Shelf life of natural peanut butter?

red_mct

Cathlete
What's your experience with this? I realize natural peanut butter will probably not "hold up" as well since it contains no preservatives, but even storing mine in the fridge, it seems to go very dry very fast. Just curious how long yours lasts...

Marie

When it gets a little dry in the fridge or is too cold to spread....I zap it in the microwave for a few minutes or set it in a pan of warm water. It usually spreads much easier when it is warmed up a bit first. We go through it too quick to have it sit for too long I think. If you have some that gets incredibly dry...try putting it in peanut butter cookies and get a new jar. You may have to add more oil. Hope this helps.

Briee (You do know that you HAVE to refridgerate natural peanut butter - they do not have a "shelf life" after you open them - well maybe for short while...but you are SUPPOSED to keep them refridgerated - you probably knew this :) )

I've never refrigerated my natural peanut butter. I keep a tight seal on the peanut butter jar, though. Also, I go through PB rather quickly...

I hear ya, Shelly. I've been eating thick PB&J sandwiches for lunch nearly every day these last few weeks. Yum!:9
Prior to my lastest food "trend", a jar would last about a month or so before becoming too dry to spread and I'd throw it away. I also randomly change brands, so that could make the difference also.
Susan C.M.
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://bd.lilypie.com/elmYm5.png[/img][/link]

Shelly, LOL!

You know what the scary thing is? The "regular" peanut butter I buy lasts for.... months. Literally. In the cupboard, not even refrigerated. Imagine what must be in that stuff to make it last so long!! Embalming fluid, maybe...

:7

Marie

>You know what the scary thing is? The "regular" peanut butter
>I buy lasts for.... months. Literally. In the cupboard, not
>even refrigerated. Imagine what must be in that stuff to make
>it last so long!! Embalming fluid, maybe...

I bought some Baker's Inn "whole grain" bread once. Tried a couple of pieces and didn't want any more. I had forgotten about it in the fridge, then close to 4 months later (no comments on my housecleaning skills, please!) I was (yes, finally!) cleaning out the fridge, and decided to toss the stuff. I opened it up to put it in my compost bucket for composting, and there was NOT ONE SPECK of mold on it! It may have some "whole grains" in it. But the other chemicals and )!#Y that are in it don't seem to make it suitable for human comsumption (at lest not digestion, I would imagine. If regular mold can't grow on it, how do the body's bacteria fare with it?)

I usually take mine out of the fridge and let it sit for about 15 minutes before I use it and it softens it up.

However, someone I think answered my question about whether it's okay to store it in a cupboard instead of the fridge. Does anyone else do this?

Katie

>However, someone I think answered my question about whether
>it's okay to store it in a cupboard instead of the fridge.
>Does anyone else do this?
>

No, oils can go rancid to quicky, IMO. But if you ate it up within maybe 3-4 days, it might not matter.

I have always stored mine in the cupboard. I usually have a jar for about 3-4 weeks. It has never gone bad. Also, I use Narturally More which I found with the regular peanut butter. I love it. Melissa

I encourage you all to make sure you read the ingredients. I was looking at "naturally jif" the other day....sugar was the second ingredient. The ingredients should say "peanuts"...that's all ya need!!! I would still regridgerate it unless as Kathryn stated, you use it in 3-4 days. Most of the real "natural" pb's say somewhere on the jar to store them in the fridge.

Briee

I bought Smuckers Natural PB last time and it was pretty good. Ingredients: peanuts, salt.

I agree you really have to read the labels. Manufacturers are awfully creative in their use of terminology...

Marie

I buy the Smuckers too, or the Laura Scudder's (which is actually owned by Smuckers so it is the exact same peanut butter). I always get the crunchy, but decided to buy creamy this time. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully I'll like it just as much.

Katie

> Manufacturers are
>awfully creative in their use of terminology...
>
Oh, how true! They rely so much on customers who don't really pay much attention, but are attracted to a few buzz words, like "Natural". They could put rocks and grass clippings and lard in the P.B., I suppose, and it would still be "natural" according to Skippy's (or Jif's?) standards! But not mine: natural P.B. should just have peanuts and (optionally) salt. Period. (Unless some healthy "natural" substances are added, like maybe ground flax?)

Kathyrn, what brand do you buy or recommend? The Smuckers was the only truly natural version in my grocery store, but possibly they have other brands in the (neglected) organic foods section.

Thanks,
Marie

>Kathyrn, what brand do you buy or recommend? The Smuckers was
>the only truly natural version in my grocery store, but
>possibly they have other brands in the (neglected) organic
>foods section.

Hi, Marie.
I often get Smucker's, just because it's easier (and less expensive)than going to my local health food store and buying the p.b. there. It also has a creamier texture than most of the brands in the HF store (which are a bit grittier---so they must be healthier, right?). I do like some organic P.B.s'(because I prefer to support organic agriculture) but can't remember their names off-hand.

I'm in a podunk small town, so Smucker's is the only natural brand I've seen in grocery stores here (I just remembered..except for some other one I haven't tried, because it's pricey).

I've also heard that you should store natural peanut butter upside down. It keeps the oils - which rise to the top - "rising" into the peanut butter rather than away from it. This is supposed to keep it moist and make it last longer. I haven't made the switch over (yet), but I am using up my last jar of Jif Extra Crunchy - then I'm changing to Natural.

>I buy the Smuckers too, or the Laura Scudder's (which is
>actually owned by Smuckers so it is the exact same peanut
>butter). I always get the crunchy, but decided to buy creamy
>this time. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully I'll like it
>just as much.
>

I love Laura Scudder's (which is sometimes hard to find) ....I didn't know it was the same peanut butter as Smuckers. Thanks for the info Katie!!

Robin:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.