Puzzle mats

Lynnne

Cathlete
I've read from others who workout in thier basements that puzzle mats work well. Those who use them - are you talking about the foam puzzle mats that are made for kids? Multi-coloured with letters and numbers on them? If so - we have some, but they seem to slip and slide around on a concrete floor. Are there other types of puzzle mats? Any other suggestions for working out on concrete floors?

I use puzzle mats in my basement. The concrete is tiled and my mats stay in place pretty well. They do scoot around a bit but not too bad. I use the 2ft x 2ft grey mats I got at walmart. The top side has a finish and gets a little slippy when doing yoga, I need to do that on an additional *sticky* yoga mat. The bottom side is more porous and doesn't slip as much. I know some of the foam mats (the ones I had for my kids) have that finish on both sides, and I think that would be a problem. I love my puzzle mats! So nice on my poor old joints. I can do plyo and not feel like I'm jarring myself to death. I like the more slick finish on the top of the mat too, because I can turn during hi-low or step and not leave my knees behind.

Thanks - what department in Walmart? I'm also thinking about a yoga sticky mat....because the puzzle mats at my house that my kids use are just too slippery - I think I'd risk getting an injury...don't know.

I got mine in the sporting goods dept of Walmart. They were $17.95 for 6 2 foot squares. I bought 2 packs then I saw the same darn thing at Target on sale for 11.95. Oh I hate it when that happens. Anyway, good luck with your mats. I hope they work out for you.

I totally agree with everything that ducky said. I bought mine at
Sam's Club for $14.96 for 33.5 sq. feet but I don't remember how many individual tiles - I think there were 6 or 8 per package. I love mine and I too have to use a yoga mat for some exercises to avoid slipping but its not a big deal. Also, I put my feet up against a wall if I'm doing push-ups, planks, etc.

I hope this helps!

Edited to say that mine are multi-colored but do not have letters or numbers on them.

I also use puzzle mats. I bought mine at Sam's club. I can't remember how much I paid for them. I had to get a sticky mat to do lunges and plank work. My mats are black and show a picture of a weight bench and someone working on their car. I love mine as well. They make a big difference on the joints.

Elaine

Hi Lynne...
You can also get them at Home Depot......
I got some at the Wooodbridge store back in the spring.....They wre grey in colour...with 4 in a package

Jenn

Is one layer of puzzle mats over a tile floor enough cushioning? We are buying a new house and the basement is tile over concrete and I wondering about the amount of cushioning I will need to work out safely.

Thanks for any input.

Susan L.G.

Yes Susan, one layer is enough. I don't think you would want to even try stacking 2 layers of these mats because of the slip factor. One layer provides a very nice cushion to about anything you could humanly do ;-)

Pam

I put my puzzle mats over one of those rug cushions that is supposed to prevent slipppage and it works really well. I dont think it would work well on concrete but it does a nice job on my tile floor.

Madonna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.