Puppy Names

sharid

Cathlete
I am fairly new here....just discovered Cathy 4 months ago and am totally addicted! I have been reading some posts about pets, and decided to post one myself. We are getting a puppy in two weeks, a female Weimerauner, but my family can't agree on a name! (we have been trying to come up with one for months!!) Anyone out there have any suggestions for cute, unique, unusual, fun or whatever, puppy names? I have run out of ideas! Thanks, Shari

I like the name Sonoita. Sew-no-wheata

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

Aren't they from Germany? What about a cute German girlie name? I can't think of anything right off the bat...but that would be cute.

Here's another site for weimerauner names.

www.geocities.com/dog_names/weimaraner_names.html

My favorites were Isabell or Sheridan. Once you pick out the puppy and bring it home, ideas may come to you once you have seen her personality. We once had a puppy for about a week before we came up with a name. We finally decided on Picante because she was one spicy puppy.

Jean

My next dog will be Vladimir (Vlad) and I want to get a kitten and name it Van Helsing. Although neither of those work for a girl dog. I tend to have names picked out before the pets. For I girl, I like Isabelle, Belle, Heidi, Mina (there we are, back to Dracula again), Priscilla.

Nan

I have no ideas for puppy names. I struggle to find just the right names for my own. Puppies often run around my house for ages being called "Poops" or "Fuzzbutt" until we finally think of something. And I have a poor, mistreated cockatiel named (sigh) because we can't figure out how to spell what we call her.

I just wanted to say hi to Shari from another Shari. Were you named after Shari Lewis too?

Shari (aka Shari M now)

No suggestions for puppy names but I had to say how wonderful Weimaraners are--very smart, very active and simply beautiful. We had weims for many years including a litter of puppies. Our girl's name was Leia. We also had some boys--Raga and Jai--over the years. Congratulations and I am envious but these dogs are too much for me now in terms of exercise etc. My sons are grown and I don't have the time to play and hike etc. Also just to add they are house dogs and do not like to spend time in kennels. One more suggestion--make sure you crate train your puppy!

We are great dane lovers. Our male is Mufasa - because he's always like a big lion in the way of everything! And you cannot move hime to save your life! Our Annie died at Christmas time. She got her name because we were so excited to get her I went around singing "We got Annie!" from the movie/play. We had planned on getting another female this summer but since I'm pregnant now that's waiting til next summer. But she will be named Sarabi, after Mufasa's wife in Lion King.

Last year I found an abandonned Weimeraner at the dog park. She did have her name tag on (but of course the phone number didn't work).

Her name was Skyla, I LOVED that name and it really fit her. I couldn't keep her but found a new home for her. They called her Gretchen - German name :) I liked Skyla better!

Don't forget to post a picture when you get her.

Hi, We named our cute little adorable puppy Baci, (it means kisses in Italian) because all she does is give lots of kisses. It's pronounced Bah-chi.
It's also the same name of the Italian version of Hershey kisses.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Hi Shari, My parents saw the spelling for my name in a newspaper article, so I guess I was named after a stranger in the paper. :)

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! It is so hard to decide, but I do think that once we see the puppy it will be easier....something will just fit. Phyllis, it is great to hear from someone who has had a weim before. This will be our first. From what I understand, they are a unique breed. I am trying to learn all I can to make sure I do a good job! I appreciate your input! Shari

I won't suggest any names, because I think it's hard to find the 'right' one without seeing the puppy and knowing her personality. Have you met her? Often, after spending time with an animal, a name just kind of comes naturally.

Some general ideas that might help inspire you to find your own name:
You can base names on :
physical characteristics (my cat "Bobsie" has a bobtail, but the name also fits her). Another dearly departed cat I named "Tina," partly because she was tiny and petite. When I was a kid, we had a cat name "Tiger" who was striped. "Patches" was an outdoor cat I started taking care of, who was all black but, before I had him neutered, always got in fights and had big patches of his fur missing at times. I named a cat at the shelter "Domino" because of her black and white markings. (Though I find names like 'fluffy" and "spot" a bit TOO descriptive!

behavioral characteristics (my dearly departed cat "Scooter" used to have to "scoot" out of the way of my other dearly departed cat Frisco when he was young, and the name fit him perfectly). Another childhood cat was called "Punkin'" because when I was trying to figure out a name for her (I was flirting with "Salina," but that would have been WAY WRONG!), my stepmother and I were carving out a pumpkin. We stepped out of the room for a minute, and when we came back, "Punkin'" was curled up inside it!(Maybe that's more of a 'naming by happenstance"!)

Others just kind of come to you: my cat Simon just seemed like a Simon (and has a cute somewhat Jewish-looking nose, though all of us are agnostics, LOL!), Pete just 'seemed' like a Pete. My dearly departed Frisco was called "Keiko" by the people who rescued him, but it didn't quite fit. I noticed he liked the "K" sound when I was playing around with names. I also like the names "Sam" and "Max" for cats (though I've never had a cat yet they fit with !). I tried "Sam", then, inspired by a character in the movie "Alien Nation" (one of the aliens given a human name by a government employee with a sense of humor), tried "Sam Francisco". He didn't seem to dig the "Sam" part, but his ears perked up when I said "Francisco." I kept playing with it some more, until I found the perfect name that both of us liked!

A bit long, but HTH!

Thanks for your suggestions, and no, we haven't met her yet. We have pictures, but won't actually meet her until we go to pick her up, because she is too far from where we live to go for visits.:( I think you are right about being able to find something that works after we see her personality. I have checked out the websites that were posted, which were great by the way! Thanks! I will let you what we decide on....we get to pick her up on May 2nd. My whole family can hardly wait.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.