Question for onebuffmom.....

joditoad1974

Cathlete
I saw your pic on the other page, they are amazing....My question for you is how often did you work on upper body? Did you use anything other than slow and heavy. I have been doing slow and heavy twice a week for about a month....

Just curious about what kind of rotation you did to get such great results.....I want to look like you....WOW!

Thanks,

Joanna

Hi J.,

Not One Buff Mom (but wish I were!) but have you seen her rundown of her routine in "Success Stories" under the thread "12 Week Meltdown"?
It's so fascinating to read her eating and workout routine.

...and now, I'll let One Buff Mom jump in...applause, applause

X

Look under the often neglected category of "Success Stories" on this forum. (For example, we're now in "Open Discussion". Look for the thread that says "12 Week Meltdown" by One Buff Mom. That's it and worth the visit.

X

>I saw your pic on the other page, they are amazing....My
>question for you is how often did you work on upper body? Did
>you use anything other than slow and heavy. I have been doing
>slow and heavy twice a week for about a month....
>
>Just curious about what kind of rotation you did to get such
>great results.....I want to look like you....WOW!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joanna

Hi Joanna ~

Thank you for your kind compliments. People who are in the lifestyle know what it takes...I value your comments, critiques and compliments.

I used the Slow & Heavy series in the first 8 weeks of the challenge interminently (sp?) with the Gym Styles from the Hardcore series. I train my upper body 4x/week: Chest & Triceps 2x/week and Back & Shoulders 2x/week (if time or energy is running short, I skip Biceps - they are recruited in exercises for larger muscle groups). The last four weeks of the challenge I worked out six times/week rotating the Gym Styles - Legs and Chest/Triceps and Back/Shoulders in the PM - I did 30-60 mins of FASTED CARDIO every morning 6x/week.

Doing Slow and Heavy twice a week for "about a month" is terrific. Now it's time to change things up. Do you have other strength building DVD's? Our bodies adapt to routines and stop "growing"...you need to keep your muscles confused and challenged...doing so will achieve faster results.

Nutrition is a HUGE part of the muscle-building equation. Make sure you're eating enough to support your workouts. How's your nutrition?

I took a one week lay-off after I completed the 12 week challenge and am currently doing only 30 mins of FASTED HIIT CARDIO along w/ my weight training rotation - I am researching programs to build more muscle while not letting the BF% get too high. I am learning that this goal is difficult but not impossible to achieve.

If you're interested in learning more about intelligent, effective weight lifting check out: The New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove.

Eat right...train hard...get rest!

Good luck!

>I saw your pic on the other page, they are amazing....My
>question for you is how often did you work on upper body? Did
>you use anything other than slow and heavy. I have been doing
>slow and heavy twice a week for about a month....
>
>Just curious about what kind of rotation you did to get such
>great results.....I want to look like you....WOW!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joanna

Hi Joanna ~

Thank you for your kind compliments. People who are in the lifestyle know what it takes...I value your comments, critiques and compliments.

I used the Slow & Heavy series in the first 8 weeks of the challenge interminently (sp?) with the Gym Styles from the Hardcore series. I train my upper body 4x/week: Chest & Triceps 2x/week and Back & Shoulders 2x/week (if time or energy is running short, I skip Biceps - they are recruited in exercises for larger muscle groups). The last four weeks of the challenge I worked out six times/week rotating the Gym Styles - Legs and Chest/Triceps and Back/Shoulders in the PM - I did 30-60 mins of FASTED CARDIO every morning 6x/week.

Doing Slow and Heavy twice a week for "about a month" is terrific. Now it's time to change things up. Do you have other strength building DVD's? Our bodies adapt to routines and stop "growing"...you need to keep your muscles confused and challenged...doing so will achieve faster results.

Nutrition is a HUGE part of the muscle-building equation. Make sure you're eating enough to support your workouts. How's your nutrition?

I took a one week lay-off after I completed the 12 week challenge and am currently doing only 30 mins of FASTED HIIT CARDIO along w/ my weight training rotation - I am researching programs to build more muscle while not letting the BF% get too high. I am learning that this goal is difficult but not impossible to achieve.

If you're interested in learning more about intelligent, effective weight lifting check out: The New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove.

Eat right...train hard...get rest!

Good luck!

And just to expand on the above question, (which I believe fasted indicates that you worked out first thing in the morning before eating), what did you use for HIT? Imaxes?

One Buff, can you post an example of a week's schedule-am and pm? Are you Cathe exclusive with your training?

Thanks,
X

And just to expand on the above question, (which I believe fasted indicates that you worked out first thing in the morning before eating), what did you use for HIT? Imaxes?

One Buff, can you post an example of a week's schedule-am and pm? Are you Cathe exclusive with your training?

Thanks,
X

Laura - Not a dumb question. X is right - FASTED CARDIO is cardio first thing in the AM before eating.

X - here's a 6 day schedule:

AM - fasted HIIT cardio - 30 mins. minimum; 60 mins. max (4-6x/week);once or twice a week I'll do an ab/core workout after the cardio (time permitting)

PM -
M - Legs
T - Chest & triceps
W - Back & shoulders
Th - Legs
F - Chest & triceps
S - Back & shoulders

If I don't have the time or energy, I skip biceps because they are recruited when training larger muscle groups. Sometimes, I'll do extra sets or reps to break thru plateaus. I want to widen my back so I am also doing some lat pulldowns and pull-ups in addition to the Gym Style back DVD. I use Cathe's DVDs exclusively. I like to use the DVDs for "pace-setting" it keeps the workout moving and since I train at home, I enjoy "the company"!

If, for any reason, I skip a day, I pick up where I left off and continue the 6 day schedule. For example, I'm not feeling well today so I skipped my AM cardio. If I'm not feeling better, I'll skip the weights this afternoon (LEGS). Tomorrow, if I'm well, I will do today's workouts. I will not take my REST DAY on Sunday (because today is a REST DAY).

There are countless ways you can vary your weight-training rotations.

I hope I answered your questions.

Take care!
~ Kim

Hi Kim,
You've been so helpful already I just had a quick question about your eating schedule. Did you stop eating after a certain time in the evening?
Thanks!
Mattea

Wow!!! and again, WOW!!
Yes, could you tell us what Cardio you did? I have all of Cathe's DVD's from the Intensity Series forward and I've changed things up some for me, but I want to do your routine through the 12 weeks. So, would you tell us what cardio you did, hopefully some of Cathe's DVD's, I LOVE her Cardio DVD's too.
Thank you in advance.

" My treasures do not chink or glitter, They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night" - Bedouin Proverb
" On the rail at a show walk!"
Melissa

>Hi Kim,
>You've been so helpful already I just had a quick question
>about your eating schedule. Did you stop eating after a
>certain time in the evening?
>Thanks!
>Mattea

Hi Mattea! I don't "stop eating after a certain time". What I do is space 5 - 6 meals out between 2.5-3 hours throughout the day. During the work week I have my first meal at around 5:45AM (a protein shake that I drink while getting ready for work). I usually don't finish that until almost 6:30AM (morninging are crazy, aren't they?). My next meal is at 9:30AM and so on every 3 hours or so until I've had 5-6 meals. On the weekends, my first meal is usually a little later than during the week, therefore, my last meal would be later on the weekends than it is during the week. Believe it or not, it's harder for me to stay on a meal schedule on the weekends because I tend to be busier around the house or running errands.

If I have munchies after my last meal, I drink a full glass of water and grab a few almonds or baked pita chips. I don't starve myself - that would be counterproductive. I enjoy flavored sparkling water, too, (no artificial sweetners or sodium). I used to be a Diet Coke-aholic! I stopped drinking diet soda in January and don't miss it at all. The flavored sparkling water tastes like a treat, now. Four months ago, I would've said, "Yeah, right!" if someone told me that! I also thought I could never drink a gallon of water in a day but I do!

Hi Melissa! One of my goals in the Meltdown was to increase my endurance. Cardio has never been my strength or passion. When I started with Cathe, I thought I'd never make it thru any of step routines - it was very humbling. I won't kid you, they are still a huge, huge challenge for me. I did LoMax and Step Blast a number of times during the first 8 weeks of the Meltdown. Cathe's cardio DVDs are excellent! I don't think there's a bad one in the bunch, honestly.

>Kim, You are absolutely GORGEOUS!!! You should be so very
>proud at what you have achieved! You look amazing and just
>perfect!! WOW!

Sarah! You look pretty amazing yourself! As a matter of fact, you are one of the people on this forum who motivated ME! What are goals? Any competition aspirations? You could do it!

~ Kim

Ah, thanks Kim! I am so happy to hear that in some way, I helped you become as fit, healthy and happy as you are now!

Right now, the goal is to run a marathon! May 7th is the "Big Day"!!

Keep up the excellent work!!

Kim...I agree with Sarah!! You look awesome!...http://bestsmileys.com/signs7/13.gif[/img] You are quite an inspiration to this forum....:)

Kim, I think you should put all your pictures on a picture trail. I know they will help a lot of people here! They will feel so motivated after seeing all you accomplished in 12 weeks time! You are a perfect example of what you can do if #1 you really want it #2 really stick with it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.