running

runfree

Cathlete
I have been running for about seven yrs but the past few months I have been struggling running just 3 miles. I dont know whats going on. I feel like a begginer. I do have asthma and the warmer weather makes it harder for me but this is really discouraging. Was wondering if anyone else has experiienced this and did you come out of it? I havent had the longing for races either the past 3 yrs and I keep having people wanting me to sign up for races. I wish I wanted to like I use to. I just dont have the desire to race but I do love running but I also would like to get that back but have yet to get there. Please any advice to getting my stamina back with running would be greatly appreciated. I teach bootcampl 2x week and workout regularly so its not from taking a long break. I do fine for shorter cardio workouts or up to a mile but then I lose it, no stamina or something. thanks.

As a regular runner in my twenties the only time I ever suffered this was when I was at the end of an undergrad semester, absolutely exhausted, under the weather and anaemic. I could barely finish my usual 5 mile runs, was dragging just trying to walk upstairs and around campus. The body can recover from this easily enough with rest.

So, check your iron levels, get extra sleep and take a month off from running. You need a break after 7 years of the same activity. Meanwhile, do other cardio and weight training and sporting activities but not running. Your body and mind need a break from this. Motivation wil return once you can view the sport from fresh eyes again and this will probably not come until after a break.

If you stay in shape in the meanwhile with HiiT, plyo, intervals, powerwalking, steady state cardio, bootcamp, weights, mixing it up, I promise you this will keep you in good enough shape to bang out 5 miles when you return to running. I just had this experience and it has been sweet!

You can love running and have no desire to race. I don't see the problem here. People have spent years trying to make me into a competitive runner. Why? I am not interested. I run for myself and for no other reason. Just enjpy your activities and the freedom they give you. You don't need any other reason.

Clare

You need to go to the doctor, get your heart and lungs checked out. This is not normal for you and you need to take it seriously. There has been a bug going around for about 2 years now that attacks the heart muscle and gives you a terrible tired feeling. Are you suffering from congestion? coughing, sneezing, mucus build up? That can be a symptom of this infection. Young people are getting it, young and fit people are having heart attacks. You need to get checked out.

You might also want to examine other possible stresses in your life. What's changed? I do agree with everyone else: get checked out by doctor and take a little break from running. You might also consider checking out the Runner's World website. It has helped me out a lot.

Good luck

Bumpin the anemia suggestion...totally could be that. Also, have you had your Vitamin D levels checked or your thyroid checked? If you've had any amount of trauma whether physical or emotional in the past year, that can not only create post-traumatic stress robbing you of energy, but it could also slow down your thyroid and rob your energy. Or if you've been under mass amounts of stress that can increase the fatigue on your adrenal system too. I suggest seeing your doctor for a blood test.
Beyond that, are you eating enough protein, I.E. half your bodywieght in grams each day at least? and healthy fats?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.