Question for Kathryn

trotchase

Cathlete
I don't really post much just frequently read the posts since others always seem to cover what I am interested in.

I respect your nutritional knowledge following your replies regarding a vegan diet and I was looking for your feedback regarding the Thrive Diet.

I once again need to lose about 60 pounds (yo-yo dieter) and I am intrigued with his book. I had transitioned into a vegan lifestyle a few years ago and unfortunately returned to the SAD diet for the last year and half leading to weight gain (coupled due to emotional eating, a back injury which prohibited exercising and my mother's cooking!)

Do you think this is a good plan to follow for weight loss? Looking over his recipes they seem really high in fat ie. the burgers, direct fuel bites. I realize what he uses are healthy fats it is just that other plans like McDougall, Ornish etc recommend a low fat diet.

Also, do you have any favorite recipes from the book?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. I do crave heartier meals that are satisfying - a salad just doesn't cut it for me. I tend to drink a smoothie for breakfast with either Spiru-tein or Nutiva hemp shakes (thanks to you!) with flaxseed, psyllium powder, fruit, spinach, soymilk and just recently Vitamineral Green. It's just that my cravings and hunger have just been out of control and I know it is due to the SAD diet that is why I am seeking advice on the Thrive Diet.

Sorry to be so long just trying to give you an overview!

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read :)

Gina

Hi, Gina!

>Do you think this is a good plan to follow for weight loss?
>Looking over his recipes they seem really high in fat ie. the
>burgers, direct fuel bites. I realize what he uses are
>healthy fats it is just that other plans like McDougall,
>Ornish etc recommend a low fat diet.

I actually don't use any specific recipes from his book, but have incorporated some of the foods into my diet (hemp protein powder, which I've been using ever since I read the original "Thrive," Maca root powder, his Vega smoothie infusions ---no 'gak' taste like the meal replacement powder, LOL!). So I haven't paid much attention to the fat content (though as I recall, the fats come from whole foods, like nuts and avocados, and not from oils) or specific recipes.

As for the high fat, I think it works for him him, but he burns so many calories training for his triathalons and ultramarathons, and his problem is more maintaining weight and muscle, because he burns off so much. For someone needing to lose weight, less fat would probably be better. You might want to check out Dr Fuhrman's latests books (they've been on sale at his site www.drfuhrman.com for $10 off) they are more 'moderate fat' than low fat, but he also limits oils and relies on naturally-occuring fats from whole foods. Also www.ravediet.com , which is a low fat vegan diet.

>I do crave heartier meals
>that are satisfying - a salad just doesn't cut it for me.

I find soups quite satifying and low fat (I'm talking broth-based ones, and not cream-based, though Dr. Fuhrman has some recipes for some that are 'cream' based, using blended nuts as the 'creamy' portion). They are also high in water content, which makes them nutrient dense (put LOTS of veggies and beans in!) but low in calories.

> I
>tend to drink a smoothie for breakfast with either Spiru-tein
>or Nutiva hemp shakes (thanks to you!) with flaxseed, psyllium
>powder, fruit, spinach, soymilk and just recently Vitamineral
>Green. It's just that my cravings and hunger have just been
>out of control and I know it is due to the SAD diet that is
>why I am seeking advice on the Thrive Diet.

Fuhrman's new books might actually help you a lot, as they offer a progressive way to transition into a more and more healthy diet. The first book gives the information and motivation, and the second book has recipes and meal plans, as well as a rating system of different foods based on their nutritional density.

HTH
If you have any more questions, be sure to ask (I'll try to answer!).

Wow! Thanks for the info. I forgot about Dr. Fuhrman. I'll have to go through his ETL book when I return home next week. I remember being interested in it, but for some reason never pursued it. I ended up following Dr. John McDougall's low fat vegan plan and lost weight. I really liked eating a lot of carbohydrates on that plan, but I didn't like not being able to use even a little bit of oil or nuts/seeds which I LOVE! Which then eventually led me to over eat on high fat food since they weren't "allowed". So, I'm looking for an inbetween. I just feel so lost again as to what to eat/how much etc that is why I'm looking for a plan at first and then I usually adapt from there.

I didn't realize Dr. Fuhrman had new info out. I will probably get those books since I am in need of a transition since I can't fathom going cold turkey. Thanks for that! I'll have to look into the Rave diet - never heard of that.

Also, believe it or not, I have an odd curiosity in the raw food movement. I've read a lot about it, even have a few books, tried a few recipes and think maybe someday I can achieve that. It is just soooo hard for me to stick to something like that with temptations from my family, parties, restaurants, etc. So, maybe I'll strive for 80-90% raw with occasional treats. For me though, food is like an addiction and if I just have one taste it makes me wanting more! Going raw would probably take years for me. Just didn't know what you thought on the whole keeping the enzymes and food alive and sprouting grains and seeds?

I hope to see some day in my lifetime (I'm 36) that our way of eating will be the norm with more options available to us and more people adhering to it.

Oh, were do you get your maca? So far I can only find the gelatinized form he recommends at the site listed in his book. I haven't ordered any yet. How do you use it - in smoothies?

And if you don't mind one more question. Do you use any green supplementation like chorella or spirulina or supergreen mixes? I just bought a bottle of Vitamineral Green hoping to see if giving my body the nutrients it needs would curb my appetite. That what I want is hunger control! I swear my stomach is always growling!

Thanks again! Sorry for bombarding you but you are the only one I know that I could even think of asking!

>Also, believe it or not, I have an odd curiosity in the raw
>food movement. I've read a lot about it, even have a few
>books, tried a few recipes and think maybe someday I can
>achieve that. It is just soooo hard for me to stick to
>something like that with temptations from my family, parties,
>restaurants, etc. So, maybe I'll strive for 80-90% raw with
>occasional treats.

I've dabbled in raw food. I guess you could call me "raw curious"! From my own experience and from reading, I don't know if 100% is even a good idea. There are some foods that are better digestible cooked (grains come to mind) and some nutrients are more easily absorbable when cooked (like lycopene in tomatoes).I do think that an 80-90% raw diet can be very good, with the higher percentage in the summer when fresh produce is more available (unless you're lucky enough to live in a tropical paradise!)

I find that some raw fooders rely a lot on really high-fat foods. Alyssa Cohen comes to mind. And I've seen her lately on TV, and she doesn't look very healthy. Oddly puffy. Her recipes are often high fat and rely on nuts very heavily. Also on dehydrating.

I think it's wise to take what is good from various sources, and incorporate it into your own diet. Raw food recipes can be a part of that .

One raw food recipe book I'd recommend is "Raw Food Made Easy" by Jennifer Corbleet. It has more veggie-based recipes. I really like the "Garden Wraps," which are onions and mushrooms marinated in soy sauce, wrapped in collard leaves with avocado, cucumber and carrots.

>> Just didn't know what
>you thought on the whole keeping the enzymes and food alive
>and sprouting grains and seeds?

I definitely believe in eating largely raw (at least as an ideal), and I know I feel better when I at least start each meal with something raw, and use raw fruits as my snacks. I try to be 50%+ raw in winter (relying on huge salads to help) and higher in summer.

I think sprouted seeds are great. And I also think raw nuts soaked and dried (to activate the enzymes) are nutritionally superior to roasted nuts (and are tastey, too!).

I have mixed feelings about sprouted grains. I do think sprouted grains are better than unsprouted, but I like to limit my consumption of grains in general(especially wheat). From my readings on nutrition, I've come to the conclusion that high-gluten grains especially aren't the best choice for foods. I do eat sprouted grain bread, but otherwise avoid bread most of the time. I also prefer the "pseudo-grains" (that are actually seeds) like quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat.

>I hope to see some day in my lifetime (I'm 36) that our way of
>eating will be the norm with more options available to us and
>more people adhering to it.

Amen to that!
There is hope.
I was at a local restaurant the other night, and while there wasn't a lot for me to eat on the menu, I ended up with a huge spinach salad that was so big and filling that I cancelled the rest of my meal!

>Oh, were do you get your maca? So far I can only find the
>gelatinized form he recommends at the site listed in his book.
> I haven't ordered any yet. How do you use it - in
>smoothies?

I've gotten it from here: http://www.sunfood.com/b2c/ecom/eco...ailNF.aspx?itemNum=0903&siteId=1&bulkexists=0

Veganessentials also carries some, in capsule form : http://store.nexternal.com/shared/S...&Target=products.asp&Submit1.x=12&Submit1.y=8

I usually just toss about a tablespoon of it in a smoothie. It works especially well, taste-wise, in smoothies with banana and chocolate (it has a bit of a carmally flavor to it).

>And if you don't mind one more question. Do you use any green
>supplementation like chorella or spirulina or supergreen
>mixes? I just bought a bottle of Vitamineral Green hoping to
>see if giving my body the nutrients it needs would curb my
>appetite. That what I want is hunger control!

I've used them, usually as ingredients in other supplements (like the Vega smoothie infusion, that contains green foods). I have tried Vitamineral Green, but it certainly is an aquired taste! Before I bought Vega, I would mix my own concoction similar to it. I think chlorella is especially good, but would take it in pill form (just the chlorella, packed together), which is much more palatable than the powder (I think chlorella is what adds the "gak" factor to the Vega meal replacement.

One green supplement I used a lot last summer is fresh-frozen wheat grass from http://www.dynamicgreens.com/ . It's very fresh tasting and pleansantly sweet, thought not sickly sweet like some. And not at all "gaky" tasting.;-) I just drop a frozen cube or two (or three)into a tall glass of water.

Kathryn - you are an amazing woman with a wealth of knowledge! Thank you for all of the info, sites and especially taking your precious time to reply - it is greatly appreciated :)

I'll more than likely just incorporate raw food recipes into my diet instead of focusing on being raw. I just read Dr. Fuhrman's thoughts on the raw food movement and it makes a lot of sense like the points you covered.

>"Raw Food Made Easy" by Jennifer Corbleet

I actually have this book! I've only tried a few recipes a couple of years ago and enjoyed them. Last week when I was trying to curtail my sugar cravings and eat something healthier, I pulled out her book and made the Not Peanut Butter Cookies for the first time - very good! They helped me with my cravings and I couldn't eat more than one (which was half her recommended size) due to the sweetness!
I think it is time to try some more which I will tomorrow, I already have a vegetable side dish picked out.

I've been eating raw nuts for quite some time - never soaked them though, will have to try that. When I would try to eat the nuts that predominantly sold to the public - roasted with additional oil - I didn't even like them and before I loved them! Amazing how your tastes do change!

>I also prefer the "pseudo-grains"

I am eager to try these after reading about them in the Thrive Diet. I would like to experiment eliminating high gluten products believing I may have a sensitivity. I already know I am allergic to corn, not bad, just bloating and nasal stuffiness. Do you buy yours locally or online? I quickly looked for amaranth and couldn't find it but I really haven't searched for that or buckwheat yet, but I do enjoy wild rice and I know I have some quinoa from a recent purchase to try.

Thanks for the maca link. I am going to try that - the benefits of helping curtail stress and help build serotonin I need and should help with the sugar cravings!

I'm still not sure about adding the green supplements. I'm not sure what I'll do once my bottle of Vitamineral Green is gone - I can only handle about 1/2 to 1 tsp in my smoothie! I usually just add spinach or romaine to my shakes to get some additional greens in my diet which doesn't bother me. Chlorella would probably be next.

Question about salad dressings - do you make your own or buy bottled? Do you eat the dressing supplied by restaurants or bring your own? Do you use oil and which do you prefer. I did find some hemp oil which I'll probably use to make some of Brendan's dressings. For some reason I feel guilty eating an oil based dressing.

Ok - I think we have covered a lot today and I have more research to do (which I love!)

I was feeling lost and overwhelmed and ready to quit before I even tried again, but communicating with you has given me hope once again. It feels good to know that others are out there attempting a healthier lifestyle and succeeding at it. Thank you for being an inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gina

P.S. If you ever desire a career change, there is no doubt that you could help people transitioning to eating healthier - I know I would pay you for guidance and meal plans/recipes! THANK YOU AGAIN!!

>>I already know I am allergic to corn, not bad, just bloating and nasal stuffiness. Do you buy yours locally or online? I quickly looked for amaranth and couldn't find it but I really haven't searched for that or buckwheat yet, but I do enjoy wild rice and I know I have some quinoa from a recent purchase to try.

I find my quinoa locally, and amaranth at a store about 45 minutes away that I go to about once a month. I've also ordered online (but less often). Quinoa is pretty easy to find vs some of the other grains. If I want something more exotic than I can find locally, I order online.

Here are a couple of places to try:

http://www.healthy-eating.com/

http://sunorganic.com/ (this place also has the most LUSCIOUS dried organic blueberries!)

>Question about salad dressings - do you make your own or buy
>bottled? Do you eat the dressing supplied by restaurants or
>bring your own? Do you use oil and which do you prefer. I
>did find some hemp oil which I'll probably use to make some of
>Brendan's dressings. For some reason I feel guilty eating an
>oil based dressing.

I don't use much dressing. When I make my lunch salad (often an entire romain heart torn up, maybe with some spinach and arugula), I'll often sprinkle on about a tsp of olive oil (Bariani, a raw, extra virgin type I buy from www.onelucklyduck.com , it's very flavorful, so a little goes a long way) then I add in about a Tbsp or so of one of Dr. Furhman's flavored vinegars. The other day, I made a 'creamy' dressing with a couple tablespoons of soy yogurt and a few tablespoons of his blueberry vinegar). Many times, I won't even use oil, but put raw sunflower seeds and/or pine nuts and/or avocado on my salads (for the fats that increase absorption of some of the nutrients).

I also don't go to restaurants very often, unless I'm traveling, but when I do, I get an oil/vinegar dressing on the side, and dip my fork in before taking a forkful of the salad. The other night, I went to a restaurant and did this. Of the two "pots" of dressing I received for my huge spinach salad, I used up about 1/2 of one.

I do agree with the RAVE diet and Dr. Fuhrman that oils are processed, un-whole foods that are calorie-dense, and I prefer to limit them.

>I was feeling lost and overwhelmed and ready to quit before I
>even tried again, but communicating with you has given me hope
>once again. It feels good to know that others are out there
>attempting a healthier lifestyle and succeeding at it. Thank
>you for being an
>inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so very welcome !

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.