Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

Shelf life of natural peanut butter?

This is a discussion on Shelf life of natural peanut butter? within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; What's your experience with this? I realize natural peanut butter will probably not "hold up" as well since it contains ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006, 06:24 AM
Cathlete

Default Shelf life of natural peanut butter?

What's your experience with this? I realize natural peanut butter will probably not "hold up" as well since it contains no preservatives, but even storing mine in the fridge, it seems to go very dry very fast. Just curious how long yours lasts...

Marie
Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Cathlete

Default RE: Shelf life of natural peanut butter?

When it gets a little dry in the fridge or is too cold to spread....I zap it in the microwave for a few minutes or set it in a pan of warm water. It usually spreads much easier when it is warmed up a bit first. We go through it too quick to have it sit for too long I think. If you have some that gets incredibly dry...try putting it in peanut butter cookies and get a new jar. You may have to add more oil. Hope this helps.

Briee (You do know that you HAVE to refridgerate natural peanut butter - they do not have a "shelf life" after you open them - well maybe for short while...but you are SUPPOSED to keep them refridgerated - you probably knew this :) )
Old 01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Cathlete
lorrayne's Profile Fields

I've never refrigerated my natural peanut butter. I keep a tight seal on the peanut butter jar, though. Also, I go through PB rather quickly...
Old 01-24-2006, 10:21 AM
DeCathelete
allwildgirl's Profile Fields

Send a message via MSN to allwildgirl

The shelf life of mine is about a day. That's how long it takes me to go through the jar.

All Hail Limecat
Old 01-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Cathlete
scm's Profile Fields

I hear ya, Shelly. I've been eating thick PB&J sandwiches for lunch nearly every day these last few weeks. Yum!:9
Prior to my lastest food "trend", a jar would last about a month or so before becoming too dry to spread and I'd throw it away. I also randomly change brands, so that could make the difference also.
Susan C.M.
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://bd.lilypie.com/elmYm5.png[/img][/link]
Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Cathlete

Shelly, LOL!

You know what the scary thing is? The "regular" peanut butter I buy lasts for.... months. Literally. In the cupboard, not even refrigerated. Imagine what must be in that stuff to make it last so long!! Embalming fluid, maybe...

:7

Marie
Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 AM
DeCathelete
kathryn's Profile Fields

>You know what the scary thing is? The "regular" peanut butter
>I buy lasts for.... months. Literally. In the cupboard, not
>even refrigerated. Imagine what must be in that stuff to make
>it last so long!! Embalming fluid, maybe...

I bought some Baker's Inn "whole grain" bread once. Tried a couple of pieces and didn't want any more. I had forgotten about it in the fridge, then close to 4 months later (no comments on my housecleaning skills, please!) I was (yes, finally!) cleaning out the fridge, and decided to toss the stuff. I opened it up to put it in my compost bucket for composting, and there was NOT ONE SPECK of mold on it! It may have some "whole grains" in it. But the other chemicals and )!#Y that are in it don't seem to make it suitable for human comsumption (at lest not digestion, I would imagine. If regular mold can't grow on it, how do the body's bacteria fare with it?)

^. .^
> ^ <

5k racewalking PR: 34:42 (11/26/11)
Old 01-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Cathlete

I usually take mine out of the fridge and let it sit for about 15 minutes before I use it and it softens it up.

However, someone I think answered my question about whether it's okay to store it in a cupboard instead of the fridge. Does anyone else do this?

Katie
Old 01-24-2006, 03:55 PM
DeCathelete
kathryn's Profile Fields

>However, someone I think answered my question about whether
>it's okay to store it in a cupboard instead of the fridge.
>Does anyone else do this?
>

No, oils can go rancid to quicky, IMO. But if you ate it up within maybe 3-4 days, it might not matter.

^. .^
> ^ <

5k racewalking PR: 34:42 (11/26/11)
Old 01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Cathlete
2121's Profile Fields

I have always stored mine in the cupboard. I usually have a jar for about 3-4 weeks. It has never gone bad. Also, I use Narturally More which I found with the regular peanut butter. I love it. Melissa