Running

MasonK

Cathlete
Hello to anyone who may offer advice to me. I am a Cathe fan and do her tapes regularly (strength and Cardio) I have recently started running after not having been in many years. What I find is that my legs feel great, but my lung capacity really tires me out. I am planning on running in a 6 mile race in a few weeks and I'd love to finish under 11 min/mile. So far in my "training" I've gone 4.7 miles in 50 minutes (could have gone longer, but didn't know how far I'd ran...) and 2.5 miles in 20 min's. I can "power walk" forever, but I get soo out of breath "running". It's so frustrating because after all the strength work I've done ala Cathe I feel really strong.... Any advice on proper breathing techniques, etc.? Thanks!

Hi! I thought I would try to help you out. I have ran two half marathons and a few shorter races. I am assuming this is a 10k run you are going to do.
I am a little confused about your post. It says you have ran 4.7 miles in 50 minutes. Have you ever ran 6 miles?
Your first goal should be to finish a 6 mile run and see how you do. Then worry about time. You want to be able to finish still in a run. That should be your first goal and then work on your time. This has helped me in my training.
Time out a six mile run somewhere. If you can go longer than the six, go for it. It will help your endurance. Try to get 1 long run in a week. I would do about four or five 5 mile runs through the week. Make sure you rest one to two day before the race.

Good Luck on your run!!!! Where is it??

Let me know how it goes.
Beverly

I hope I was some help.

Hi Beverly -- thanks for the advice. Here are a few answers: 1) I have never "ran" 6 miles, but I do a 5 mile run once a year on Thanksgiving -- which I always finish in about 51-55 minutes. Now, let me say that I have never ever "ran" anything over two miles. I run as far as I can and race walk a bit (I'm told my race walk is like a good paced jog) and then run some more... and so on. The times I listed were done like that run, race walk, run, race walk... I will definitely rest at least two days before the race which, BTW is in Northport, Long Island, New York - Cow Harbor race. What do you think? K--

I am so amazed at you race walkers. You can really book. It sounds like you are doing great and need to work on the endurance. Push up your distance to do this and the speed will follow. That is with my experience anyway.

I finished my first half marathon with 10 minute miles, the second year I did it in 9:30 minute miles. I was so excited I beat my time the second year. I just added longer runs throughout the year, with one long run a week.

What does your weekly run/walk schedule look like? Times and distances? Just curious.

Beverly

Interval training will really boost your speed and endurance. Try running fast for 30 seconds then run normally or a little slower than normal for a minute. Work up to 10 of these little intervals. It will boost your speed rather dramatically in just a few weeks. And it is more fun, as you are not just grinding out the miles.

That's just it -- I was doing 6.5 and 7.5 power walks on Sat and Sunday w/a friend before the summer and then she wasn't around and I got heavily into Cathe (well, since March) so I do a Cathe Cardio 6 days a week and just started running again last week. The Cathe cardio vids I do are CardioKicks, MIC, StepFit and CTX (which I'm doing now with the running as an add-on). Problem w/running is that I work out at 4:15am -- and can't do anything at night unless I'm home early enough (ie: before 7:30 8pm)- don't feel comfortable running in the dark and or alone at nite... So that's me. I just bought a new pair of NewBalance running shoes and they feel great so now I must work on my endurance. Thanks for the encouragement! K--

Hi - I agree with the post on interval training. It's really helped me increase my endurance, therefore increasing my miles. And yes, it is fun! I do 5-6 miles in just under an hour. MIC & interval max have also improved my endurance. By the way, I agree with you about running at night. I live in somewhat of a rural area and two women runners were attacked close to where I run a few months ago. Ever since then I've been nervous running at night. I always run after work (fabulous stress-reliever!) at a nature preserve near my office, when the sun is still out. Good luck & keep up your great work. You will get there!

If you run alone, it is real easy to carry pepper spray in one hand. It's almost inconspicuous. Of course, it's useless if it's windy!

Thanks for the Pepper spray idea -- but I think I'll just stick to doing the runs when it's light out -- fitting them in when I can. I am very proud to say that I went out Sat. morn with 4 others for a practice run of the 10k route I signed up to race in in 2 weeks. I really surprised myself and managed to run teh 10k in 64 minutes! I was shocked and I don't think I had to race walk more than 1/2 mile of it! I think running with other people really helped me to pace and find a rythym! I'm so psyched! Will try and get out a couple more times before "race day" -- but I also think that the weight work has very much helped me to improve as well.

Thanks again for all of your input! K--

Hey Mason K, see you at the Cow Harbor run!! This will be my fourth time running it. You're so fortunate to be able to practice the race course. Last year, my time was 1:04. I was shooting for 1:02, but I pooped out at the end. I'm hoping for pretty much the same time this year. I've been running 3X a week, four, five and six miles. This weekend, I'm going to try to run eight miles. I was going to do it yesterday, but I was feeling a bit under the weather. Anyhow, hope to see you there!!

Valerie

Valerie -- you and I will no doubt be in the same starting group. Did you know that there are weekly practice runs on Wednesdays from the start at the Laurel School? I don't get home early enough (they leave PROMPTLY at 6:15) -- but was lucky that some others I know ran the course on Saturday. Got some good pointers -- like WALK up James Street and stay as far to the RIGHT on the hill as possible. Also - I found mile 4-5 the toughest -- "where the heck is MAIN street?"!!! But found out that the Mobile station is a half way marker for that mile -- so I can gauge where I am and how much I need to power walk before the final 1.5 mile stretch home. I'm so excited about this race!!!! If I hear the name Valerie I will most definitely approach you! Kathleen

I read something interesting on running written by a man that is a marathon runner. He said don't worry about running past the distance in training that you are going to race. If you are going to run a 10k. then train only up to that distance, it is not necessary to go beyond that distance, especially if you are on time constraints.

Thanks

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-01 AT 10:33PM (Est)[/font][p]for the heads-up on Wednesday. I tried to make it today, but I couldn't do it. A friend and I plan on running the course on Friday. See you at the race, Kathleen!!

Valerie

I'm not a regular runner although I do like to do it to mix things up once in awhile. I probably run about 4 miles a week. Anyway when I first started working out I was always out of breath and I started doing a deep breathing program and I found it really helped. I still do this although not as much I probably do 30 a day. Anyway you should look into it.

Emily

I don't run a great deal any more but I used to run and race like crazy. When you are new to running, there's lots of room for improvement. Make sure you do speed work. You'll be amazed by how much your speed will increase. I started out running 11 minute miles and my best mile was 6:51 at the Tucson Race For The Cure. Push yourself a little every time you run and you'll get faster!

I used to run distance in high school (eons ago) and my sister recently ran the leukemia marathan. She went from never running at all to finishing the full marathan six months later. We both were given similar training techniques to increase time and distance.
Interval training all but one day per week--the final day each week is your distance run, followed by at least one day of rest.
EG:
If you want to target an 11 m/p/h pace for a 6 mile race, you should be training at about 9 m/p/h pace, 3 -4 mile sprints per training session. So you run each "fast mile" then power walk inbetween until your heartrate comes down. Then one day a week you run the full distance.
Just my two cents, worked for us. Good luck, what a wonderful goal for you! :-jumpy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.