So Stressed and Scared

firemedic

Cathlete
I have a doctors appt. today for 2pm for results of a mammogram. Well, late yesterday afternoon, another dr. called to make sure I was aware of the abnormal mammogram and to get in touch with the other dr. Well, now I know the results are abnormal and I had to go through all of last night and now most of today just stressed and scared. I tried working out (Rapidfire 4) and I just couldn't get into it. I wasn't paying attention and I thought working out would help get my mind off of this for a little while. Working out usually helps, but I've never had this feeling before. Even last month when I put my most beloved dog down, I was able to some sort of workout to help with my mind racing and my stress, but not this time. Well, it's only 11am now and I have no idea what to do for the next few hours. My other dogs are tired because I took them on a long walk to see if that would help, but didn't. So I just thought I would come on Cathe's forums and read other threads then ended up starting this one. Well, thanks to anyone who's listening and maybe someone out there can keep a good thought for me since I cannot seem to do it for myself.

Kim

Hope everything turns out fine for you today Kim. Just keep positive thoughts going... Let us know how everything goes.

Kathy

((HUGS)) For what it is worth, I've had an abnormal mammogram. Followed up by a sonogram that was inconclusive. They sent me for a cyst biopsy - upon which they learned I was pregnant and decided to wait. Turns out the cyst resolved on its own.

So, I know first hand the stress and anxiety you are feeling. Try not to let the What If's throw you off. Deep breaths and stay in the NOW.

Kim -

{{{{HUGS!!!}}}}

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you. I also had an abnormal mammogram once, went for an MRI and it was normal. Even so, I remember how worried I was. Wish I could make it 2 p.m. so you wouldn't have to wait.

I also have gotten that call about an abnormal mammogram, and I was feeling just as you are now. My mom had had breast cancer so I thought for sure this was it for me, my turn now. I did have to have a biopsy to remove some funky-looking cells, but it was done more as a precautionary thing. No cancer and a clean bill of health. While it may be nerve wracking to wait, just take a deep breath. Be thankful we have such good technology these days which can catch even the slightest abnormality. It most likely will be nothing, and we're here for support no matter what. Why not just curl up with your sweet dogs for a bit and just relax and love on them? You'll all enjoy it! Good luck and keep us posted.

I think not knowing what is abnormal can be incredibly stressful.

I had an abnormal mammogram, then two follow-up mammograms and an ultra-sound, which turned out to be only a benign cyst and dense tissue. They had me come back in 6 months and found another issue, which led to more films on the mammogram and the discovery of a some calcifications deep in the tissue against my rib cage.

I had a biopsy done so they could take tissue and have it sent to the lab.
It came back benign and now I have a titanium marker in my breast so the radiologist will know that area needs special attention when he reads my films.

My sister had a lump in her breast and that was a cyst that resolved itself.

Long story, short .... abnormal is just that - different than regular tissue. It's not always doom, but it is always stressful. We always go to our scariest place when faced with unknowns.

Chin up and let us know how you make out. We'll be thinking of you.

I went through that last year. I had an abnormal mammogram, they called me back in to take more pics of my left breast in case the first ones they took were bad. That wasn't the case and then they did an ultra sound and it turned out being dense tissue. The one good that came out of that was the techs that did the ultra sound committed on my muscles in my chest and asked me if I worked out.

Best of luck to you and I hope everything turns out fine. Keep us posted.

Brenda

I'm a bit of a numbers nerd....this would make me feel better:

According to the American Cancer Society, about 10% of women who have a mammogram will be called back for more tests. But only 8% to 10% of those women will need a biopsy and 80% of those biopsies turn out be benign.

that's from webmd.

Your chances of it being cancer are really still quite low.

Have courage. Remember that courage is not the same thing as bravery - allow yourself to feel nervous and scared. But be courageous, and get those results knowing that you'll cope.

Very, very best wishes for later xxxx

Kim,

Hope this slight concern turn out fine and clear any doubt from the doctors.

Keep on being positive, I know it easily said than done, but anxiety or any negativity is not going to do any good at all.

Please keep us posted. Hope you get some enthusiasm resuming working out.:confused:

I know it's hard, but stay positive. I was called back for a second mammogram as well. Turned out to be nothing. My best wishes for you. Take care.:)

I had a similar experience last year as well. My OBGYN called me personally to say there was an abnormal reading and wanted to do a sonogram. Yes, very scary to hear from the dr. Mine turned out to OK. They told me I have very dense breasts, so hard to get a good reading on a regular mammogram.

My prayers that you receive positive news.

Lisa

Thank you all for your kind words and your experiences. I have to go back for follow up mammogram on the left breast and an ultra sound. But the dr. believes that it's just dense tissue like most of you told me about. So I felt a little better when I go home, so I did finally my Rapid fire workout and felt great after. I also got my new dishwasher delivered while I was gone and that also looks great. I'm trying to get back into routine and not stress about what's going to be happening next. So I did the Cathe live from yesterday and loved it. Now I just need to do some weights for later. Once again thanks for all your help and kind words. Hope everyone else has a great weekend!!!

Kim

I'm glad to read you're breathing a bit easier today, Kim.

Let us know the ultimate diagnosis. Look at you ... back to rocking the workouts! ;)

Happy for you, I have small lumbs in my left breast for years and still the same, they check me every 6 months, my mom died from breast cancer, my 32 year-old cousin from my mom side she get the bad cancer . Happy you are ok

I went for my follow up mammogram and ultrasound and everything was normal. Just wanted to update you and once again thank you for all your kind words and thoughts. It was just dense tissue.

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.