PULLED HIP FLEXOR MUSCLE?

Gretzky

Cathlete
Hi there: I'm a long time lurker and decided to finally plunge in and ask a question! Before I get to the hip flexor issue, I just wanted to thank you all for your kowledge and advice... for years I had been doing Cathe tapes and plugging along. It wasn't until I started reading the forums that I really brought my fitness to the next level and saw some amazing changes! (Tank Top Arms rotation really did it!) At any rate, back on 12/13, I felt some pain in my right hip flexor (I was doing PH at the time and couldn't do any more lower body work.) I have only done one spin class since, a couple of yoga classes and I did Pyramid Upper Body on Friday. I even had a massage therapist work on it and have done the Epsom salts baths, plus heating pad and lots of stretching. I've been taking ibuprofen when I think about it. This does not seem to be getting any better (in fact some days it seems worse) and it's just killing me that I can't jump in and do the new Intensity Series!

Has this ever happened to anyone? And if so, what is the course of treatment that helped with this? I have a doctor's appointment in early January, but was wondering if there was anything I could be doing to help this along? Thanks for your help! You all are so amazing!

Could it be you need to stretch it more as I know mine were always tight especially wiht lots of step workouts definitely go to the Dr. I am not one I am like you a lurker who finally jumped in at work tonight since I had some free time 12 hour nights can get a little long. Also I have a ? for you what is the tank top rotation thinking about getting a jump on thta this year.If you could post it for me I would be grateful. Hope you feel better
Lisa

Hi LAEnggren:
Thanks for the reply... I think the Dr. is inevitable (and probably some big shots with long needles) but I would like to avoid that if possible...

Marlene123's Tank Top Arms Rotation is:
Day#1: Pure Strength Chest, Back, Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps
Day#2: CTX Leaner Legs
Day#3: CTX Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps plus cardio
Day#4: Cardio
Day#5: MIS
Day#6: Cardio
Day#7: Cardio or rest

I also included yoga and/or Pilates into this rotation. It's intense, but I really noticed a huge difference in definition!

You can also go to www.videofanatics.com. They have a gazillion rotations and they are all amazing!

HI!
Sorry to hear about your pain. I'm a physical therapist and know that muscle strains can take quite a bit of time to heal. I'm wondering if what you have is really a hip flexor strain, though. What specific motions were you doing prior to the onset of the pain? Did you have one specific instance where you forcefully flexed the hip and felt immediate pain? Is it painful with passive flexion, ie, when you go from standing to sitting?

The reason I ask is that what you have may not be a hip flexor strain--anterior hip pain can be caused by several things. The first thing that pops into my mind is a capsular irritation. I don't see hip flexor strains in many people other than kicking athletes or runners, but I see a lot of anterior hip pain in fitness enthusiasts due to capsular irritation or impingement.

Hopefully your doc will do a thorough hands-on evaluation and determine whether it is a true hip flexor strain or something else. To effectively address the pain, you will have to find the cause.

E-mail me if I can help.
Maribeth

Thanks, Maribeth. I've sent you an email with some specifics. I suspect I will be putting my "Kick it Up a Notch" New Year's resolution on hold for awhile! :)

Hip flexors are the work horses of the leg and you can pull them. See your doctor if it doesn't improve soon. Rest, stretching and ice work great too. Also keep in mind pulling a muscle can be the result of other muscles that are weak. Is your hip flexor picking up the slack from aother weak leg muscle? The reason I suggest it is I pull my groin muscle when my quad to hamstring ratios get imbalanced.

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

Thanks, Bobbi.

I think this may have all started with a strained lower back (done while most undoubtedly using improper form on dead lifts!) It just took off from there, so you're probably right. I'm headin' to the freezer for a bag of ice as I write...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.