Releasing Negativity

KatieDid

Cathlete
Can anyone recommend any good activities for releasing negative energy? I'm thinking of things like writing down the issue and releasing it in a baloon.... (a good one that just didn't work this time). Activities that encourage you to examine the problem and then MOVE ON!! ?

I'm struggling with a major weight gain associated with my move to Germany and some personal resentment issues. My mother was hit by a drunk driver in December and broke both legs and her left wrist. DH's boss won't let him take Emergency Leave for either of us to go back to the states to help her.

Your help is awlays appreciated.

Katie

I write down at the beginning of the week how I want things to go, what I want to accomplish, etc., then I say it out loud, and put the notes in my wallet.

So you write it down and verbalize it(spelling?). Honestly, it works. I started doing this about 3 months ago, and it helps you let go of stuff you would ordinarily worry and stew about.

Just Do It! :)

Hi Katie,

I'm really NO GOOD at all with these types of things so I have "0" advice for letting go of negative energy, but I did want to just express how sorry I am that you're going through a tough time right now! It must be even more difficult for you to deal with being so far away from your Mom right now. But I'm sure as each person reads this post they'll say a silent prayer for you and your Mom, and hopefully that will help and bring you some peace of mind. I'll say a prayer for your Mom's speedy recovery as soon as I close this post. :)

------------------------------------------------------

And why I have no methods of releasing negative energy? True story!
During my dysfunctional childhood, I was never allowed to worry, hate, fear or cry! These were all signs of weakness according to my father! If I showed, even remotely any of these signs I was immediately lectured and reminded and had to repeat the following phrase: "It can't kill you and it can't eat you!"

*Perhaps now we all know why I ended up at 375lbs huh? I guess swollowing all those emotions had to pack on some pounds! :)

I hope you feel better soon Katie, and I hope someone here has a better answer for you than I did! :)

Donna

Fitness~It's a journey, not a race!

As cheesy as this might sound, the only method for releasing negative energy that has always worked for me is hard-core cardio and harder-core strength training. I find that when I push myself to my physical limits, I'm forced at least for a little while to NOT think about my other life problems, and at the end, when all is worked and all is stretched and clean, I can cope with those woes a little better. And I've tried many other things in earlier times: journalizing; support groups; individual counseling; reading; etc.

I'm very sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing right now. Sometimes everything comes in a big blue wave, doesn't it?

Please, however, keep coming back here - perhaps that might go a far way towards helping you release the N.E.!

Annette Q. Aquajock

KatieDid, I am soooooo sorry to hear of your present situation. This is the way that I handle strees and negativity:

------I pray, let go and let God. If I can fix it or do something about it, I do. If I cannot do anything about it, I have to let it go. Otherwise, it eats me inside, it robs my peace and it gives me ulcers (you know, that burning sensation in your stomach). I also get chest pains If I don't stop thinking about it.------

Try to do something else, concentrate on something else (reading, exercising, cleaning the house(!)). Give your undivided attention to your present life, in your present state and put all your energy into something you can control.

I will pray for you and your situation.

Blessings from our home to yours, Runathon

Three things that usually work for me:

deep-cleaning the house
playing my flute
doing my hardest workout

I know what it's like to be so far away and want to help. We were stationed in Germany while my paternal Grandma was dying of Alzheimer's, and the only reason I got to go home for her funeral was because she had been my guardian when I was a kid. When my maternal granddad was sick, I couldn't go back.

Jenne

Katie,

I have just realised that you are the same Katie that posted on the weight loss thread. I am sorry to hear about all the issues you are dealing with at the moment <<<<<CYBER-HUGS>>>>>>.
But I agree with what other posters have written, a darned good workout, the best stress reliever known to man. And yes, I have been known to clean the house, from top to bottom, after arguments, with music on LOUD :)-)) and sing your heart out as well.

IMO, Exercise strengthens the body and mind to fight troubles, without that strength we can't fight them.

Take Care

Anna :)

Oh wow. Your post is very timely. The fact that you are asking how to get rid of negative energy is great.

Anyhow this helps a lot for me. ATTITUDE is key. I REALLY believe positive attitudes attract positive energy. I just lost my job and realize just how key this. Things that help for me

1. Having a definite plan where you want to be. Focus on getting to that point. Put all your energy on that. Have a definite goal - a plan and follow the plan.

2. Realize that every adversity has a positive attached.. eg. not working but I have more time for my kids in the afternoon, can read, can workout, can really focus on the job search.

3. You have to REALLY WORK on being positive. For some of us it's positive thinking, others prayer, positive thinking books, affirmations. Make it a priority and a part of your day.

4. Surround yourself with positive people. It doesnt have to be many - quality not quantity is key.

5. FOcus on the aspects of life that are going well - be it physical, intellectual, friends, interest, relationship, carreer, spiritual, emotional, kids. Whatever.

6. Be thankful for what is working well and be thankful for your unique qualities eg. I'm a great Mom, I'm strong, positive...

7. Do something for someone else - a friend, spouse, child, stranger, co-worker.

Hope this works for you. It certainly helps for me! Sending good vibes your way!!!

First, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. That is so serious. It's no wonder you feel bad.

From your post, it shows that you are a caring person. I'd bet that you got that from your mother, and that she's as caring as you. Knowing how mom's are, even now, she's probably more worried about you, than you are of her. Imagine that.

Just hearing that you are doing well, is probably one of the things that could really make her happy. Wouldn't it be great if you could tell her, "I'm doing well. I've been eating pretty carefully, and exercising. I've got some great step videos, and even lift weights (gasp!) a little."?

If you do get a chance to see her, you'll want to be at your best. You'll want to be vibrant, and strong, and ready to sweep her off her feet. You'll want to spin circles around her, and show her how easy things are for you. Show her that she raised and need not worry about a strong, capable daughter. Now is your chance to charge up your body for the future, for the life you will be leading a few years from now.

It's a paradox: Sometimes, the best way to take care of those you love, is to take care of yourself.

tk

Thank you all for your responses. I'm trying each and every one of them and I feel better already! (Although my DH will fall over if I actually cleaned the house from top to bottom....)

More than anything, I think I needed the chance to process this with friends and you gave me that. I have increased my prayer life and my exercise time. I am making every effort to take good care of myself. I have written out my list and journaled my visualization and I carry them both with me throughout the day.

I am thankful that my mother is coping well and she is supportive of me even during this hardship for herself. I am thankful for having an extra month to spend with my beautiful children and loving husband. And I thank you for your generosity of spirit in reaching out to me.

Katie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.