Silicone muffin pans?

bethj

Cathlete
I need to replace my old metal rusted muffin pans and was wondering about the silicone ones? Has anyone experience with these? Pros and cons???
Beth

I've used them. When they first made silicone bakeware, it was too flimsy. The bread dough or cake batter was too heavy for the silicone, and the sides of the pan collapsed under the weight. Silicone ice cube trays were the worst. The silicone is much heavier now. Much better product. I have both silicone and metal pans. They work equally well for me.

My experience is different from Karen's. I love the idea of silicone baking products, but I have never found any that actually work as claimed. (Maybe I'm trying the wrong brands?) My food usually sticks to the silicone and, even worse, I don't find the foods to be baked as evenly as with metal (or glass). I have found the silicone muffin pans to be particularly bad. I much prefer a metal muffin pan lined with paper liners. Easy clean up and better end result (for me).

Lisa

I have ONE muffin recipe that will not come out of a metal pan. doesn't matter how or what it's lubricated with. the silicone one works very well..... keep in mind you need to put a silicone pan on a cookie sheet to support it when baking.
I can invert the silicone one and press on the bottoms of each cup and the muffins flip right out, nicely. for most recipes I prefer metal pan sprayed with Pam. less fuss, bakes best that way. so each has their own special niche.

I'm not a fan of the silicone muffin pans. I bought a small mini muffin tray and it is very hard to handle because it collapses under the weight of the dough. In fact, I have burnt myself multiple times trying to save it from the oven! Also, the muffins don't develop the nice crust that they have when you bake them in a metal pan.

HTH.

I have one six-muffin silicone pan. I use the cookie sheet to support it, but I still don't like it. Everything seems to stick to it. It's one I never reach for to use when baking.

I bought all kinds of silicone cupcake pans in cute shapes. Hate using them and washing them. Hard to pop cakes out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.