Starting a new chapter..... HELP

elliemom

Cathlete
My youngest is going to kindergarten!!!

A little history......... I went to college, became a nurse, worked and bought a house, got married at 33 and had a baby at 37 and 40. I am now 45 and sending my baby to school. NOW WHAT?????

I have spent the last 8 years at home with them. They are my life. My DH travels a lot so I am truly a SAHM!!!!

I am nervous (but excited) about starting a new chapter in my life. but where do I go from here???? Do I go back to school?????? get a part time job? Eat bon bons all day??? WHAT???????

The first person that says VOLUNTEER will be on my blacklist!!!! I already do that. and I am the VP of PTA for the school.

Am I too old to pursue a second degree and career??? Am I gonna feel like a grandma at a college??????? Or should I just pledge a sorority and run with it?

All ideas and suggestions are appreciated. EXCEPT the VOLUNTEER thing!!!

Ellie,

You are at a perfect spot in your life to start a new chapter. Everything is open to you. Go for what you want to do or passionate about, even if that means going back to school.

Now is the time for you, so enjoy life and do the things you want and do best. It's all about attitude now. You are not to old for anything at this point.

Have a great time, and keep us posted.

Janie

Last edited:
Hi, Ellie! Hugs to you sending off DS #2 to school. It's definitely one of those bittersweet moments.

Did you keep up your nursing certs, or what would it take to re-certify? Since DH travels a lot you'll still need to be accessible to the kids while they're in school and with their extracurricular activities. How about a school nurse, or even a nurse in a doctor's office? Probably less stressful and better hours than in the ER.

I know you've done training at DH's but is there a position for you there -- or is that too much togetherness?:cool:

Not sure of another career direction to point you to, but you're never too old to go to school. (Just can't imagine myself going back to school - ugh!)

Good luck!:D:D:D

Good question

Do you still want to do nursing? You could go back to work part time?
You are never too old to go back to school. Never. My grandmother went back and earned her degree in Psychology/Social Work. That was in the 1960s. She was much older. Its ok to be a person with some miles on your moccasins when you go back to school. If anything, you would be awesome!!!! You can pledge a sorority if you want to. You don't have to do that, I should warn you they are a major time sink. You may wish to go to school rather than join a sorority (although if I go back I will be pledging lol!!!) They tend to expect you to volunteer a lot. Keep that in mind!

Do you want to go back to school? Is there something that you would like to do? Do you want to be a scientist? What do you want to be? What makes you the happiest?

Me personally, I play the what would I do if I won the lottery game. This helps me stay focused. For me, its I would open a bakery, paint, and create a video podcast all about healthy eating. I already bake. I'm a videographer. All I personally need now is a day job (I'm working on that.)

So, I know this is a bit of a ramble but oh well. . . I guess what I am asking is, what would fulfill you as a person? You already have the kids, the home, the volunteer thing, the education, and your Cathletes. If you were to die tomorrow, what would you wish you had done but didn't get the chance to?

I say find something you are passionate about and love to do. There's nothing worse than being stuck in a "job" you don't like. I agree with the suggestion of something part time and that would accommodate school and extracurricular activities.

Oh and you are never too old to go back to school and pursue a new career ;) Good luck.

Since everyone else already offered up my sentiments, I just want to offer you good luck and happiness in whatever you decide. :D

Enjoy your "New Life".

A shout out to my sister of "being an old broads sending a 5.5 year old to kindergarten!!"

Oh, did you love nursing? As a recruiter I can tell you they are sooooo in demand. Part time /Fulltime It doesn't matter. If that doesn't float your boat, go back to school. Maybe in something that compliments your nursing backgroud. Or something totally new. Ellie, you could pull anything off. The kids in that lucky college would adore you.

Or you could always volunteer. :p

I know nurses are in demand and you could probably name your own hours. But don't begin to think that just because your boys are in school that going back to work outside the home is required. The boys will want mom to be home when they get home. They will no doubt need Mom's Taxi service too. And homework help. There's PTA and classroom chores to volunteer for too. Good luck with whatever you decide to aim for. I know you'll succeed with all of your energy and enthusiasm.

My personal opinion is.......it's ok to do nothing! YOU deserve it! I have two more years until I send my last of three out into the big world of school and I am so looking forward to sitting back, relaxing and actually finding out what it is that I really want to do. What I'm trying to say is, I don't think you have to know right now. You might find that being home is quite peaceful. 3 o'clock comes around pretty quick! ;) When you get bored with that something great will show up!:D
Best of luck to you and your kindergartener.

Ellie - I'm inclined to agree with Wendy (wgilchrist). I wouldn't step into anything too soon...give yourself a little time to adjust. The end of the school day DOES come around rather quickly, especially if you're running errands, etc. Make sure to take some time for yourself, okay?

I say enjoy! Also, I loved going on field trips with the kids and helping with different things at school. That way, from early on, I was getting to know the other kids too.

Joanne

Well as you know Ellie - I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU! I'm a lawyer, had my kids at 35, 37, and 40 -- put my career on hold to be a SAHM and the youngest is headed to k'garten next week. I'm not terribly inclined to go back to fighting with people.

I LOVE fitness -- so you know I'm doing my first bodybuilding/figure comp in 6 weeks. (Now this also has to do with the fact that I have a horrible body image and see myself as 400 pounds in every mirror. So I kind of have to do this) AND I'm running for political office.

The fitness thing is my love - the politics thing is an extension of the legal study with the goal of helping people (it's a VERY local office) So what do YOU want to do? Anything you can do with the nursong that is an extension of it? We "old lady professionals" gotta' stick together you know. :p

Thanks everyone!!!

yes, I have kept up my NJ license and obtained a Delaware one also. I LOVE nursing, but just can't do 12 hour shifts in the ER anymore. I know I will still be busy with the boys, and they are my primary priority. I am just a really high energy type of person and want to dooooooo something.

All my friends tell me I should teach nursing, but don't want to get back into looooooooong college hours for a doctorate.

What do you guys think of trying some classes at our local community college? Maybe get a feel for what I some new things?????

And, as most of you know, my house is already clean and uber organized, so it's not like I will have much to do around the house.

I'll tell you what though, my body better be in TIP TOP shape because I have NO excuses now!!!!!!!!!

Melissa, I volunteer YOU for finding me something to do!!!!!!!!! I expect a full report by tomorrow

Here's another old broad sending her baby to Kindergarten this year. I'm 46! This year I'm recuperating from my 8 years of being a SAHM and then I'll think about doing something else.

Ellie, in ALL seriousness, girl. My vote......CHILL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! No kidding! CHILL OUT and give yourself a break. Enjoy some peace and quiet that doesn't fall on your house all that often. Enjoy cleaning your bathrooms and clearing out the fridge without the frazzled rush and practice in an hour.

CHILL OUT!!!

And I really honestly mean that.

When I sent my baby to school full time 2 years ago, I did just that....CHILLED OUT!!! I took some time and just enjoyed some alone time. I read some books that I've had on my to-read list. I started hitting my scrapbooks HARD. I reconnected with some long-lost friends and enjoyed THE QUIET! I felt guilty at first, but after a while, it really became the time for ME to think and reflect on how lucky I am. I found myself over the last 2 years and have a pretty good connection with MYSELF! OK, OK, that sounds cheezy, but it's true.

So, long story short, I vote chill out and relax. When/IF the urge hits you to work for a pay check or something similar, find something where you enjoy being like the kids' school (Monitor, 'lunch lady', etc so you can work around their schedules) or your library, etc.

CHILL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because you deserve it!

Gayle

p.s. When you get yourself in that 'tip top shape' you mentioned, I'll arm wrestle you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with Catherine, . find something you love and go for it. It sounds to me like you really want to go back to school. Go for it. No you won't be a grandma. I mean common have you seen yourself, . . you look amazing! I took some ballet classes at my local community college and I was thinking of enrolling in the police acadamey and I'm no spring chicken. Don't sweat it. Focus on you and your goals, . . .everything will work out fine. You'll be one of the best students in the class trust me, . . . . when I was in college back in the days, . .it was always the mom's that were the most responsible and always did well on tests and homework. I feel like I am a much better student now than I was when I was 18. Good luck!

i say take any opportunity to do what you love! you are never to old to go back to school if that is what you think is best. by dh's college has ppl of all ages. half my daughter's teachers are still going for their master's there as well and they are well into their late 40s and 50s.

and i hope the ppl giving this thread a low rating see that, not to late for you to get an education either ;) or a life.

i will just bump that up there b/c its a great conversation

kassia

Ellie...what would you LIKE to do? You seem very passionate about nursing and teaching would certainly be cool. I say make a list and explore some opportunities and take it from there. As long as it's rewarding.....;)

Well, without reading all the other posts, I just want to ask you this - What have you never done that you always dreamed of doing? I would do that! If it means school for a second career, go for it! It is never too late and you're never to old to go back to school! I still want to go back - again (I've already been twice!) and study one or two more areas.

If it means getting more skilled at a hobby you've put off to take care of your family, do that.

The world is your oyster, really! Take your time and make sure you're doing what you really want to do and I look forward to hearing what you decide!

What an exciting time for you!

Ellie,

My very good friend is a nurse, and also loves her job. She does not have any desire to work in a hospital ER because of those long hours. She works in an OBGYN clinic. Maybe a clinic setting is something you could do part time, while the kids are at school.

Just an idea.

I also agree with Gayle. Maybe relax a bit.

My friend has told me about the training and issues associated with being a nurse. I hold your profession in a VERY high regard. :) Thank you.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do! :)

P.S. My friend is also SUPER clean and organized. It must be a nurse character trait. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.