Runny nose,sneezing,scratchy throat,a cough,&nasel congestion

janiejoey

Cathlete
Can anyone help me get rid of these symptoms? YUCK!
Don't have energy to exercise. Haven't had these symptoms for 3 years.

Please help me I'm dying here. Such a lily. Can only breath out of one nostril. But if I turn around and lean on the other side, then the other nostril gets plugged up.x( I know, too much information.

Oh Oh, now a headache is coming on. Shoot! Pretty sure it's a cold.

Any suggestions for homemade remedies, over the counter drugs?

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

{{{{{Janie}}}}}

My seasonal allergies have been acting up, too. The pollen count is off the charts around here! Flonase works really well for me, but you need a prescription for it. Have you tried OTC meds like Claritin? Maybe a trip to the pharmacy is in order. I'm sure pharmacist can help you. Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon.

A friend told me over the w/e that Walgreen's generic allergy medication is the most effective he's ever tried, even better than prescription.

Does allergy medication help with colds? I edited my post and included that I think I have a cold.

Thanks for the suggestions, anything else I can try? If I don't hear from anyone else, then I'll have my hubby get some for me.

More symptoms befalls me, I can't taste anything and my hair hurts!:(

I know, I'm such a sissy.

Janie

[/url]

Allergy med would not help a cold. You have what I feel like, and it is allergies though. I am miserable, and am in here, in the middle of a workout, so I can catch my breath! I have zip energy. Have you ever heard of a Neti pot? (maybe netti). You can get them at CVS. It comes with packets that you mix with water, and pour through your nose, into your sinuses, and it comes out the other side of your nose. Sounds weird, I know, but boy, does it help!! If you are really congested, it may take a while to get through all the gunk so it can pour out the other side (just water pours back out), but then you will blow your nose and it will be clear. I do it twice a day so I can make it through allergy season without medicine, aside from my trusty inhaler. You can also supplement this with a saline nasal spray during the day, as necessary. Good luck - I know you are miserable.

I love my netti pot, I should use it. Thanks for reminding me. It should help some, until the $n*t plugs me up again.;( It should last a couple of hours each time anyway.

Any more suggestions, please?

Janie

[/url]

Wow, 3 years without a cold? That's fabulous. :)

I have a hellacious cold right now myself. I prefer good old fashioned Nyquil. It really helps me sleep. Hall's cough drops for the throat. That's pretty much it. Oh, and lots of clear fluids.

I had that awful cold last week. The funny thing is everyone around me thought I had allergies because I was so stuffed up but it was cold and now it is gone. woo hoo!!

My advice is drink, drink and drink and rest, rest and rest. I also took vitamin C's and I had some nice homemade soup.

Hope you are feeling better real soon.

I got a nasty cold a few weeks ago, so I can empathize.

Here's the prescription from Dr. Kathryn (I AM a doctor...but not that kind, LOL!):

Rest (sleep propped up, so your sinuses will drain rather than plug up more). The immune system is a marvelous thing, if left to do its work. Sleep as much as you can so that it can concentrate on getting you better.

Lots of fluids (hot, but not burning, broth or brothy soups are good)

For nasal stuff, do a nasal flush with saline (if you have a neti pot, that's perfect, but otherwise you can just 'snort salt water'--the lovely term we used to use when I was a kid: mix up a teaspoon of salt and a bit of baking soda in a glass of warm-to-the-touch water. Pour some of the water in your palm, and proceed to snort it up, and spit it out.)

When I was ailing, a nice soak in hot water with a detox bath mix was nice. Mine had salt, clay and powdered ginger (the ginger is supposed to help stimulate the circulation and add to the detox effects). You cold cobble together something similar with just epsom salts and powdered ginger.

Hope you feel better soon (Now GET OFF THE COMPUTER, rinse those sinuses, have some nice hot broth and take a nap!).

Kathryn, I assume you are a PhD - what is your specialty? I had figured out already that you are a professor from other posts. Not to hijack the thread - just read the last one and was curious. When we were younger, people assumed we were rich b/c both of our parents were doctors. My brother once said, "Oh, they are the poor kind of doctors!" (Both were also professors). Now I have my PhD but did not go into teaching, although I would like to when my daughter is older.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.