Salads?

ReneePruitt

Cathlete
I saw a thread about soup now it gave me idea to,ask you guys also what is some good salad ideas?
I love spinach.
I put almonds feta cheese and vinigerette n cranberrys In it. I use low fat fets cheese and dressing.
Another one is spding mix lettuce.
Witb cucumbers tomatoes, onions, carrots and I use a fets dressing made from yogurt.
Now I need more ideas. Something yummy and cheap lol

I eat a large salad every day at lunch.

Some ideas (in addition to yours) that I mix in are:
broccoli
peppers
mushrooms
celery
hard-boiled eggs
cooked chicken
black beans
kidney beans
hummus (all types!
artichoke hearts
pork loin
left over meatloaf
raisins

Enjoy! I love salads.

A few of my favorites are:

1) topping any mixture of greens and raw veggies with homemade chili or stew (this acts like the salad dressing)

2) adding roasted veggies to the greens--whatever roasted veggies you have on hand

3) using nuts and craisins for a sweet/salty combo and some crunch

YUM!

Yum.. I have done the brown beans or peas.. Yum makes it more moist and gives a different taste..
Oh im getting excited for me some more salad

My absolute favorite....

Black and Bleu raspberry chicken salad:
My favorite microbrewery has this on their menu and I don't go out very often. It was so easy to copy and soooooo delicious!

Mixed greens
1oz sliced toasted almonds
1 oz bleu cheese
12 or so mandarin orange slices
small chicken breast dredged in seasoning (I happen to like chef paul's blackened red fish magic the best for this) and blackened in a pan
raspberry vinaigrette of your choice.

The flavors and textures in this are phenomenal!

Depending on what is in my frig, I usually throw in some kalamata olives, tomato, cucumber, green/red/yellow bell pepper, feta cheese, spring mix or spinach, romaine, grilled chicken, radishes, etc., etc.

I wish I could eat one every day but my system can't handle it.

my favourite is kale salad
tear or chiffonade 1 bunch of kale leaves
squeeze on a lemon and an avocado or a bit of olive oil
then add
sea salt to taste
add a mix of your favourites, olives, fresh or sun-dried tomatoes, cucumber, chopped dates, minced garlic, bell pepper
then massage with your hands
then sprinkle on hemp seeds/ pumpkin/ sesame/ pine nuts.
the variations are endless, this is my favourite lunch, it is super satisfying and filling. my husbnd likes it too.
there are a bazillion versions of kale salad online especially on RAW vegan sites. my favourite is Kristen Suzanne (kristen's Raw).

My favorite - roasted tomatoes with a tiny bit of olive oil that I made from my garden with a little semi-hard goat cheese. I like this on spinach leaves, or kale, or spring mix. Ok, now I'm hungry...:p

I like to grill onions and zucchini together with a touch of olive oil and dash of 21 spice. Sometimes I'll through in artichokes if I have them. These are wet vegetables and it makes a nice liquid to pour over cold spinach. I eat it warm. YUM.

I had a salad recently with grilled chicken coated in buffalo sauce.
Great change up for flavor. I used ranch dressing with it.

Hi Renee,
Here's a spinach salad that I like a lot. I got it from Cooks Illustrated. I make this in the summer a lot and it's yummy. Avocados can be kind of pricy, but you could easily replace that with whatever veggies you like.

Spinach and Avocado Salad with Chili Chicken
Serves 4

A creamy yogurt dressing spiked with lemon and garlic is a good match for the strong flavors in this salad.
Ingredients

2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Table salt
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds flat-leaf spinach, stemmed, washed, dried, and torn into large pieces (about 9 cups, tightly packed)
4 plum tomatoes (ripe, about 3/4 pound), cored and cut into wedges
1 Hass avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into thin strips
3 tablespoons lemon juice from 1 large lemon
3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large clove garlic, minced

Instructions

1. Heat broiler or light grill. Mix chili powder, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Rub oil then spice mixture into both sides of each chicken breast. Broil or grill, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Set aside.

2. Place spinach and tomatoes in large bowl. Sprinkle avocado with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice; add to salad bowl.

3. Whisk yogurt, oil, garlic, and remaining lemon juice, and salt to taste, in small bowl.

4. Slice chicken crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide strips and add to salad bowl. Pour dressing over salad; toss and serve immediately.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.