Slimming thighs and legs

Shanda

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
I was curious to know what kind of results anyone has gotten using MIS,LL. I am a pear shape and I use the firm as well as Cathe here lately I've been using Cathe more. I've been using PH at least twice a week and I just received LL today so I'll use that tonight and throw it in my rotation. I've already lost 4 inches on my hips since May and would like to lose 4 more and I want my thighs slimmer!!!!!!! and hoping to get back down to a 7/9 I'm currently a 9/10 and I'm 5'6 oh, and I also have cellulite but the firm tall box work has helped that quiet a bit.
But Cathes tapes use much heavier weight I'm hoping for great results some insight please. Thanks

Shanda

I'm really envious--I'm a pear, too, and I have been getting some good results lately with really heavy weights on the S and H shoulders and legs--45 lbs on the barbell and 2 20's when I do the plie-squats. By the way, I love your typo--I wish my cellulite would be quiet, too!

Hi Lynda,
45lbs on your barbell wow that's alot of weight. Everyone keeps saying heavy weight really helps for the legs. But has it slimmed yourlegs? or does it make them more musclar? I guess I want them toned but lean. I'm sorry about the typo I meant 7/8 (LOL).

You know, I THINK my legs are slimmer, but I haven't measured them. They were really out of shape at the beginning of the summer because I had fractured an ankle earlier in the year and just couldn't do lower body work. My husband says he thinks my butt looks more shapely, and he's really quite observant.

We are all so different! I never got thinner legs through cardio, just with a lot of weight work, and that means inner and outer thigh work, too. I was leaving that out, and when I put it in I REALLY noticed a different. I do 3 or 4 complete leg workouts every week (that would include a workout like Circuit Max or Power Circuitplus 3 others), and I vary the workouts. I do tape workouts and Cybex machine workouts at my Y. I had gotten a bunch of Firm tapes with leg work, but was not real happy with them, so now I just do Cathe tapes (PS Legs, Leaner Legs, Slow & Heavy) and go to the Y.

My legs have always had a lot of muscle, but that doesn't bother me. Better muscle than jiggle! I have been doing this intense leg work for over 3 months now, and I have finally started to get the results I want. I may have to shop for smaller britches now....what a nice problem!!!!!!

The only downside to doing this is that I have to really plan when it comes to fitting everthing else in that I want to do, like upper body weight work and cardio. Right now I'm doing the CTX series which is perfect for fitting everything in.

I wrote so much I forgot what the original question was! Did I get way off base?!

Hi Honeybunch, glad too meet you ;o) I really enjoyed reading your post. See, my frame is pear shape too, tons of fat in my thighs; OMG! and not too mention cellulite, yuckie. But, I've been firming for years now off and on. I'm truly a Firmaholic* Recently, I was introduce to Ms Cathe, and felled in love with her, really. She's awesome, hehe. So tiny but yet so strong, when I am working out with Cathe, I feel like she's struggling, just like me, I can tell she's feeling the pain too. In a good way of course, I love it!!!

Not too even mention my results, hm........I've been working out with Cathe, for maybe 3 weeks.....maybe 4. Which brings me too Cathe's site. I was told I can find her rotations. My God, I can go on and on. But, I wanted too say, I want thinner and leaner thighs too,hehe, really; with a nice round bubble butt. So I've decided to quit doing the firm for the next 2 or 3 months, well I'll still do the cardio tapes, the only ones that doesn't emphasize a$$ work alllll the time. I think that's why I can't get a bubble butt. And, on top of that, doing Cathe too. I usually workout 5 too 6 days a wk, and every tape seems to work the gluteus, you feel me?. I'm referring to the Firm, each tape I do. There's always intense butt work. I can't seem too get away from it. Therefore, I decided too ease off the Firm for a while. I believe Cathe's tapes and doing her rotation, will give me the results I so long for.

So I'm thinking too concentrate more on cardio 5 to 6x per week. And Cathe's leg work 2 to 3x a week, PH, MIS, SL&Abs, throw some cardio in, and I shall get the bubble butt and leaner thighs. Please, your comments on this issue will be appreciated. Please too meet you ;o)

Trese

Do you have access to a gym, like a local Y? I find that I need extra quad work like the kind you would get on a leg extention machine ( where I'm heading in about 1 hr and 15 minutes). If not, I have what's called an Xering from Spri products which allows me to do honest to goodness leg extentions at home. This exercise plus the inner thigh work is what made the biggest difference. And just recently, I got a Fitball, which allows me to do inner thigh work like at the gym.

Over the last 4 years, with a lot of trial and error and increasing leg work, I've finally made some headway with my problem mushy legs. It can be done, just be prepared to work very hard at it. To me, it's worth it. With no real change in my weight, I've gone from a size 10 pants to a 6 that is getting very loose. The Dockers I had on yesterday are too baggy, so I think I have to check out some 4's! And I'm very nearly 52, I might add! So much for the notion of middle age spread!!!!!!!

As for cardio, if I'm going longer per session, I do at LEAST 45 minutes, four days per week. This week, however, I'm going with less time per session with Cathe's CTX tapes (30 minutes cardio per session) but will do 5 days per week of cardio.

It really, really can be done! I am proof of that, with about the most stubborn legs around. I don't have Cathe legs yet, but I may in another 6 months or so!

You are an inspiration, HB!!! I can see I have to work harder. I do have a leg extension on my weight bench....just need to get the larger weights to accomodate it. My legs were in pretty good shape about two years ago...all 34" on them... I was doing a lot of hill climbing and hiking and swimming...but then moved and got a desk job...and it all went downhills from there. So.... MUST get back on track.

HB, you truly are an inspiration to us all! You go girl! What great results...I liked reading about all your hard work, simply to remind myself that hard work is what it takes!
I'm interested in the fitball question too, as I have been contemplating buying one soon.
Ruth :)

...and Shanda...wow!! A 4-inch loss on your hips is wonderful, especially in only 3 months. You must be working very hard too...congrats!
Ruth :)

Sit on a chair, put the sucker between your legs and squeeze with all your might. It's just like the inner thight machine at the gym. I have my fitball in my computer room so I can do it in my chair right here. Handy dandy. The instruction chart says to do it lying on your back, but I like the chair version better.

Just rereading your post HB...and again...very impressed!

Couple questions if you don't mind.

What is a fitball? Never heard of it.

Also, since we are in the same age range was curious what type of eating program you have...or do you? Although I am feeling stronger and fitter have been a little discouraged with the weight loss...and I hate to cut my calories more than what I have now...feel like I have a sensible livable diet.

I think perhaps I should pick up my cardio program. I have a two mile route along the Delaware River mapped out once I am moved...this weekend hopefully. I think I just need to work harder at some aspect of my program...and the cario is the one I procrastinate on.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Kathleen

OK, HB...you answered my question 10 minutes before I posted it!!!! LOL...how did that happen? We are both earlybirds! :-rollen

Thanks Ruth,
I only wish the scale would move some(LOL)I am pleased about the inches though, but my ideal weight is 130 and I would be doing back flips(LOL.)

Shanda

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-01 AT 05:27AM (Est)[/font][p]My eating program.............I've been doing a lot of reading in the last few years, and came up with a kind of hodge-podge that works well for me. I read the Larry North books, and he suggests eating 6 or 5 times a day, and so does the guy who wrote Body for Life. I eat 5 times a day. I am one who can eat the same thing every day and it doesn't bother me. Here's been the current plan:

Breakfast: 3/4 c of Fiber One and 3/4 c of Bran Flakes eaten as finger food, and 1 can of water packed tuna seasoned with Mrs. Dash. I eat 1/2 of this at 7:30, and the rest about 9:30 or 10:00.

Lunch: a giant salad with mixed greens (prepacked salad mixes) with grape tomatoes, fat free Italian dressing, and about 1-1/2 c. of chopped chicken breast. Plus a whole wheat pita.
I eat 1/2 of this at noon, and the other half about 3:00.

Dinner is varied, bean soup, chili and spaghetti, etc. I always have a sweet goodie to end it all, and it usually is fat free, sugar free Jello instant pudding made with skim milk. I eat 2 cups of that, which amounts to 280 calories if it's vanilla or butterscotch.

My daily total, now that I really keep track, runs about 1755. I am very satisfied with that, and don't get hungry.

THEN.....Friday I eat whatever I want, and I mean whatever. I turn into a pumpkin at midnight, so I have to jump back on the wagon. So I have to be good only 6 days at a time.

The key is don't let yourself get hungry!!!!! Deb H passed along a hint one of her instructors gave her, and that is to eat some form of protein everytime you eat a carbohydrate. I try to do that, too.

Writing everything down and measuring has helped the most of late. I just went through my shorts and came up with a pile that are too big now. Oh, Happy Day!

P.S. A fit ball is one of those things that looks like a giant beach ball. I got mine at Walmart for under $15.00

Thanks HB...I have the Body for Life book, also...and like the small meals during the day...I think it stabilizes your blood sugar. Also a reason to get up from the desk...

Good news is that we a local school has just built a fitness center and an indoor pool which will be open to the public....just in time for winter here in the Catskills...a time when it is hard to get out and exercise...so I am joining and hope to make it over at least three times a week...only a ten mile drive. It will be a nice break from exercising alone...

Think I might try that fitball also...

Kathleen

Honeybunch, for the fitball, I have a 3 pound ball that I got at Walmart, would that work?? Thanks in advance and you are definitaly and inspiration to all of us. As far as age, I'm right behind you at 48. Also, Kathleen, I wanted to say that we are almost neighbors, I live just east of Albany in Rensselaer. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend everyone. Mary

Hi Mary...small world, isn't it? I haven't been to Albany or Renssalear...but see the name quite often. I work as an Accountant for Leonard Bus Sales in Deposit and we sell to to your school district. I am was born and spent most of my life in Michigan so haven't explored a lot of New York State yet...some of the Adirondacks and Catskills...we are in the foothills along the Delaware River...just a beautiful area. So, it is nice to know we have another New Yorker here.

Take care.

Kathleen

Heck, a couple of pillows would work, also. I just feel the fitball simulates the machine at the Y more than anything else.

By the way, so much for the fear of "bulking" that I get so sick of reading about. I use really heavy weights at the Y, heavier than all the women, certainly, and heavier than most men, and my leg are getting smaller. Please remember what Cathe says in the PS series about "don't be afraid to use heavy weights...they do nice things for you."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.