Rebounders on carpet

Skyeblu

Cathlete
I posted this before but didn't get a response, I did a search but did not find the answer I was looking for so I thought I would try again, sorry to be a nudge ;)

Does anyone use rebounders over carpet? I have wall to wall and then I have a thin "office-type" piece of carpet I roll out as not to sweat all over the good carpet and wear it out. It also makes it a bit more steady for step or balancing. Do you think it will be ok? I can't jump around too much as I am carpet over cement and I tend to feel it right away from high impact stepping.
Also, do you use it often? can you use it often? I thought maybe I can jump around while I watch tv or something.
For those who have carpet and advise me to get one, any suggestions as to a good sturdy one? How about that guy JB Burns is he good? I am an advanced level if that helps, and have used rebounders in the past at my old gym.
Thanks,
Skye

Hi Skye,

I just got a rebounder for Christmas. I use mine on cement. I have the rubber puzzle mats over my cement floor. I've been using it for the high impact floor work and Hi/Lo.
I can't wait to do Kickmax on it. I have this workout slated for tomorrow.

I asked for mine for X-mas just for doing high impact on my cement floor. My back was begining to bother me. I'm hoping the rebounder helps.

Elaine

Thanks Elaine, if you have time, keep me updated on how you like it and if you do use it often. Would love to know. I just remember how fun it was and want one. Do you know where it was purchased, do you have any DVD's that came with it?

I'll try to answer some of your questions:

>Does anyone use rebounders over carpet? I have wall to wall
>and then I have a thin "office-type" piece of carpet I roll
>out as not to sweat all over the good carpet and wear it out.
>It also makes it a bit more steady for step or balancing. Do
>you think it will be ok?

I don't know what the problem would be? I use my rebounder on puzzle mats over a wood floor, but I imagine a carpet would be fine.

>Also, do you use it often? can you use it often? I thought
>maybe I can jump around while I watch tv or something.

I haven't used mine for a while (I go in spurts), but many people use it daily (for more moderate workouts, or even doing a "health bounce" for 10 minutes a day for the lymphatic benefits).

I just set mine up again, and use it for "jump rope" intervals on a new Core Secrets workout. I also plan to use it for Cardio Coach (I did volume 5 the other day on the rebounder, at it worked well. I did need something to look at, though--CC is an audio program--so I put on the Twilight Zone marathon on Sci-Fi, volume off and captions on, and that gave me something to look at).

Since you're posting here, I assume you have Cathe workouts. MIC and the blast segments from KM can be taken to the rebounder.

>How about that guy JB Burns is he good?
The Urban Rebounding workouts are rather repetitive. JB Burns is o.k., but he has some mannerisms that could be annoying (sometimes, he addresses himself "come on, JB," and he has an odd head shake--if you know Sharon Mann, she does the same thing--like he just got a sudden endorphin surge, LOL!)

Many of the UR workouts are rather short (20 minutes).

The most advanced UR workout is actually one that used to come on video, with the rebounder. Otherwise, if you get the "Advanced" workout, it contains pretty much all the basic UR moves (it's on the Compilation DVD 1).

Some of the other UR instructors have some interesting workouts, like "Box and bounce,"Resistance bound,""Sports specific Bound,"and "Interval Bound." Unfortunately, these are scattered around on the other 3 compilation DVD's, with some not-as-intersting (IMO) workouts.

Fitprime's "G-Force," with Tracie Long, has some more inventive moves, IMO. It's available through some online rebounder companies.

I've actually taken Leslie Sansone workouts (which I bought specifically for this purpose) and do them on the rebounder, substituting moves (ie: jacks for step/touches, jogs for knee-ups, other moves that I just invent as I go along). I like having the music to keep me motivated, and having someone doing something somewhat similar to what I'm doing at the same time.

There are three workouts called "plyorobics" (from www.plyorobics.com --they are intended to be done on a plyometrci mat ) that can be used on the rebounder without much mofication (especially the "challenge" workout, which transfers very nicely).

You can get an advanced workout on the rebounder by doing sprints, powerful jacks, using weighted gloves (1# max., IMO).

Have fun!

Skyeblu,

I have Urban Rebounder, but it is gym grade. It can not be folded but it is sturdier and more solid than the home version. I got it from e-bay, about $200, including 5 compilation dvds. I only did the first compilation. The music is Ok, and the workout is kind of boring. I am advanced level, too. When I did advanced cardio in the first compilation, my heart rate was average 160. So I am happy with that. And I don't mind the boring music and workout. I have to use it because of my knees and foot problem. I did Cathe's high impact workout in that, too. It saved my life because I could not do those jumps in my basement, which is cement. I love it. I did not use it for a few months since my foot injury. Now I am getting back to workout. I planned to use it once every week starting last week.

I heard many ladies from TLT forum talking about G-Force. I also read the review in VF. It looks like the best workout for rebounder. I am going to get it. It is kind of pricy though, $24.99. But according to the ladies, this is worth every cent.

I did not use any carpet. I just put rebounder over cement. So far my knees did not aching out. Sorry, not much help in this area.

WantFit

"Become the change you want to see in the world. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi

http://spaces.msn.com/members/WantFit/

Kathryn, thanks for sharing your UR dvds ideas.

Could you let me know where can I get Leslie Sansone workouts? Do you know how many minutes each of her workout?

Thanks

WantFit

"Become the change you want to see in the world. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi

http://spaces.msn.com/members/WantFit/

Thanks Ladies! Very useful information. I like the fact that it does not take up space and I can do it watching tv. Will put on my New Years list of things to buy.
Kathryn... I do have Kickmax and have NOT been able to do the blasts due to my flooring, but now I would be able to, great idea.

>but he has some mannerisms that could be annoying (sometimes, he addresses
>himself and he has an odd head shake--if you know Sharon Mann, she does the
>same thing--like he just got a sudden endorphin surge, LOL!)

Oh not to insult her teaching abilities but I cannot stand watching her, she urks me and I do notice that head shaking, that really bothers me, LOLOLOL. Thanks for the warning.

Skye

>Kathryn, thanks for sharing your UR dvds ideas.
>
>Could you let me know where can I get Leslie Sansone workouts?
> Do you know how many minutes each of her workout?
>

You can find some at retail (Walmart often has them), but not all. I've also seen them at www.collagevideo.com and www.amazon.com . I get the 3 and 4-mile workouts (45 minutes to an hour long). There are shorter workouts as well (always categorized by "miles.") She is coming out with a more challenging, longer 5-mile DVD soon (info is up at Collage).

I got a "walk/kick" video from her at Walmart. It's only 30 minutes long, but combines walking and kickboxing (ignore her form!). I've actually used that one one the floor, taking up the intensity by doing "skaters leap" moves and moves with a bit more oomph, when I was getting back into working out after a slump (much nicer and more motivating to be able to "up" the intensity of a workout like this, rather than having to reduce the intensity of something like IMAX2! I liked the workout so much that I picked up its companion, "Walk/Jog."

Be forewarned that Leslie is very chatty! I can pretty much tune out her blather (though her giggle is somewhat annoying), but it can annoy some.

I suggest checking out the reviews of her workouts at www.videofitness.com and previewing some of them at www.collagevideo.com .

Skye,

My rebounder is not the urban rebounder. I know some people will say the urban rebounder is the best one to get. I got mine from Dick's sporting store. It is made with springs like the urban rebounder. I find it very sturdy. It does not fold up for easy storage. It cost about $40.00.

I did not want to spend a lot of money on it. We have a large trampoline in our yard and I love going on it with the kids. So, I thought the fun factor on a rebounder would keep my interest as well as being able to do the high impact cardio that I've been missing.

Elaine

Skye,

I got the Urban Rebounder from HSN and I read somewhere that someone saw them at Dick's recently. I use mine on carpet. Haven't used it as much as I wanted because we were in an apartment and the noise bugged DH, but now we're in a house and I made the basement my workout area, so I will use it more.

I have three of the UR DVDs and use some of the workouts. Some of the workouts are definitely better than others. JB bugs me, but I can tolerate some of the other instructors. There are some reviews of the different workouts over at videofitness.com.

I think you already got great suggestions on how to incorporate it or adapt other workouts to it. I also like to use it to warm-up, esp. before floorwork.

Melissa

I have an urban rebounder and I love it. My favorite thing to do is just put on good music and make up my own stuff. I've had and sold most of the UR workouts and G-Force. The rebounder workouts I like the best are the Champion Rebounding workouts by Jerry James. I like the instructor and the workouts are fun. I still prefer to just zone out to good music on my own though.

My UR is actually my 3rd rebounder. My first one was a cheapo I bought for my son who was like 5 at the time. He ended up jumping so much we replaced the top and springs several times. When I jumped on it the springs went out right away. Then I got one off ebay that is supposed to be like the Needak. It has a softer bounce that I don't care for as much as the stiffer UR bounce, so then I got the UR and I love it.

I have had problems with rebounders on carpet though. Jumping on a soft surface the metal legs eventually work their way through the bottoms of the rubber feet. In other words the bottoms of the rubber shoes weaken because there is no support from the soft carpet surface, and the legs punch through. Then you have the ends of the hollow metal tubes cutting into your carpet. I still have and use a rebounder on carpet in my family room but I put a computer chair under it to at least provide some support. I mainly use my UR on puzzlemat and I worried about the feet issue, so we made some wooden shoes (lol) out of 2x4 blocks. We just sunk holes the diameter of the metal legs and slipped the block onto the leg. Now I have no more indent problems in the mat which I think would have lead to the same thing I had happening on the carpet.

Good luck!
Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.