Slow and heavy

buneknek

Cathlete
This is the one that I have been eyeing but not sure if I should get it since I have all of her weight DVD like GS, STS, Xtrain & 4 DS. Would you recommend this one?

I have all of the Weight Workouts, too, the workouts you mentioned and Pure Strength as well.

Slow and Heavy is worth adding to your collection.

I don't do Slow and Heavy often - maybe once a year - but it is a killer workout, mentally and physically. If I do all the S&H workouts in one week, I am exhausted.

If it shows up as Daily Deal, don't hesitate a second. Grab it. It's a great way to mix things up.

I do not have STS, so I can't compare with that. I am currently doing slow and heavy. I say it is worth it. It is so different from the other workouts. The slow count really makes a difference. That being said, I am only into this one week. Be prepared to be extra hungry and tired, at least I was. Each body oart is about 30 minutes. In my iedeal week, I would do one body part a day with this series, but I don't want to do cardio on the same day.

Melissa

YES! So totally worth it IMO. I have all those mentioned above and I lift heavy (squats ~175# range, deadlifts 250+, blah blah blah) and I pull out SH every now and again to mix it up. I use the bi-tri and chest-back (though mostly for chest only) at least 2x month.

S&H is one of my favorites. Very effective and I love having the time to concentrate. In addition, the form pointers Cathe provides are excellent. When this one first came out, I actually invested in a squat rack because my legs got so strong! :)

S&H

I do own all DVD you listed including S&H. I have not done it often enough i must admit. I can recall it required a lot of mental focus. I think I need to revisit it. I recall being so exhausted i could not do cardio the same day :D:D:D

Glad you mention it.
Do not hesitate to add it if you love lifting as it's worth having;)

Watch out daily deals:cool:

The super slow counts are definitely different from all her other workouts. it does require more mental focus and patience though. Also the 1 minute breaks were BORING, as opposed to STS where for some reason I did not get bored. I'd recommend watching as much of the previews as you can to get a feel for it. Now that I have STS I never do slow and heavy.
Beth

I absolutely love the S&H approach. Nothing makes my muscles quiver quite like that type of training (hello dancing pecs:eek:).

chiming in a little late but.......get it.

Funny story, BF & I were garage sale-ing and I happened to notice a 40 lb. dumbbell at someone's stand, well immediately I said "you know Cathe uses one of those in slow & heavy, with the plie' squats..."

I'm pretty sure he gave me this......:rolleyes: Men don't get Cathe.

I should have bought it. Get it, it's a bargain & probably one of her most underrated workouts, really.

I should probably add...

if you want this one, Slow & Heavy, it's the deal of the day today. It's a super bargain now. Really.

Of course I looked...I always look. :D

chiming in a little late but.......get it.

Funny story, BF & I were garage sale-ing and I happened to notice a 40 lb. dumbbell at someone's stand, well immediately I said "you know Cathe uses one of those in slow & heavy, with the plie' squats..."

I'm pretty sure he gave me this......:rolleyes: Men don't get Cathe.

I should have bought it. Get it, it's a bargain & probably one of her most underrated workouts, really.

I totally agree that S&H is one of her most underrated workouts. I've had this one for years, and still do it regularly. It's super effective.

I've always wanted a 40 lb dumbbell just for this workout, but haven't ever wanted to spend the money for one. I would have gotten the one at the garage sale! I hold two 20 lb dumbbells for the plie squats, but it's tough on the hands.

SLOW & HEAVY IS DEAL OF THE DAY!!!!!

SLOW & HEAVY IS DEAL OF THE DAY!!!!!
Only $19!!!!:eek: BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

Stumptuous Krista Scott-Dixon Strength = ability to produce force. The more rapidly you can recruit all the motor neurons to march in the same coordinated direction, the stronger you can be. Training is fairly specific, which means that you'll express the abilities that you train. Train slow, recruit slow. Training to recruit force slowly is not overly helpful unless there is some very particular reason for it (e.g. rehab). Otherwise, don't bother. This protocol "feels" hard but will not enhance performance. We tried this crap out in the 90s and it didn't do much of us any good.

S&H is my favorite Cathe weight workout. It is totally different from the others (except STS, I don't own this so I can't weigh in on that). It is HARD if you truly use weights that are HEAVY for YOU.

What I find I dislike about many of Cathe's weight workouts is the seemingly endless reps and pulses and low ends and on and on. I personally prefer a slow/heavy approach as it builds much more strength for me, and for me its easier mentally to get through a set of 10 or 12 of something super hard than 50 of something kind of hard.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.