Salad dressing & Oatmeal Question

khshill

Cathlete
I am on my way to eating much more "clean" and had a question.....

Aren't salad dressings processed? If so, what do you use on your salads to keep it more healthy?

Also, what do you put in your hot oatmeal to make it more tasty?

Thanks!!!

Kristen

I'm not sure about the salad dressing. I'm thinking a little oil & vinegar is not bad. As far as oatmeal, you'll get all kind of answers on here. My first thoughts are cinnamon, splenda, nutmeg, dried fruit.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

I still use my salad dressings. I use the ones that I enjoy the taste of but try to stay 40 to 50 calories on the serving size of 2 T and as low fat as I can find in that range.

I use blueberries, diced apples/cinnamon, peaches, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, natural PB and SF jam in my oatmeal. I've also used a banana and about a 1/8 cup of chopped pecans.

I pick my berries in the spring/summer when they are in season and freeze them for the winter.

Salads: I often eat my salads with no dressing, as I find the taste of a mixture of veggies and Romaine lettuce (not that nutrient-deficient iceberg stuff) tasty as is. If I do use a dressing, it's a basic vinegrette (you could just use a sprinkle of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar, for example).

You can find more "natural" salad dressings in health food stores.

For oatmeal, I sprinkle on flax meal and use maple syrup (not the artificial "maple-flavored'syrup crap, but REAL maple syrup from tree sap), or agave nectar (a low-glycemic natural sweetener from the same cactus that tequila is made from), or just some dried fruits, usually raisins.

You could also sweeten it by using apple juice for part of the water.

Also, steel-cut oats are naturally more flavorful than rolled oats, IMO, and taste a bit nuttier (as well as having a more appealing texture).

Kristen-

My nutritionist, who is VERY into eating clean, says that all the Newman's Own dressings are okay. I'm not supposed to have any other brand though. She says it's Newmans or make it yourself. I am addicted to Newman's Lite Balsamic Vinegrette. I mean I REALLY love it.

As for oatmeal, if you make it with skim milk and add a little nutmeg and a lot of cinnamon, it is plenty tasty in my opinion. The natural sugars in the milk make it sweet.

-Nancy

Nancy, I'm glad to hear that about Newman's because I have a bottle of the Lite Balsamic in my fridge right now. I love it.

Isn't it great Jane?

I just looked at the label and it's pretty obvious why my nutritionist gave it the seal of approval. Here are the ingredients:

Water, balsamic vinegar, vegetable oil (canola and/or soybean), distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, extra virgin olive oil. (Contains 2% of less of: garlic, spice, onion, xantham gum, red bell pepper, paprika).

And I can't believe it can taste so good and have only 22 calories per tablespoon! :D

-Nancy

Thank you! You know, I have a Newman's bottle in my refrigerator right now too. It is that ginger sesame kind and is SO yummy! I got a lot of ideas from all of you, thanks a bunch!!!

Kristen

I am addicted to Newman's Lite Balsamic Vinegrette.
> I mean I REALLY love it.

I like that one as well.

Hi Kristen,

I make my own salad dressings. Gosh, it's so easy to do and costs much less than the bottled stuff from the grocery store. I usually use olive oil or a combo of olive and canola oils, an acid like vinegar (balsamic, red or white wine, or champagne), or a combination of citrus juices like orange and/or lemon. If that doesn't have enough flavor for you, try adding a little dijon mustard as well. I also add a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I use a 3 or 4 to 1 oil to vinegar ratio.

I like several of the oatmeal suggestions you've been given--it's making me hungary:eek: .

Michele :)

For salad dressing I use first cold pressed olive oil and red wine vinegar with sea salt or garlic salt (if I want to keep people away from me ;)), but I would much rather go to Michele's house and try her creative homemade blends with Citrus and Dijon....that sounds totally yummy!

I'm goofy....I eat my Coach's Oatmeal or Steel cut oats plain. I like the nutty taste. You are what you eat;-):p I do throw a banana in now and then:+

Robin:9

I like homemade varieties best, siilar to variations of what Michele posted. We also use good seasons packages and make them. They are not perfectly clean because they have a small amount of sugar and a stableizer in them. But they make a tasty salad in a pinch and less espensive than bottled.

I use about half of the prescribed oil and sometimes will make it wtih lemon juice and a TB of Lee & Perrins and 2 TB of shredded parm for a Faux Ceasar.

I do have a Carsar Recipe if any one wants it. *not low fat

Judy "Likes2bfit"

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce9426d089240c00000015108AatHLZo3buN

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.