Has anyone heard of this T-Tapp and if so have you done it. It sounds to good to be true. Just wondering if it is!!
Meghan

I'm not really sure. It's a personal trainer who puts out videos. People claim to lose 12/15 inches in a month etc. The web site is T-Tapp.com. I just never know what to believe anymore.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-01 AT 05:51PM (Est)[/font][p]bumping and looking for a miracle!!

just did a search on t tapp and ran into a collage video page where collage says they choose not to carry the videos... without explaination.

If you go to the most recent Videofitness.com forums there are two threads for reviews going. One of them states it is negative. I haven't read them yet but I know they are there. Sorry I couldn't provide the link, but sometimes that site is sooooo slow! I understand the program is similar to Callenetics in some ways, but they also promote skin brushing and some other techniques to tighten up skin. Good luck. Janet

I don't actually know anything first hand but from a couple of reviews I've read, it sounds like she teaches dangerous form and technique, that's all I remember. I got the impression that she's not that interested in industry standards as far as safety rules go. I guess I should go find that review again and double check what it says. I don't want to be blasting Ms. T for no good reason, after all.

If there's anyone who actually does her tapes, please let us know if this is right or if I've just understood wrong. Thanks.

Okay, this is what I found. A lady named Stephanie Bridges, who reviewed The T-Tapp System for Video Fitness, states:

"The key to T-Tapp from what I got is completely different than weight training, you DO lock your joints during some moves and the emphasis is keeping all muscles tense during the workout"

So I think that's what gave me the impression Teresa Tapp isn't into industry standards. Cathe, as well as many other instructors say never to lock your joints and that certain muscles should be as relaxed as possible while working others because you don't want to detract from what you're concentrating on.

Anyway, maybe the workouts are great for all I know. I just think I've already got so many good videos already (and not enough time in which to do them all) that I don't feel like experimenting with something that sounds kind of fishy.

BUT

but...
i am thinking the lock joint with muscles supporting may be a lot differnt than a lock with the joints suffering from leverage on them.

In yoga i have recently started straightening my legs like i used to do before i learnt not to lock the knee ..but NOW i am pulling up on the knee cap and using the muscle support around the knee ...
I think this is very really diffent than sinking into the joint and wobbling on it....

but maybe risky..
i saw on the website for TTapp that being a fraction of an inch off on the moves can take away from the benefits...

that would scare me... I know people need a lot of help getting the form on ANY move just right...... How will people do this right with that kind of low tolerance.

I am still curious... I never heard of this till yesterday.

i did read its a blend of pilates, yoga etc with lunges and what not... so its not really exotic and new......
I was not able to find a clear statement about what is special about the program.
is is expensive?
I felt uncomfortable about trusting the site and information.
Not enough objective outside sources praising the work yet.

you can go to www.throttlebox.com and then in the search box, type Teresa Tapp and then you can watch some of her moves she does.

I have done the bootcamp for three days and lost some inches ( sorry, don't remember exactly, it was a year ago).

I do believe you can lose inches using the t-tapp system but I also believe you need to add cardio and also use weights. (which to my understanding and somebody correct if I am wrong) Teresa really doesn't believe in using weights cause it "bulks" you up.
(again, correct me if I am wrong).
I do like her tapes for crosstraining and variety. I especially liked her Hit the Floor tape which focuses on abs.

Taparra

would anyone lose inches?

i am in good shape... pilates core strength and what not... would i lose inches?

or would someone who just had a baby or not been working out with core exercises be more likely to benefit?

this would be very interesting.

Hmmmm, that sounds fishy to me too. Any fitness professional should know that women do not bulk (like body builder kind of bulk anyway) unless they're on steroids and using extremely heavy weight! Well, I think there are something like 2% of women who are capable of bulking naturally, but they still have to use massive weights to do so. Anyway.....

I guess it sounds like Teresa is geared towards people wanting that 'dancer body' look. That's fine. I personally hope to be as beautifully sculpted as Cathe one day :D !

Wow guys! Thanks for all of the info. If it sounds too good to be true I am sure it is!! I am just going to stick to my cardio/weights!!!!
Thanks, Meghan

Hi guys...haven't posted on this forum for a while, but I do T-Tapp. I add it on to other stuff though and haven't given up lifting weights. As the blurb says, I do think you *could* give up weights if you were looking for a "dancer's body" but since I'm looking for more of a "landscaper's body" or "furniture mover's body" (just kidding - but I am lifting weights for strength, more than "toning") I won't give up the weights.

Anyway - I added it in for variety. I was/am already doing Cathe, Firm, running, soccer, yoga, power yoga, pilates, bla bla bla, and it has been an interesting addition to my routine. I do think that for some people, it may be all they need or want to do. For me, it's an add-on.

Cinza - I have not lost much by way of any inches through T-tapp. I think if you're pretty close to your goal weight/size, you won't get the kind of "results" like you see reported. What it DID seem to do for me is really add some definition to my arms and shoulders, and more importantly improve my posture and alignment - my chiropractor even commented on this. Actually, the best body I had so far (not that it's a GREAT body LOL) was when I followed up my Cathe PS rotation with a week of T-Tapp, then alternated T-Tapp with CTX upper body lifting segments. Cathe style lifting seemed to build muscle (which is what I wanted) and T-Tapp seemed to add extra shaping.

But since I'm a sample size of one, that doesn't really prove anything. YMMV.

There are more reviews now. Stephanie's are in the old review section (under T-Tapp, obviously!), there are at least two more (one of them mine) on the new reviews page, and another (more skeptical and negative, but obviously, valid) on the current threads.

HTH,
Sophie

RE: BUT

Cinza, yes, it is relatively expensive. I probably would never have tried it if I had not got my tapes in a trade.

As far as the locked joints, for instance - you make good comparisons to pilates and yoga - lots of stuff there that seems to be contraindicated by the fitness industry, but taken into context with the exercise system, it is probably not unsafe (usual disclaimer: I am not a fitness expert, nor do I play one on TV)

There is a bit of a "ballistic" quality to the movements that I am uncertain about in terms of safety - I always move slower and with more control than is shown on the videos.

Taparra gives a good recommendation wrt the throttlebox clips, they give a good indication of what the movements look like. Also, the articles on her site give some exercises.

I'll add that it tends to be a love it or hate it kind of thing! :D

Sophie

Sophie

Sophie, could you tell us what is the philosophy is?

i am on my way to look up the clips ...but maybe you have more info...
and could you tell us why it really made a difference for your upper body when you used it in rotation?

thanks...
cinza

About the "inches lost" claim

I haven't done T-Tapp but have heard that the claims on 10 to 12 inches lost was arrived at by takin LOTS of measurements. Three measurements for chest, one for waist, two or three for hips, a couple for arms, a bunch for legs, etc.

So beware when you take that many measurements, the losses add up quickly.

Dawn W

RE: About the "inches lost" claim

way to go Dawn!!
thats good reporting.

I watched the clips from throttle.com.
she had some interesting stuff. but no miracles (i dont think)

RE: Sophie

Cinza - sorry! I went out of town for a bit...

I see you started a thread at VF and I answered you there...if you need to know more give a shout.

Cheers,
Sophie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.