steel cut vrs instant oatmeal

Sissy1983

Cathlete
does anyone know if there is any nutritional difference between the two? The DH wants to know what makes it so better than instant?

melissa

Nutrititionally I believe they are equal. I just like the chewier rustic texture of steel cut oats. Rolled oats are mushier. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Steel cut oats take a litte longer to cook because rolled oats have been steamed already.

Instant oatmeal, I believe, is LOADED with sugar (I'm thinking of the Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets - if that's what you are talking about). I've never used the steel cut oats. I use the Quaker 1-minute regular oatmeal which has 1g of sugar. Where do you FIND steel cut oats? I've not seen them in my supermarket.

Instant oatmeal, I believe, is LOADED with sugar (I'm thinking of the Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets - if that's what you are talking about). I've never used the steel cut oats. I use the Quaker 1-minute regular oatmeal which has 1g of sugar. Where do you FIND steel cut oats? I've not seen them in my supermarket.

I bet you are right princessbear, the o/p was referring to the instant packets. I was thinking rolled oats I guess because i never use those instant packets-i forgot those even existed, like you say they are loaded with sugar.

In our store the regular rolled oats and the instant oats are located in the cereal isle but the steel cut oats are located in the isle where the rice and dried beans and such are. I use Bob's Red Mill.

I prefer to eat steel cut oats because they are less processed. They have not been steamed and rolled. I don't know if it there is a numerically measurable benefit, but I feel the benefit to me is that I am eating it in closer form to how it grew.

Also, if you haven't tried eating steel cut oats uncooked I recommend it. I like to soak them overnight in either water, juice, or almond milk. I will throw in some chopped nuts, chopped fresh fruit. Another option is to throw in some dried fruit to soak with the oats overnight. I soak about twice as much liquid to oats. In the morning I have a chewy raw treat for breakfast!

Monica

You might like this article:

http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles/oatmeal/oats.asp

I've switched to Steel Cut whenever possible; I prefer the flavor, fewer additives (which the packets have), and because the fiber is not as broken down it fills me up for a longer time. Since I'm making this in a rice-cooker, it doesn't take me any longer; I pop it in when I get up; and by the time I work out, shower, and change for work, it's ready to go. I also add yogurt and fruit; rarely, a few nuts.

I've personally found that frozen steel cut oats do ok reheated, although they are not as firm; normally I make a little extra for those days when I'm running late.

Last edited:
Another question along these lines....what is Irish oatmeal? I celebrated child #3 starting college by shopping at Harris Teeter for groceries today! Oh, my! It is a wonderland of choices when compared to the teeny tiny Food Lion in our town! I was overwhelmed by the shelves of oatmeal ... Regular, instant, Irish, steel cut and many others! And then of course all the types of grits! Oy vey!
Anyone know the difference?

Becky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.