Should I exercise while doing cabbage soup diet?

Winter

Cathlete
Hi All,

I am trying the 7 day cabbage soup diet to jump start my diet. I can see some of you rolling your eyes..... :)

For the first 3 days you eat only fruits and veggies and the soup so I am thinking I won't have steam to exercise of if I even should.

The soup has cabbage, tom, carrots, green peppers, celery and onion.

Day 4 is banana's, skim milk and soup.

Day 5 I think is when you can add some protien.

Finally has anyone tried this and it worked? How can it not I guess.

Thanks,
Winter

You saw me do that?

Debbie

Adults are always asking kids what they want to be when they grow up because they are looking for ideas.
--Paula Poundstone

Ah, the good old cabbage soup diet. I've been on that many times, but not voluntarily! My dad used to go on it a lot when I was younger (before I took over the kitchen at home) and so my mom had to make the soup for him. She wasn't that into cooking, so all I got to eat was, guess... cabbage soup. I think I lost more weight than he ever did! I think it doubles as a thorough internal "cleanse" as well, so be prepared for that.

If you do it and plan to keep exercising, I think I would try to find a way to sneak some protein in there.

Hi there Winter,

I'll be honest...I tried this a looooooong time ago (way pre-Cathe). The gas pains I experienced during day #2 were so excruciating that I quit immediately. Cabbage can do that to you. YMMV. :)

Did you ever think about making a pot of the soup to fill in some meals like later on the day.
Eat sensibly during the am and lunch and do the soup for dinner .

That way you are only eating less at night.
Anne

Winter,

Why would you do this to yourself? I'm getting kinda gasey (sp?) just looking at that line-up x(

Good luck.

Mmmmm I forget about the starvation mode. Been there done that by starving as a teenager once.

Think I will supplement my day with this soup. The recipe I have was a bit vague so I have for sure a weeks worth of soup!!

Thanks,
Ladies!

I did this diet when I had to lose five lb real fast in
order to fit into a dress I bought for my friends wedding.
I stuck with the whole 7 days. I could not look at cabbage
soup for a long time and during the diet a baked
potato never tasted sooooooooooo good. I did fit
into the dress and I did exercise. I wouldn't do
it for more than seven days tho.

Kathy

Having been a yo-yo dieter for the past 6 years, I would say, stay away from it!

However, if you have made up your mind to do it, I don't think Cathe workouts will work with this diet, they are too high intensity for the amount of calories you are taking in (talking from experience here). I would do some exercise 4 to 6 times a week, but only like 30 min. walks twice a day, or one 45 - 60 min. walk per day (either one) with 1 - 2 min higher intensity intervals (running or fast walking) every 10 min. Don't get your heart rate higher than 65 % of you max for the walking and 75 % on the intervals.

The problem I have with the cabbage soup diet is the lack of protein in the first few days and very limited protein intake afterwards. Any diet that eliminates a particular food group (no, chocolate is not a food group :) ) is calling for trouble.

Try to eat clean and do your high intensity workouts is much more effective, in my experience. I had much better experience with eating every 2 to 3 hours, having protein shakes with fruit for breakfast and lunch, eat fruit and veggies in between, eat a "normal" meal for dinner (or switch it around 2 protein shakes, veggies, fruit, etc. and one regular meal for up to 10 days) and do progessively higher intensity workouts (for the first 5 to 10 days to kickstart it). You don't feel deprived, you can do your workouts and live a normal live.

However, if the cabbage soup diet works for you, more power to you.

Best of luck,

Carola

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.