So it's not ear mites

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Vlad went to the vet yesterday evening. It's not ear mites, just a plain old ear infection. He's on some antibiotic/anti-yeast ear ointment for 2 weeks. An an ear cleaning/drying solution as well. Doggie Dr said the ears can get wet inside and when they don't dry out, the poor guys get yeastie-beasties or bacterial infections. Not uncommon. I suspect he got it from sleeping under the bushes in the back, its damp under there. Plus he has ears that flop over so its always dark in there and not much airflow. At least he doesn't seem to be feeling bad. Bouncing along as usual, just stopping to scratch his ears. He does whine when he scratches though. You would think if it hurt, he wouldn't stick his toes in there!:) Said it it should look better in a few days, but do the meds for the 2 wks. Same as for people, take it til the bottle is gone. At least now I don't have to worry about buggies in the dog bed or getting to the cat. We also found out he weighs 38 lbs now. When we got him in May he was 7 lbs. He was all legs for a while, now he's starting to fill out a bit. He's gonna be a big boy!

Nan

Hey Nan

Glad to hear no critters lurking around. Our oldest lab used to get ear infections. Not pleasant. I am constantly cleaning the babies ears. All yucky & stinky sometimes, but I don't feel it's an infection - just tators.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.