To runners - where does Cathe fit in?

buckeyegirl

Cathlete
I was just curious to all our runner gals how much Cathe they actually do and how often. Do you do cardio or weights or both? I've really been on a Cathe hiatus because I'm addicted to the running/5ks and such, but would like to tweak it back into one of my cross training days, I think.

My only problem is that I suffer from plantar fasciitis, and doing step aerobics REALLY flares it up badly...:(

Heidi

Hi Heidi...I have done Cathe workouts for about 17 years. I do mostly the weight workouts now, but add in step when I feel like it. I avoided step any time I was marathon training as for me I needed to run 6 days a week. Sorry about the PF, that can be a real pain. Can you do any kind of Cathe's kickboxing workouts without pain? Do you have any of Cathe's weight workouts? They can be good for cross training and making you a stronger runner...:)

Like Carole - I just use Cathe for weights most recently as I'm running 3X a week and want to give my legs a rest, especially my calves. That's why I'm very excited for STS. :)

I have tried a month rotation where I wanted to add in cardio so on my non-running days I tried a cardio/weight workout, but it was too much.

I am a new runner though (started in May, just did my first 10K) and I'm 42; so I'm trying to avoid injury as I build my distance.

I only use Cathe's strength workouts. I'll sometimes do a step or kickbox workout, but that's pretty rare. I mostly run for cardio, plus spinning and using the elliptical for crosstraining.

Erica

I am training for a race right now so running 4x per week is my only cardio at this point. I use Cathe for weights though. When I am not training for a race I will mix Cathe cardio in with my runs. I tend to run 2x per week when not training for something so that affords me a little time for other cardio.

Thanks for the replies...the only weight workouts I have are Muscle Endurance and Gym Style Legs, if I recall correctly. I really don't enjoy barbell workouts - they hurt my neck too much, but I know I can use dumbbells instead. I suppose I should give them a whirl. DH is trying to get me to go to the YMCA at 5:30 am for weight workouts to increase leg strength and subsequently aid in my running...I just can't pull myself out of bed to lift weights..running, yes, but weights..nah.

Heidi

My only problem is that I suffer from plantar fasciitis, and doing step aerobics REALLY flares it up badly...:(

Heidi

I'm surprised running doesn't falre up your plantar fasciitis. It used to kill me. My plantar fasciitis is gone and I've traded it for a neuroma that just kills me like clock work during my 5th mile. I couldn't give up my Cathe workouts though. Lifting really helps me with my longer distance running. I also do Cathe workouts for the interval training. When I run I just get into the zone, and will run just to run and look at my surroundings. It clears my head. I could never run and do interval sprints, I just have no motivation to do so. I turn to Cathe and her Imax workouts for that. It truly has helped me to run for longer periods of time.

It does amaze me too that the running is easier on my fasciitis vs. the step. I think it has to do with the up and down movement on the step and the strain on my arch and achilles/calf. As long as I have good running shoes, I don't even have to wear my orthotics when I run (damn, I sound so old...)

My big issue with running is the IT Band syndrome that has plagued me for a while at my right knee. However, with my foam roller (my new love:p) and DH brought home an equine ultrasound machine (same as PT use when you get physical therapy for IT band) -- so between stretching, rolling, and ultrasounding, it's been pretty good!

Heidi

mmmm

Well. I do cardio 6 days per week. I run two or three days depending on my work schedule. I intersperse Cathe betwixt and between three days a week. A little cardio and a little weight lifting. I'm a newbie so I don't know that what I have to say is really all that helpful. I do step. I do like her Kick boxing workouts so maybe you might try that. With the issue with your pf I hesitate to suggest more cardio at all. I think that the weight lifting is really the way to go. Possibly also stretch max. That you could do after a run and I have found it to be really helpful. I don't have as much pain or issues with my hip that I did before I started using it post run. Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Hi Heidi,

I mostly run for cardio as well, mixing in the elliptical, kickboxing, and (less frequently) step for variety or when the weather isn't conducive. Since I'm training for my first marathon right now, the focus is mainly on the running, though. I pretty much stick to Cathe for weights (at the moment 2x a week).

Good luck w/ your PF! I hope you can nip that.

Thanks everyone - so my next obvious questiong is...which weight workout do you intersperse with your running? Faves?

Heidi

Any of them! I like to follow monthly rotations...Right now I am enjoying circuits for weights for the second month in a row. That approach seems to be working well with the marathon training and my goal of fat loss.

But I would say the weight work in the 4DS (esp. the premixes) is my overall fave.

Hey, if you're interested, there's a runners' check-in group (called Cheetahs)--come and join us!

I do different rotations, too. Right now I'm doing endurance and using my high-rep/low weight workouts. Other times, I'll go for strength and do lower reps/heavy weights. Using heavy weights for lower body doesn't seem to bother my legs for running, but for some people it does. You'll have to experiment and see what works for you.

Erica

I do mostly weight work although I'll throw in a cardio workout (like the cardio premix in Drill Max) if the weather is bad and I can't go running. I don't do step. I mix up my weight workouts usually between Pyramids, Gym Styles and the 4DS Upper Body premix. Last night I did my own upper body workout. Two days a week I do a Crossfit style workout that usually includes kettlebell work, squats and lunges among other things. I run lots of hills so I don't do much leg weight workouts.

I am training for a half right now so all of my crdio is running. When not training, I do use Cathe's cardio, in fact I am missing it right now. I mainly use the pyramids for weight w/outs just because they are my faves. I can't wait for STS. I also usr the Stretch Maxes right now.

I'm not a "runner" per se, but this thread is interesting to me b/c I also use Cathe's workouts for the weight segments only. While the group in Cathe's videos are stepping, I am doing my cardio on the treadmill. I recognized that I'd reached a plateau with step (and step bothers my knees :(), so I began using the treadmill instead to increase the intensity of my workouts, and I've been successful in losing a fair amount of unwanted weight. :D I've recently began using Cathe's cardio kickbox workouts again now that I have purchased her weighted gloves. I'm also strapping on 2 lb. ankle weights for kickboxing. I'm getting a GREAT kickbox workout with these additions. :) Good luck to you finding an activity that works well for you. ;)

Heidi,
You will be amazed at your improvement in pace and endurance with weight workouts incorporated in your mix. I noticed over a 2 minute improvement in my pace! Power Hour is a good DVD and so is Pyramid Upper/Lower.

As for your Plantar Fasciitis, you sould try taking either Bromelain (a digestive enzyme from Pineapple) or a product called Inflammaless by Irwin Naturals. It is a natural supplement that uses digestive enzymes, and herbs like Tumeric and Boswellia to ease inflammation. I would take these inbetween meals on an empty stomach for the best effect. Last year I had a flare up and could barely walk (January). I had completed a half-marathon by September. I noticed a difference within the first week of taking Bromelain. It took a while to feel fully recovered, but I was up and running within a month verses the 6-9 months the Podiatrist gave me with Celebrex.

Good Luck!

Davina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.