Question about GWF - Calories Cal

WantFit

Cathlete
Hi, All,

I got mine Thur night. After fiddled the installation, I found out the problem was due to my laptop. I installed the software in both my dd's and office. Yesterday was my full day recording.

I have a couple questions about the GWF.

1. Where do I take a 3-day nutrition assessment?
2. Do I need to enter food intake in order to get report showing how my net cal consumed?
3. According to the website cal, it said my target cal burn should be 2550/day, and I consum 2050/day. Yesterday, it showed I burnt 2391. According to my food log in sparkpeople, I consumed 1910 yesterday. So, which one is my real cal deficit: 2391 - 2050 = 341 or 2391 - 1910 = 481?

Thanks

The target numbers GWF is providing you with are just a guideline.
You have to log your food and upload your armband for the actual calories consumed and burned.

My target is 2350 calories burned a day. Some days I make, some days I exceed it, and lazy days I barely break the 2000!

That is what I love about the monitor whether your goal is to lose, maintain, or gain mass, you know what you need to eat based on actuals.

One thing I wanted to mention - be careful when mixing sparkpeople SP numbers and gowearfit GWF, especially if you are used to using a polar hrm or other hrm that includes your basic metabolic rate.

SP includes your basic metabolic rate, your exercise, the deficit you want for the weight loss weight, and assumes a sedentary lifestyle to compute average daily activity. That's what gives you your calorie range.

The polar model I have - I have it calibrated to assume a sedentary lifestyle too, so the calories-burned from that one match up with the SP site (ie, they are the extra calories burned and not the total calories burned).

The GWF number is telling you what you actually are burning, not just the extra calories above your usual lifestyle calories. I find that if I subtract 1-cal-per-minute from the GWF, it agrees almost exactly with my Polar 55 calorie burn. Since my SP numbers are "polar style" and that's how I did my calorie range on SP, when I use the GWF I just do the subtraction before I record my fitness data over on that site.

If you are using the GWF to count calories all day long, then it doesn't matter. You can set your target using your SP range and you should be fine. At least, it's working out for me that the ranges match IF I type in sedentary on the GWF website. If you are using the GWF trip meter to calculate calories burned for individual exercises for the SP fitness log, the way many of us use our heart rate monitors, you will probably want to do what I'm doing as you post your exercises, or you'll find that you are overestimating your calorie range on SP by as much as a calorie per minute of exercise.

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing! I post on SparkPeople under the same name, ShadowPup, if you'd like to talk on SparkPeople about how to get the systems to work together nicely :)

Last edited:
Shadowpup,

I am very confused:eek:
Are you saying the GWF readings are guessing based on the input vs actual readings from the armband?
Yesterday I burned 2615, the day before I burned 2341. How did it get those two different numbers if it's not reading my actual activity?

Thanks. Ladies.

But Shadowpup, 2391 was the cal burnt I got from GWF. I assumed it should be accurate based on my actual activity level. While I kept tracking how much calories I intake (eat from food) via SP. It came out yesterday, I consumed food cal total 1931.

Based on this, can I be safe saying my cal deficit is 481?

Go to the activity manager - Resources - Preferences - and then click Daily Food Logging. Then your summary will show your actual calories of food logged.

I'm glad I purchased this thing. I can see the science in what is needed to lose weight. Not easy burning off a single pound ! I'm trying to burn .3 off a pound a day.

Go to the activity manager - Resources - Preferences - and then click Daily Food Logging. Then your summary will show your actual calories of food logged.

I'm glad I purchased this thing. I can see the science in what is needed to lose weight. Not easy burning off a single pound ! I'm trying to burn .3 off a pound a day.

Parkercp,

I was so surprised that I ate so much calories. I thought my eating was rather OK though is not perfect. But from the numbers, I can see that without working out, I definitely will not lose an ounce!

Regarding food log, I thought GWF only let us enter once every 3 days. But when I was there, it looked like we could enter daily. I am puzzled.

Shadowpup,

I am very confused:eek:
Are you saying the GWF readings are guessing based on the input vs actual readings from the armband?
Yesterday I burned 2615, the day before I burned 2341. How did it get those two different numbers if it's not reading my actual activity?

Cynthia,

May I ask you a question, what workout did you do when you got 2615 burned? I did STS 23 plus Abs Circuit - Yoga base section, plus walking back and forth from Train STation to my work, about 167 cal each way. I only logged 2391. I can't add more workout time, I only got 6 and half hours sleep.

I might have to cut down my eating. Geez, I feel hungry already with the way I ate yesterday.:(

Cynthia,

May I ask you a question, what workout did you do when you got 2615 burned?

Yesterday, I woke up and did BM2 43 minutes cardio mix. Walked through Target, cleaned my kitchen floors, vacuumed the rest of my house, cleaned bathrooms. Later in the evening I did Kick Max with HIIT drills- minus leg work.

You better believe I had to do A LOT to get the number up to 2615.:eek: I'm usually around 2300 on an average day. Yesterday, I reached 2350 by 7pm. I love it when my beeper goes off, but dang I had to work my butt off!:D

Looking at the numbers and actually knowing what it takes to burn calories off has given me a whole new look on cheat foods! I love jelly beans this time of year and 2oz is like 180 calories. I can't eat 2oz...my portions are like 800 calories! Well phooey, that cost me Kick Max, BM2 and then some!!:mad:

I seem to be burning more than I thought. I burned 2800 yesterday -- I did S&H Tri and Bi and walked the dog 5 miles. I am seeing that the walking (and the schlepping the daughter about and the house stuff) burns more than I had thought. Granted, I don't ever expect to hit that number again -- today I had a killer headache, didn't work out and only walked the dog 3.5 miles -- and hit 2000 at 7:30. I have also notice that my body will not permit me to have more than a 600 calorie deficit. I HAVE to eat or I will explode until it is only 600 calories, it seems. Of course, I am overweight, so the calories burned will drop as my weight does, but my body fat is also dropping as I lift heavier and heavier. So we shall see.

Tobermory

When I first got my BodyBugg, I was barely squeaking out 5,000 steps a day.:eek: That included my workouts.:eek: OMG, I was sitting on the computer more than I thought!
One thing this little device has done for me is made me realize how much I was sitting. Now, I make a conscience effort to reach 10,000 steps a day. Even if that means I walk in circles:D:DYesterday, I was so proud of myself...I walked over 17,000 steps!

I love this little gizmo. It is helping me form better habits. It makes me think twice about what I'm eating too. I look at food if it's calorie worthy now. It's amazing! :cool:

Parkercp,

Regarding food log, I thought GWF only let us enter once every 3 days. But when I was there, it looked like we could enter daily. I am puzzled.

The daily logging for GWF is a brand new feature. As you noticed, it allows you to use either method. I'm opting for daily logging for the mean time, it's helping me eat fewer calories and make some better choices. I've had such a hard time losing weight, I really want to see as precisely as possible what's going on.

Wow, thank you ladies for all your input.

I can't go any lower than 1800 cal per day. I was about 1791 today. Today is our dress down day. I was able to wear my stretch jeans size 6.:p. Gezz, this is beeing so long. I haven't this type of jeans for ages. Though I still have at least 20 lbs to go. I wanted to be 103, my current weight is between129 and 130. I had hard time to keep below 130. But when I entered 103 as a goal. It said this is not a healthy weight for me. I am 5'3". So I set my target at 110.

I had no problem to reach 11,000 step a day. I was so surprised to see it. I did not realize that I walked so much. I had to walk from my town parking building to train station. Then from City train station to my office. Just for these two days, I was easily over 11K steps. As of now, 10:30pm, I walked today 12042, yesterday was 11728.

But I did not prepare for that I had hard time to reach 2500 cal burn. I thought if I did one workout, it should hit it. But no. Today I burnt a little bit more than yesterday because instead of fast walk to train station from my office, I jogged. It is kind of HIIT, running within block really fast, then had to stop for the red light. Thanks to GWF, I started to know how to push to get cal burned more.

I had to explore the food entry feature. I got used to SP. I am not used to enter my custom food by ingredient. Hope they can make improvement. I like SP, you can copy one meals to other day so that I don't need to repeat to enter it. Just do some modification. Another feature is in SP, I can enter my customed food nutrition label instead of by ingredient.

Tomorrow is my TM, Elliptical and biking day. I will use my polar hrm. GWF display did not show the hr. It is not a big deal for me. But I am looking forward to seeing how my cal burnt with such vg workout.

Does anyone know if GWF can print out report regarding net cal consumed/burned trend?

How do I find out how much cal I burnt during my workout period if I did not reset trip meter? Will the summary repor show it? I did not see my summary show it. I don't know this is because I only have just over 2 days info.

Good night ladies. Oh, the sleeping pattern monitor is pretty cool.

Does anyone know if GWF can print out report regarding net cal consumed/burned trend?

How do I find out how much cal I burnt during my workout period if I did not reset trip meter? Will the summary repor show it? I did not see my summary show it. I don't know this is because I only have just over 2 days info.

Good night ladies. Oh, the sleeping pattern monitor is pretty cool.

Good morning,

There are two button at the upper right of the Activity Manager, Create Report and Export Data, the Report only provides a pdf of the days you requested but does not summarize, I have not looked at the Export Data closely enough yet, but since it exports to Excel, there is probably a way to figure the averages.

To find out your calories for a workout, go to the Calories Burned section and if you notice, there is a large grayed out area over the time of the day you are awake. That gray area can be customized by sliding the sides in to make the area smaller, so you can gray out for example only 6pm to 7pm to see the calories burned in that hour. Then you can choose the Reset Slide to reset it back to the full day. Because of the spikes on the chart, it's pretty easy to figure out exactly when you started your workout.

And ITA the sleep feature is very cool, I knew I did not sleep well last night, and my Efficiency is at 71%, that's the lowest so far.

I love this thing. I got the display and it helps me move my butt to burn the calories. I've been eating 1100 cal. since I got it and burning 2100-2500 a day and I've lost a pound this week.

I finally think I will be able to drop at least 20#. I had worked out with a trainer 3x a week last summer, went to the gym 3-5x a week and got so frustrated that I only lost 2# that I gave up.

Thanks to this forum I'm finally going to do something about being fat. I guess I just needed to see the science in losing weight.

Anyone who is just using the GWF and not trying to combine the data with SparkPeople, Polar, or anything else should just skip this rather long post :)
This is mainly for fit44 who I did not mean to confuse.:(

To answer the question of where the numbers come from in detail, you might want to go onto the site and read the science articles they point to - that's what I did. Actually, I found a link to their medical products and that's wehre the articles were, come to think of it ... And, I'm no expert in the product - just a techie scientist who reads quite a bit and has been playing with gadgets for exercise measurements on a hobby-basis for some time now :)

But to answer your question, in probably far too much detail or far too little depending on your background … of course we all know that these devices don't actually measure the calories our bodies burn in a day. They are estimating calories burned based on input from their sensors. That's as true for the tanita daily metabolic rate calculation as it is for the polar HRM and for the GWF. If you read the scientific articles behind these gadgets, to see how they are developed, you'll usually discover that the developers took readings with people wearing/using the devices, and also estimated calories burned with a different, usually more precise or at least well-known device. Next, they'll often use some form of mathematical modelling. Neural networks are popular - I think that the Suunto uses that for EPOC in their HRM - and I recall reading others that use genetic algorithms or a combination. Curve fitting, etc. This is part of the design process.

Once you have a mathematical model and have validated that the readings from the sensors, when fed into that model, accurately match up with the results you are getting if you use that fancy and expensive/known medical device that’s only available in hospitals, the next step is to convert the math model into electronics and tie that to the sensors so that you can display the results in some way. You can do this by old fashioned low level circuit design, or by programming a modern computer chip, an EPROM/FPGA, or somewhere in between. It's here you get into some neat discussions about how to handle heat dissipation, cost of the chips, programmability, and so on. But the end result is that the circuits/electronics plus the sensors are being used to produce the calorie estimation. And the way that the circuitry is developed comes from having done experiments with a variety of sensor inputs, comparing them to "the real calorie burn" (as best you can comput it), and then coming up with a model that's embedded in your device. You also get some that don't compare calorie burn but use tables instead.

This still doesn’t tell you why it matters what your metabolic rate is, or weight, or anything like that. That comes from the calibration process I was talking about – developing the model that goes into the device. Take a look at sites like this one

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

Under the advanced options you will see that there are at least three different ways to estimate calories used on this site alone, and these depend on your inputs of anything from your actual muscle mass, body mass, etc etc etc. If you use a gadget that was developed, or calibrated, using one kind of estimate, you will get different numbers than if you use a gadget that was developed, or calibrated, using a different kind of estimate. You’ll also see the same thing if you use the different advanced options in those calorie meters. The more information that these devices use, the more (except in cases only mathemeticians would love) accurate they are. That includes more and better sensors, and more information about individual physical characteristics.

And now I have thoroughly bored everyone :eek:- very sorry for that. You can tell when I get pedantic like this that I’m reverting back to my professorial days :eek: The short story, if you are converting a single trip calorie count to SparkPeople/Polar HRM measurements, subtract one calorie per minute and then enter the data. Otherwise, just enjoy it all by itself :eek:

You can use the GWF just fine without worrying about any of this. I wouldn't have brought it up except that there may be a few people who are converting to the GWF from some other device, and in those cases, they might not be aware that there are differences in measurement styles that become important if you are working with a variety of websites and measurement devices. If I didn't make the conversion I mentioned in my email, subtracting out about one calorie a minute, I'd find myself over by 100-200 calories a day, which would likely result in a ten pound weight gain a year :) I didn't want anyone who might have been influenced by my personal enthusiastic endorsement to end up like that.

Personally I think the best way to use any of these devices is to look at your results, and then either adjust your calorie intake or fitness goals up or down depending on whether you are happy or not.

Last edited:
ShadowPup,

Thanks for explanation and the site. I am not scientist. But your words explained why there is difference among these gadgets.

You are right, the result is going to be the real measurement.

Parkercp,

I am wondering what kind of meals you ate for full day is about 1100 cal? I ate avg 1800 (sometimes even over 1900), I don't feel very satisfied. I was shocked to find out that with just 6 dumplings, it would cost me 260, while I am still not fill fulfilling. I really need to restruct my food structure.

I have a diet shake for breakfast (herbalife), soup or chicken breast for lunch, salad for dinner, and snacks of veggies or an apple or a few animal crackers. And 1100 might be low, it could be near 1500 for all I know. I input the best guesses I have for values that match.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.