Streaming

janiejoey

Cathlete
I don't know about you, but where I live is in the boonies, the technology is not here and the world is passing me by. Cell phones don't work, can't get streaming...

Very sad for me. I'm hoping in the future Cathe continues to make more DVD's, so I can still benefit from her instructional genius.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Janie

I like having DVDs as well, but streaming is a really good option for travel, especially when someone is going to be away from home for long periods of time.

I like owning the actual DVD as well, however, like IslandRose mentions this will be great for travel!!

I also like owning DVD's. Not to mention I already own all of Cathe's DVD's/downloads, except her latest ones. Last year DH and I went to Italy and Germany, their internet was so slooooow:roll eyes: I was so glad I had my workout dvd's/downloads with me in Europe:D I know, streaming is the future and maybe I am getting old, but I still like my dvd's:eek:

I live in the country too, and my internet service is not download-friendly. I'm also hoping there will be the DVD option in the future.

I can see how this would be amazing if you travelled a lot or if you don't currently own that many of Cathe's DVDs, but when I travel much and I own all of Cathe's DVDs and a good number of downloads. I'm fortunate that our Internet can handle the streaming, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense. Janie Joey, I also like having real DVDs and would be sad if they were no longer produced. I don't think the plan is to discontinue DVD production, though. At least I hope not!

The thing that I'm most intrigued by is the Cathe Live fitness channel. Does that mean we could stream Cathe's classes from her gym in NJ? The option to follow along with Cathe's "regular" classes might push me over the edge to purchase that subscription, assuming the video quality was acceptable and that the class videos would be archived (since I don't think following along with them in real-time would be possible for my schedule).

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Same here. I would be so disappointed if DVDs are no longer going to be an option. While I am excited about the live classes and I think it would be interesting to throw in a live class session in my regular routine every now and then just to mix things up a bit, I would rather have an actual physical DVD for a major Cathe release (i.e. STS, Xtrain, Hardcore series, etc...). I know streaming is the wave of the future, but please please please don't stop producing DVDs.

I agree, streaming comes in handy occasionally and am interested in learning more about the Cathe Live Fitness Channel. But I still love and want the DVD's, please don't stop making them!

Cathe Live Classes from our Gym

I can see how this would be amazing if you travelled a lot or if you don't currently own that many of Cathe's DVDs, but when I travel much and I own all of Cathe's DVDs and a good number of downloads. I'm fortunate that our Internet can handle the streaming, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense. Janie Joey, I also like having real DVDs and would be sad if they were no longer produced. I don't think the plan is to discontinue DVD production, though. At least I hope not!

The thing that I'm most intrigued by is the Cathe Live fitness channel. Does that mean we could stream Cathe's classes from her gym in NJ? The option to follow along with Cathe's "regular" classes might push me over the edge to purchase that subscription, assuming the video quality was acceptable and that the class videos would be archived (since I don't think following along with them in real-time would be possible for my schedule).

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

As far as Cathe live goes, yes we will be broadcasting several of Cathe's classes from our Gym each month. Some of these classes may be broadcast live while others will be prerecorded. Regardless, all classes will be be recorded and available for you to watch whenever you want. The idea behind Cathe Live is to give you classes as Cathe usually does them without editing, stage makeup and a pre-planned and rehearsed workouts.

Cathe is at her best when she doesn't follow a scripted routine and just uses her instincts and her 30 years of experience teaching group fitness. This is what we hope to share and bring to everyone with Cathe Live.

In addition to group classes we will also offer Cathe workouts called "Cathe One on One" that will be filmed in our filming studio, throughout our gym and even outside. These classes will usually feature just Cathe, but she will occasionally have guest exercisers that will join her for the workouts too including many of you. These one on one workouts will cover a variety of interests and feel free to make suggestions on what you would like to see in our Cathe TV forum.

We're not Abandoning DVDs

Same here. I would be so disappointed if DVDs are no longer going to be an option. While I am excited about the live classes and I think it would be interesting to throw in a live class session in my regular routine every now and then just to mix things up a bit, I would rather have an actual physical DVD for a major Cathe release (i.e. STS, Xtrain, Hardcore series, etc...). I know streaming is the wave of the future, but please please please don't stop producing DVDs.

Don't worry, we're not going to stop making DVDs anytime soon and will make them as long as it is profitable to do so. Launching our new streaming service doesn't mean we are abandoning DVDs. In fact it probably means we will be able to continue to sell DVDs longer than we would have otherwise since we will have revenue from both streaming and DVDs. As DVD revenue declines, streaming revenue should increase. DVD companies that don't invest and plan for the future, like Blockbuster Video, will go out of business.

Also, there are still advantages for fitness DVDs over streamed exercise videos. With movies "chapter points" and "premixes" are not something that are either offered or something people usually care about. So a streamed movie is just as good as a DVD movie for most people. With exercise videos this is not necessarily the case. So, I think you will see fitness DVDs last longer than most other types of DVDs, but they will certainly be replaced in the future by streaming. When this will be - Who Knows?

I think it would be absolutely fantastic to be able to do a workout with Cathe as one of her regular classes without the staging and makeup. I would love, love, love that. And the idea of one-on-one's with Cathe - brilliant.

On the other hand, I too am not ready for absolute streaming, but I'm definitely open to it. This old dog can learn new tricks. And I am willing to invest in it if it's worth it for me.

The Future of Streaming

The good news about streaming is it's going to get easier and faster to use very soon. This is going to be a major push by companies like Apple, Google, Amazon etc. Even people in rural areas will soon have access to fast internet probably led by the invasion of the drones! So, it should be interesting to see how streaming progresses over the next two years.

The biggest reason I'm not too thrilled about streaming is the cost in the long run. I'd like to own the workout instead of renting/streaming... it's like paying for apartment rent instead of buying a house.

Pros and Cons of Streaming

There are certainly pros and cons for both streaming and DVDs. But one important thing with streaming is that you don't have to pay for new releases. We're also going to offer a "Cathe Live" only subscription once we get going, so if you prefer your DVDs and want to purchase Cathe Live separately, you will be able to.

Time difference for cathletes living

Hi,

I hope time difference will be taken into account for us cathletes not based in US. We would like to be part of the live fun and party too:eek::):). I am particularly interested in Q&A, discussion on upcoming programs. Would that, exclusively be part of cathe live subject to subscription?:)

This is all super for SNM and Cathe! Unfortunately, I'm in the same rural boat so the DVDs work best for me. Besides that, I just "graduated" to advanced workouts and I've been doing this month's rotation. As such, the pause button has become my best friend for the time being while my body adjusts and I couldn't live without that function for sure! It's a whole lot better than quitting!

Congratulations Cathe and SNM on a job well done, as always!

Susan:)

Having access to all of Cathe's already released workouts is of no use to me since I own 99% of her releases already, and I am thinking that Cathe has already released more than 50% of the total she will release in her lifetime.

However, 'Cathe live' could be interesting: I am assuming these "live" broadcasts would be recorded for access at whatever time? If we had to tune in at an exact time to catch the workout "live" it would be less useful. I can't workout to someone else's schedule, my life doesn't allow for 2 pm workouts, for example.

I get that streaming will eventually replace everything: I am not lucky enough to have my own computer, tablet or smartphone of any kind.

Just feedback.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.