Soup for Dinner

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Now that the weather is getting colder I am really craving soup for dinner. It's easy to make and the variations are endless and healthy too. Do you guys have any good and fairly easy recipes you could share? I like soups that are thick almost like stew. I was at shoprite last night and came across a new Campbell's soup to go. It was in a pouch and it had chicken quinoa corn. It was so yummy with some oyster crackers. So yummy I want to have the rest of it for dinner tonight!

I saw that new Campbell's soup in the store today, wondered if anyone had tried it. I like thick soups, too! Do you like to cook? How much do you want to make of a soup? I make a really nice butternut squash soup and others, but if you don't like to cook, I can suggest some shortcuts to things that I do to make it easier :)

I would love some good soup recipes, and if they are for the slow cooker, even better!. Nothing like coming home to a hot bowl of soup already cooked and ready to eat!

This recipe is so easy and delicious. We eat it all the time in the winter!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients

4 to 5 chicken breasts (thawed but not cooked -- and cut into large pieces)
two 15-oz. cans black beans, undrained
two 15-oz. cans Rotel tomatoes, undrained
one 15-oz. can of corn, undrained
one cup salsa (mild, medium or hot, whichever you prefer)
one 4-oz. can chopped green chilies
one 14.5-oz. can tomato sauce

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in large slow cooker
2. Cover. Cook on Low for 8 hours.
3. Just before serving, stir soup to shred chicken.
4. Ladle soup into bowl and top with cheese. Enjoy! (You can also put toasted corn tortilla strips on top).

Here you go for one of my winter favorites:

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 onion or shallot, diced (your choice, what you have in the house)
4 cups cubed butternut squash
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (because you are healthy :))
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic (optional)
1 tbsp chopped chipotles in adobo sauce (optional)

Directions:
Heat oil in a dutch oven pot (I use my enameled cast iron pot because it gives me an extra workout). Throw in the carrot, celery and onion - if using the garlic and chipotles, add them now. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in butternut squash, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender to purée soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully purée in batches in a traditional blender.

If you use the chipotles in adobe sauce, the soup will have a little heat to it for these cold nights. If you don't mind the couple of extra calories, then crumble up some queso fresco on top of the soup when you serve it... Enjoy!!!!

Nutritional: (this is my best guess if you go with 6 servings and ingredients that are not optional)
140 calories (50 from fat), 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 6g protein

Elle

Thanks ElleJay and JeanneMarie for these recipes :D I crave soup in the fall and winter, especially since I'm so cold natured. I just spend 1.5 hours prepping a veggie soup for the Crock Pot. I don't think I'll do this one again since it took so long to get it ready, unless it's REALLY good. It called for a Buttercup squash. I've never had the Buttercup so looking forward to trying it out, but whew... peeling it was no fun. I'm looking forward to trying the Tortilla & Butternut soups :)

I never peel squash, I just bake it ahead of time, then it easily scoops out. If you need chunks, then I would at least partially cook it in some way, then slice/peel it.

Love the soup recipes. I've already made veggie, chicken noodle, and chilli in the last couple of weeks. Smittenkitchen has a ton of great recipes. She has them all categorized, to find things easily. She has a long list of fall, winter, soup, crock pot, and beans recipes. She calls her style "dead simple" and most of the recipes use minimal ingredients too.

I have one but it is rich.....i use low fat ingrediants to help with fat and calories...but I make sure I eat a salad with becauae it is so rich..
Potatoes soup

Potatoes about 5 ...
1 box chicken broth 16 or 24 ounce depending on how u want the thickness.
Onions diced
Boil potatoes in broth til done
But on simmer add one pkg of low fat cream cheese . Let melt
Add low fat cheeder cheese 1/2 pkg
Melt
Add some red pepper sprinkles to give spice. Optional
Add low fat ham only if u want.
Once all is melted u have a creamy
Potatoe soup.
I then make homemade cornbread .. My kids n hubby loves it.

My favorite soup til' this day is my grandmother's lentil soup. I can't duplicate it though :(. Her recipe is damn near perfection in my eye's. Anyway, I found this recipe off of the Kraft website last year:

Spicy Lentil & Kale Soup recipe at Kraftcanada.com

I made it in my crock pot and it was very tasty :p. I usually like to eat it over some fresh warm slices of french baguette found at a bakery [insert me drooling here].

Natasha

Thank you ladies for all the great recipes.

JeanneMarie That soup recipe looks really good and thanks for the skinny taste website.

Black Bean Soup Serves 8
Calories: 102.8

1 pound black beans
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, sliced
Salt to taste
A few cloves of chopped garlic
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 cup dry sherry

Pick over beans to remove any dirt, stones or foreign objects. Wash well, then soak for 8 hours in ample cold water.*

Drain beans and cover with a generous amount of fresh water. Bring to a boil over high heat in a large saucepan with the bay leaf. Skim off foam, lower heat, and simmer, partially covered, until beans are just tender, about 1 hour.

Add onion and continue to cook until onion becomes extremely soft, about 1 more hour.*

Add salt to taste and garlic. Continue to cook, adding a little boiling water if necessary, until beans are very soft, about 1-2 hours more.*

Remove bay leaf and turn off heat. Ladle beans in batches into a blender or food processor and puree, or use an immersion blender and puree soup directly in the saucepan.*

Add dry mustard powder and dry sherry. Correct seasoning. Reheat and serve, adding any garnishes you wish, such as slices of lemon or freshly chopped herbs.

Protein: 3.5 grams
Fat: 2.6 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.2 grams
Monounsat Fat: 1.3 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 0.9 grams*
Carbohydrate: 18.6 grams
Fiber: 4.1 grams
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Vitamin A: 5,138.3 IU
Vitamin E: 2.0 mg/IU
Vitamin C: 39.9 mg*
Calcium: 104.1 mg
Magnesium: 76.1 mg

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.