stationary bikes Help!

maureen

Cathlete
I received some money for Christmas to purchase a new bike. Can
anybody give me any ideas on which one is better than the next.
This is my main source of cardio in the winter. I have a bad knee
and will no longer be able to do any impact. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

Caroline Knorr
I have a wind trainer, which is a stand that turns any regular bike into a stationary bike. You just attach the back wheel axle to the stand. I bought mine at a biking store, but I think you can even buy them at Target now, although they do vary in quality. Mine was about $150. For workouts, I bought a Spinervals tape and my husband even bought this computer program that allows him to "race" other bikes. For videos, check out spinervals.com. I just did a google search and found an online review of the CycleOps wind trainer at this web site:
http://www.roadbikereview.com/Rollers/CycleOps,Wind,Trainer/PRD_28507_2508crx.aspx. One word of caution. Wind trainers are kind of loud and they can kind of vibrate on the floor, so they're aren't great for apartment dwellers.
-Caroline

I have a Schwinn Airdyne, which is totally mechanical. Hospitals and gyms use them and they last forever. I like having the arm handles for an upper body workout that you get at the same time as the lower body workout.

Just Do It! :)

I have the V-bike spin bike. It's quiet and the seat is comfy! I also do Spinervals with it as well as spin vids.

Andrea

I also have a Schwinn Airdyne. The computer part did fail on my after 10 years, but I bought a new one for $70 at a local bike shop. I like it because it blows air, it lets me use my upper body as honeybunch says, and it's very simple. I use it 2 or 3 times a month for a cardio workout. I often pop in IntervalMax or Gin Miller's Intense Moves and do intervals when the tape does. It is a great workout. I end up riding about 12 miles with Gin Miller. I stop Cathe around interval 9 at 12 miles and cool down a bit, the warm-up is quite long on IMax for following with the bike. Anyway, it's a great option to have. It really builds legs and cardiovascular capacity while not stressing my knees much at all.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.