Seeking your favorite hors d'oeuvres recipes

L Sass

Cathlete
Hi all. I'm sooooo stupid. I have allowed my mom to talk me into hosting a Christmas party, complete with Santa's appearance, gift exchange, etc. I'm starting it at 5:30 p.m. so I'm looking for heavy hors d'oeuvres. I don't mind kitchen prep time earlier in the day, so can you share with me some of your favorite crowd-pleasing heavy hors d'oeuvres recipes?

I'm already making spinach balls (delish) and a hot bacon bleu cheese dip (this one you can put your wrist up to your ear and actually HEAR your arteries hardening - HA!), so healthy is not necessarily a priority. (Oh - also doing wassail to drink - YUM-O!) TIA!

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

Hi all. I'm sooooo stupid. I have allowed my mom to talk me into hosting a Christmas party, complete with Santa's appearance, gift exchange, etc. I'm starting it at 5:30 p.m. so I'm looking for heavy hors d'oeuvres. I don't mind kitchen prep time earlier in the day, so can you share with me some of your favorite crowd-pleasing heavy hors d'oeuvres recipes?

I'm already making spinach balls (delish) and a hot bacon bleu cheese dip (this one you can put your wrist up to your ear and actually HEAR your arteries hardening - HA!), so healthy is not necessarily a priority. (Oh - also doing wassail to drink - YUM-O!) TIA!

Lorrie

Here you go, Lorrie (these have always been a hit for me):

Cocktail Weenies

1 large jar of mustard (no particular kind, whatever you like)
1 large jar of grape jelly (ditto, whatever you like)
2 large packages (approx 2 lbs) of cocktail weenies (lil smokies)

Throw all in a crockpot and let simmer.

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

1 pound large mushrooms
6 tablespoons butter
3 green onions, minced
3 to 4 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
4 ounces crab meat
1 cup fresh fine bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Wash and trim the end of stems from mushrooms. Pop remaining stem out. Chop stems and set aside. Melt 2 tablespoons butter; brush over mushrooms. Spray a shallow baking dish (about 8-inch square, or one which will fit mushrooms in one layer) with butter-flavored spray or grease with butter.
Melt remaining butter in skillet; add reserved chopped stems, minced green onions and red bell pepper.
Cook until vegetables are tender. Combine cooked ingredients with bread crumbs, crab meat, and seasonings. Fill each mushrooms, piling up. Sprinkle each mushroom with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes, until hot and mushroom caps are tender.
Makes 16 to 20 stuffed mushroom appetizers.

Here you go, Lorrie (these have always been a hit for me):

Cocktail Weenies

1 large jar of mustard (no particular kind, whatever you like)
1 large jar of grape jelly (ditto, whatever you like)
2 large packages (approx 2 lbs) of cocktail weenies (lil smokies)

Throw all in a crockpot and let simmer.

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

1 pound large mushrooms
6 tablespoons butter
3 green onions, minced
3 to 4 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
4 ounces crab meat
1 cup fresh fine bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Wash and trim the end of stems from mushrooms. Pop remaining stem out. Chop stems and set aside. Melt 2 tablespoons butter; brush over mushrooms. Spray a shallow baking dish (about 8-inch square, or one which will fit mushrooms in one layer) with butter-flavored spray or grease with butter.
Melt remaining butter in skillet; add reserved chopped stems, minced green onions and red bell pepper.
Cook until vegetables are tender. Combine cooked ingredients with bread crumbs, crab meat, and seasonings. Fill each mushrooms, piling up. Sprinkle each mushroom with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes, until hot and mushroom caps are tender.
Makes 16 to 20 stuffed mushroom appetizers.

I like to make pita pizzas. You can make all kinds, from spicy Italian to sweet toppings like goat cheese with honey and walnuts. Really -- the sky's the limit and they're so simple and quick. Most toppings can be bought packaged or in a jar so there's very little prep or cooking involved. Just top your pita bread and bake at 425 for 8 to 10 minutes. Cut each loaf into quarters and serve.

I like to make pita pizzas. You can make all kinds, from spicy Italian to sweet toppings like goat cheese with honey and walnuts. Really -- the sky's the limit and they're so simple and quick. Most toppings can be bought packaged or in a jar so there's very little prep or cooking involved. Just top your pita bread and bake at 425 for 8 to 10 minutes. Cut each loaf into quarters and serve.

Yea Lorrie! It sounds way way nasty, but my DH eats a ton of them! They have become a holiday tradition.

I also make this stuff yearly (talk about nasty ingredients) but you know, all of the family thinks I am a fudge god because of it! HE HE I'll never tell them what they ate! :)

VELVEETA CHEESE FUDGE

1 lb. butter
4 lbs. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 lb. Velveeta
1 c. cocoa
Nuts, chopped

In a saucepan, melt butter and cheese. Sift together the sugar and cocoa; add the butter and cheese to this. Add nuts and vanilla. Mix well and spread in 9 x 13 inch pan. Cool and cut into pieces. This makes a large amount and it never fails, also cheaper than other fudge. You can cut this down. Makes 6 1/2 pounds of fudge.

Yea Lorrie! It sounds way way nasty, but my DH eats a ton of them! They have become a holiday tradition.

I also make this stuff yearly (talk about nasty ingredients) but you know, all of the family thinks I am a fudge god because of it! HE HE I'll never tell them what they ate! :)

VELVEETA CHEESE FUDGE

1 lb. butter
4 lbs. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 lb. Velveeta
1 c. cocoa
Nuts, chopped

In a saucepan, melt butter and cheese. Sift together the sugar and cocoa; add the butter and cheese to this. Add nuts and vanilla. Mix well and spread in 9 x 13 inch pan. Cool and cut into pieces. This makes a large amount and it never fails, also cheaper than other fudge. You can cut this down. Makes 6 1/2 pounds of fudge.

I like the pita pizzas, although I've also done this same thing using those packaged biscuit doughs. You just squish the biscuits out a little flatter.
Another favorite of mine, although it is a little lighter but delicious, quick, easy and pretty are open-faced cucumber sandwiches. I have never had leftovers of these:

1 loaf of cocktail rye/pumpernickel
1 package cream cheese
1 package Knorr vegetable soup mix
1 cucumber
dill (fresh is best, but dried works just as well)

(I believe there is some garlic powder, too - the recipe is usually on the Knorr mix)

Mix cream cheese and Knorr mix. Slice cucumber into thin (1/4") rounds. Spread cream cheese mix on rye slices. Top with cucumber slice. Sprinkle with chopped dill. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also good: garam masala cashews
Basically, toss some cashews in a saute pan with some melted butter, sprinkle with garam masala, toss to coat. Toast in oven (about 325, or so) for 5-10 minutes. (keep an eye on them so they don't burn)
Let cool. Enjoy!

Easy and pretty holiday colors: skewers of cherry tomatoes, boccacini mozzerella, and basil leaves. drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper. done.

Um, Lorrie, I don't think it's at *all* fair to post "I'm making spinach balls (delish)" and not include the recipe!!! :p

I'll find some good ones and be back in a second...

We call this "shrimp stuff"-

8oz cream cheese
Spoonful of Mayo
jar cocktail sauce
bag of frozen medium cooked shrimp/thawed and patted dry
Ritz crackers

Beat mayo with cream cheese, spread onto a serving plate. Pour cocktail sauce on top, then layer the shrimp on top of that. Serve with Ritz crackers.:p

Cheese Olive Balls (takes a lot of prep time and you freeze first but omg they are my all time ever fave!)
Drain and THOROUGHLY DRY approx. 48 green olives.
Blend 2 c. grated sharp cheese and 1/2 c. soft butter or margarine. Stir in 1 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. paprika.
Wrap 1 tsp. of dough around each olive.
Freeze till firm. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 min. Don't thaw first. Serve hot.

Hot Cranberry Punch (not food but a holiday fave for a few years now... my ex BIL calls it "the candy drink")
8 cups hot water
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 cups cranberry juice (cocktail okay)
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
12 whole cloves
1/2 cup red-hot candies
1. In a 5-qt slow cooker, combine water, sugar and juices; stir until sugar is dissolved.
2. If desired, place cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag (or use a tea strainer). Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through. Before serving, discard spice bag and stir punch.

ONION TARTS (my recommendation based on your situation; you can make the onions the morning of and just spread, bake, and cut when people are there)
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 1999
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups thinly sliced onions
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/4 pound goat cheese, crumbled
1 sheet (15 by 10 inches) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onions start to wilt, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool completely. In a mixing bowl, combine the onions and cheese. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. With a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut 24 rounds of the puff pastry. Place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet, prick each round randomly with the tines of a fork, and brush with the beaten egg. Spread a tablespoon of the onion mixture on each round, leaving a 1/8-inch border. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve warm.

And another family fave: The cream cheese-shrimp stuff. Soften an 8 oz. block of cream cheese and spread in bottom of serving bowl/dish. Cut up as many of those small frozen shrimp (that have been thawed) as you want and add to about half a bottle of chili sauce (I prefer the Heinz brand to the Del Monte), along with about a tsp. of horseradish. It's best to chill that mixture for a while to blend flavors and get it cold. Serve with crackers, obviously. (LOL this was an emailed "recipe" from my mom years ago when I first moved in with DH!)

One of my FAVORITES!!! I make it every Christmas Eve...

Maryland Crab Dip

Time Required: 20-30 minutes prep time, 30 minutes cook time
Skill Required: Minimal to moderate cooking skills needed

Ingredients:

2 8-oz cream cheese packages
1 cup sour cream
4 tsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
2 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp mustard (dry or regular)
2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 tsp Old Bay® seasoning
1 pound blue crab meat; any crab meat will do. Backfin is the best, but claw, or even canned crab meat will do just fine
French bread baguette or crackers

Steps:

Shell your crabmeat; even from a can, there will be shells in the meat
Preheat oven to 325 (if eating today)
Combine all ingredients except the crab meat and cheddar cheese and beat with a blender
Fold the crab meat and cheddar into the mixture, being careful not to break the crab meat apart
Place in a casserole dish or other baking dish and sprinkle some cheddar and Old Bay on top
You can refrigerate overnight and cook right before your party.
Bake for 30 minutes at 325

Serve with thinly-sliced French bread or crackers

WOW! You guys these all look AWESOME! Can't wait to try them! Ok - Amy - here are both of my tried and true crowd faves!

Spinach Balls:

1 10-oz pkg chopped spinach (squeeze well to drain)
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup butter (melted)
dash nutmeg
1 TBLSP minced onion (dry)
1 cup herb stuffing mix

Mix and roll into balls. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes on lightly greased cookie sheet. Serve with this dipping sauce:

1/2 cup mayo
1 TBLSP lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dijon mustard

And my warm bacon bleu cheese dip:

7 slices of bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
1/4 cup half-n-half
4 oz crumbled bleu cheese
2 TBLSP chopped fresh chives
chopped smoked almonds

Cook bacon till almost crisp. Drain. Add garlic and cook about 3 minutes - bacon will finish crisping. Beat cream cheese, add half-n-half and beat until combined well. Add bacon mixture, cheese, and chives - mix well. Transfer to oven proof serving dish and bake for about 30 minutes at 350. Sprinkle chopped smoked almonds over the top and return to oven for about 5 more minutes. Serve with crackers, crostini, etc.

There was a time when I thought about swapping out some of the ingredients for healthier options, but for as yummy as this tastes, sometimes you just gotta' be decadent! :)

Lorrie

Lorrie-Add ME to that list of stupid daughters, because MY mom talked me into doing the exact same thing! LOL How funny is that?

I'm not doing a Santa appearance, though, but I am doing a gift exchange for the kiddos. MY big problem is that I set a goal of having my dining room painted BEFORE the party, complete with chair rail and all! So I'll be cranking that out over the next week or so!

I'm going to lurk here and use the recipes posted for MY PARTY!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Gayle

OOH, Lorrie, that reminds me of the Chicken Artichoke spread recipe that I found last year and was a HUGE hit at work......

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.