Runners Check-in Sat Apr 8

Mckmain

Cathlete
Good luck on your 18 miler today Sarah!!! Remember to give us details!!

Missy...happy to have you join...and then you can make us jealous of your vacation!!

Kristy...for any runs over 10 miles I usually carry a sports drink. I like Accelerade myself but in most running stores they have sample for you to try out and then you can choose.

Hope your legs feel better today Denise.

Ah Wendy...sorry about Joey being sick...:(...hope he is better today.

Laura...sounds like you are increasing your long runs well.

Amy...good luck in the trail run today! Let us know how things go. I can pray for sun for you...:)

Thanks Tomasina...Barbara Shoner...I only ran about 2 miles by myself in Cool, but it was a bit scarey. The only wild thing I have seen up close trail running was a bear...thank god he ran uphill and away. Sarah believes he was drunk...:)...I am careful and never run trails alone! PLB is quite a nice workout huh?...:)

Cbelle...I'd probably so some full weight workouts maybe doing the upper body on days you run and lower body on days you don't. Add some cardio if it doesn't tire your runs out any..Marietta has give you good advice also....and yes, we are all different..:)

To all of you, great runs going onyesterday!!

No run for me today. I got in alot of miles last week which makes me feel better, but a lttle tired...I'll be doing a bit of legwork and maybe some kickbox...

Have a great day...:)

Hi Carole!

Your all alone!:-( :) My plan was to run outside today but its windy and cold so I will stay inside.I also wanted to move some things around in the house but I may have to wait until after my workout.I think this will be a boring Sat! But not boring enough..I have lots of things to do around here!
I wanted to go for a long run but my energy doesn't seem to be at it peak so we will see.I should get legs in to...I have been saying that all week!

Have a good workout everyone!
Lori:)

Hey guys!!

I took a few days off from running...had been running quite a bit. I ran a little over 4-miles this morning and I plan to run about 9-miles tomorrow.

Carole - I'm so with you on the time off of running...I was in the same boat so took a few days off.

Lori - You built me up for your 8-mile run all week...you mean now you're not feeling it?? Funny how that happens isn't it??

Sarah - Have a great run...I don't know if I'll ever run that far in my life!!

Hi to everyone else...HAVE GREAT RUNS!!

http://www.GlitterMaker.com/created/39583717.gif[/IMG][/URL]
(fitxme)
http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

Hey Girls..back with a report:)
Just did
* BC and a 8 mile interval run:) Now I am super sweaty:eek: Need to get a shower, then off to get my hair cut:)
Lori:)

I went for a wonderful rejuvenating run this morning...after working
all night. I had never tried it this way before ( I thought I would be too tired ) I am the night Charge RN of the ICU units in my hospital and I work 12 hrs, 7p-7a, last nite was horrendous with multiple emergencies but I went on my run as planned anyway...6 miles around my favorite lake. I'm here to tell you that running is the ultimate stress relief. I feel relaxed and ready to face the day now (after my nap).
ShellyC

I DID IT!!!! I got my miles in!!! I was going to do 18 but did 19!!! I am VERY proud of myself! Especially since I never felt like I was going to die, I had no trouble! My brother road his bike with me and he couldn't make it without stopping to walk up the hills. I made it back 15 minutes before he did. The last 2 miles was a gradual but constant hill and he said he walked some of that portion. I almost hopped in my car to go look for him!LOL!!

I can tell my body is getting stronger! I really think it because of how religious I am about hydrating and refueling during the runs and I have been eating as healthy as possible! Even if I eat too much, I still make sure it is healthy foods!

I owe a HUGE thanks to Elaine! She has helped me so much and I would be lost without her! I just love her!

My confidence is up for this marathon! 4 more weeks!! Man, I never imagined I would ever be able to run 19 miles and to hear my brother tell me how strong I looked to the very end...at least until I left him in the dust;-) ...I love long run day!!!

O.k., I need a nap.

Wow, it looks like everybody had great runs today!!! I just finished mine on a beautiful trail. Actually, this is a trail with cows grazing on either side of you and I have never seen the cows on the actual trail before. Well today they were on the trail and I was a little freaked out, but I made it :7 .

Last week I ran the same trail for an hour and went 4.9 miles. Today I ran the same exact route and ran 5.25 miles in an hour. It is amazing how you have good and bad days. I am excited about my run. Next week is 1 hr 5 min!! Hopefully I will be ready for my 10K in no time.

Have a great weekend and happy running!!

Karin

Sarah,
Let me be the first to offer CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I don't know how to do the extra cool smilies that I'm sure Carole will post later:7 (can't wait to see what she finds for this!), but from my legs, lungs, and heart I offer you respect and joy!
YOU ROCK!!
Good luck on the muddy 10K today Amy, can't wait to hear how it went.
I'm with a few others, today is a day off from running. I did KPC+500 jumping jacks+10 min. of jump rope instead. Saturdays are usually a long run day, but DH woke up in the night with a wicked charlie horse in his calf and fell right out of bed.;( Scared the crap out of me and he's still feeling tight/sore there, and I just don't feel comfortable going that distance alone, maybe tomorrow if he's feeling better. Any advice for him on how to avoid these? He already stretches his calves well and I have him on extra potassium today, anything else?
Good luck runners! I'm off to shop for newer (smaller!!!) clothes. Wish me luck!
Mattea

Hey guys...

Just thought I'd pop back in for a minute.

Lori - I knew you had it in you!! Excellent workout!!

Shelly - Running is a great stess reliever...I'd truly be a mess without it.

Sarah - YOU GO GIRL!! When you can beat folks riding on bikes...YOU BAD!! Looks like I'm gonna be needing some pointers from YOU!!

Mattea - Hope you get to run tomorrow...sorry about dh also. I don't know what else to say...seems like you've received the same advice I would give.

Karin - Great run! It is amazing how the body responds at time...I say, just go with the flow...

Have a great evening!

http://www.GlitterMaker.com/created/39583717.gif[/IMG][/URL]
(fitxme)
http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

I ran 12 miles today. It was the first time in a looooong time that I've run a distance run on my own and I kinda liked it.

It was a beautiful sunny day here after all the rain in the past week. My route takes me along the boardwalk and through Pismo Beach. There were tons of people out and about. I love spring time!

BUT, I felt fantastic until I got to 10 miles. The last two miles are up hill and it kicked my butt today. My D(insert any word other than Dear)H told me I looked haggard when I walked in the door.

Normally I run 1 marathon in the fall but I can't stand how my body loses that conditioning so after this fall I'll run two a year.

Sarah, I've got a front row seat at the gathering of your fan club. I thought about you so much while out there running this morning it felt as if you were there with me. You've got some true grit and my absolute adoration and admiration!

All of you runners are awesome and this check in is perfect for motivation and inspiration!:)

http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble2/19.gif[/img] Sarah!! Way to squeeze in the extra mile!! This is such a boost to your confidence and a great way to run 19 miles!!! I am so proud of you...http://bestsmileys.com/signs12/15.gif[/img]...

Mattea...have fun finding smaller clothes!!! Not sure I can offer any other advice for your DH...about the only cramps I get are in my toes after a long run sometimes.

Shelly...sounds like a beautiful run around a lake! Yes, a great stress reliever..:)

Sounds like a nice run Karin...I think cows are mostly harmless, unless of course they have horns...:)..great job on your time!

Can't wait to see how Amy does...:)

Sarah - WOW!!! That's fantastic. I'm so glad it went so well for you, because I know you were nervous:) You're going to fly through your marathon!

Well, I did it. I did my first run in many weeks. Just 3 miles, but I did it in 30 minutes. I thought I'd be slower. My hip did twinge a couple of times, so I'm going to get back at this slowly. It felt so good to be back out there, especially since today was so beautiful:)

today is my rest day as I will need it for tomorrow . I am running 11-12miles. The weather is suppose to be better tomorrow.
Today my poor son had to play soccer and it was so cold. We all ended up feeling like popscicles by the end of the game. My sons cheeks where beet red,poor thing. but they won their game. sarah,I cant imagine running 19miles. I havent run beyond the 13.1miles. I will be experiencing up to 14-15 in a few weeks so I will find out what it feels like to surpass my highest mileage. great job!!

Way to go Sarah!!!!! I'm so excited for you!! What a tremendous job you've been doing with your training. Yay!!!

My 10k this morning was nowhere near record-breaking. That's okay! I had done it 2 years ago and found it really really difficult, but I thought that after a year of Cathe it might not be so tough. Ha, ha! I was WRONG. :p

The rain stayed away after about 4am this morning, so when we got started at 9:20 all we had to deal with were bright shiny skies and tons of mud. I finished the whole thing in 80:22. Not bad, when I consider the first 3 miles were all up hill. The half marathoners were on the same course, but started 10 minutes before us. When I was running out to the turnaround spot, I ended up just walking for much of it so that I could encourage the half marathoners. That made it very FUN as opposed to the cardio misery I was in last time I did this course!!! My HR stayed within 85-97% of my max most of the time, so it wasn't like I was just plodding along, LOL...

The cool thing about the group that organizes these, Envirosports, is that we all start out with a song at the beginning (today it was America the Beautiful), and the winner gets a Rubber Chicken as the Prize. :p I love that!!! Today, he had one couple from Denver come out and lead (he usually asks for the people who live the farthest from the run location). At the end of the song, the guy ASKED THE WOMAN TO MARRY HIM!!!! And she said yes. :7 It was so great!!!! Can you imagine going out for your first half marathon while your new fiance goes on the 10k and you have just said yes to marriage??!!??! Crazy!!! But it was so fun.

Sorry to go on and on and on... my legs have not recovered after this, so I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and try an ice bath 5 hours after finishing the run... nap (and a yummy chili cheese omelete) came first this time!

http://animations.fg-a.com/congrats_002.gif[/img] Amy....Great story. I am so glad you shared it. Sounds like it was alot of fun despite the mud...:)...Very sweet of you to encourage the half marathoners. You did great and deserve a nap....but an icebath...:eek: ...

Great Job on that 10K Amy!! I think if my man had just proposed to me before a run, I'd be flying so high, I would make a PR for sure!! I wonder how the happy couple did!

I thought about my DH a lot today. In 3 weeks, we will be celebrating our 7th! I married the right guy, that is for sure! I think I'm going to keep him!;-)

Shelley, I am so glad your hip did not cause a lot of trouble! I missed the thread where you told us what was wrong...mind filling me in?? How is it feeling tonight?

Laura, Best of luck on your long run tomorrow! I know you'll have a blast! It was a chilly one today, here in Ohio...huh? The wind was such a pain in the ass! Both my brother and I have wind burn on our faces. I like the look...a healthy glow!:7

Elaine, did you allow your husband to live after that remark?? You can get him back tomorrow!}( When he finishes his 1/2, look at your watch and say "Man, feels like you have been out there all day...did you have a lot of trouble?". I will come up with better ones as the night progresses!

I need to post again to say how very proud I am of each and every one of you! This thread is always such a very positive one...always so happy! I think it is because we are all super jacked up from the awesome chemical release from running!

GREAT JOB, Ladies! Enjoy the flow!! Then come brag about it!!

You're so right about this thread, Sarah!!

And an ice bath 5 hours after completion of a run, I am very sorry to say, DOES help with the soreness/pain. It's such an excrutiating thing to do voluntarily, but man does it help!!!! ;)

Hi Sarah:

Around about January I was doing marathon training. I did a 12 mile run and after that my hip just started to ache. I cut back my runs more and more, but it wasn't helping. I was starting to have to modify my stride, which was negatively impacting on my running, so I decided just to give it a rest from running for a month or so. Today was my first day back.

Unfortunately, it's aching like the Dickens tonight:(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.