Schwinn AC performance spin bike

Trixoo

Cathlete
Hey there Cathletes!

Do any of you have the Schwinn AC Performance spin bike or use one at your gym? How do it feel about it?

Does the "smart release, feature affect your standing climbs at all? I read a review that said it was more like riding a geared road bike than a fixie, which would affect how you would gear for climbs (not in a way I think I would enjoy in a spin bike).

I'm considering buying this bike and would love, love, love to hear a Cathlete's thoughts first. I think I've narrowed it down to this or the Spinner NXT. I've been on the NXT, but I'm very attracted to the Schwinn's magnetic resistance and computer feedback (oh how I would LOVE to monitor my wattage). Unfortunately, no dealer or club near me has them (not that I've been able to find anyway), so there's no way to find out for myself.

Also, any problems with the 3 point adjustment? Seems limited, but I haven't read many concerns.

Many thanks!

Pam

Have it and love it. Smart release does not affect my climbs at all when compared to another spin bike: my gym has the Lemond bikes.

Ohhhh, thank you! I had wanted the Lemond, but they've stopped production since the company was sold. Do you mind if I ask if you prefer your Schwinn and, if so, why?

I'd go for the Schwinn, hands down

Pam,

I used to belong to a gym that had the Schwinn AC, and then I belonged to a gym that hand the Spinner NXT. For me, this would be a no brainer. I LOVE spinning and had a hard time getting motivated to go when I knew I had to use the Spinner bike. I feel that the Schwinn has a much smoother ride and fits my body better (the handlebars, the seat positioning, etc). I had no issue with either standing or sitting rides on the Schwinn, including climbs or any modification of the resistance.

HTH!

Yes, that helps tremendously. Thanks Lisa! I guess I've pretty much made up my mind to get the Schwinn, so thank you and UNLVcrjChick (did I get that right?). I LOVE spinning, too, and am so excited at the thought of having a bike at home, especially this January, when I would have to arrive at the gym 1 1/2 hours ahead of class if I want a spot (yep, 1 1/2 hours!). I can't wait for the luxury of spinning whenever I want, creating my own workouts...and doing Cyclemax and Ride! And then there's The Sufferfest, that I've been drooling over for almost 2 years... :)

Thanks again to both of you so much for your help...I knew I could count on Cathletes for help!

Drumroll please...I just spoke to Jeff Wimmer at StudioCycles (thanks to whichever Cathlete made that recommendation a while back) and placed my order. The new model should come out in early December, so I might have my bike just around the time Xtrain (and Ride!) arrive. Wow, it's going to be a DOMSy Christmas!

Drumroll please...I just spoke to Jeff Wimmer at StudioCycles (thanks to whichever Cathlete made that recommendation a while back) and placed my order. The new model should come out in early December, so I might have my bike just around the time Xtrain (and Ride!) arrive. Wow, it's going to be a DOMSy Christmas!

Awesome and you're welcome! I got mine from Jeff, too last September. I like the Schwinn the best because you can adjust the handle bars to come closer to you (great for petite riders like myself), the magnetic resistance is smooth and not jerky like a lot of spin bikes, the computer, and the look (I think it looks beautiful).

Awesome and you're welcome! I got mine from Jeff, too last September. I like the Schwinn the best because you can adjust the handle bars to come closer to you (great for petite riders like myself), the magnetic resistance is smooth and not jerky like a lot of spin bikes, the computer, and the look (I think it looks beautiful).

Maybe you were the one who mentioned Jeff then! I have ridden a bike with magnetic resistance (Keiser M3), so I know I'm in for some smooth sailing. It's so nice to have this to look forward to. Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.