Powerlifting ..Veggies....Pizza

cinza

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-01 AT 12:00PM (Est)[/font][p]
i was at a farmers market and my friend, Tony, who works at a community vegetable booth selling veggies on saturdays pointed out a woman in the next booth...
"LOOK at her physique!!"
I looked..
she was wearing a top with skinny straps and pants that did not make it to her waist...so it was pretty easy to look at her physique.

when i finally got past looking at her tush which made me think she was about 16 (and made me annoyed that my friend was pointing it out)

I saw her chest, her shoulders, arms, her back (as well as her backside)... were amazing.

She looked like a competing weighlifter.. her breasts were left over patches somewhere south of her detailed chest muscles...like you see on women lifters with very low body fat.

When i got to looking at her face, I saw she was around 40 ...
so i did not think her physique could be a naturally occurring phenomena...

My friend told me she farmed and got that way from farming...

I said:

"NO WAY !!!......... That woman lifts seriously.. .I KNOW what bodybuilding women look like... :)
Look around, no other farming women look like that... I have worked on farms......etc. etc. bla bla bla..."

My friend is really mathematician and a computer geek when he is not helping out at the farmers market ... He doesnt know a thing about lifting anything but a books and quarts of Ben and Jerrys.

So, the total know it all.. confident in his naivity,
made a bet that she worked out seriously...
he bet she got the body working on her farm......

We agreed on Pizza.

I got an email from him last night...
HE WRITES:
<<<<i won the bet -- you owe me pizza. i've asked her and said that her body development is due to farming.
If you want proof, she said, you can go to her
farm and she'll put you to work for a day.>>>

Put me to work for a day!!??
COOL!!
I will take that as free day with a personal trainer in the country!
Anybody want to come power lift some veggies with me?

Pizza afterwards!

By the way
I'm buying!! :)

All I can say is "WOW"! I grew up around farming families and I've never seen a woman or man develop those kind of muscles working on a farm. They're strong and it shows in their arms but they don't have that really defined look of lifters. Anyway....this is an amusing story and I hope you enjoy the pizza. LOL

Cindy

I am very surprised as well. My husband cuts hay in the summer and is very strong from lifting and throwing 40 lb bales of hay, but he does not have a weightlifter's body. He looks more like Praxiteles' young Apollo, lean and muscled but not developed. My older son definitely looks more like statues of Hercules--but he works at it down at the weight room. My husband always teases him about his reluctance to help with haying and his eagerness to spend 90 minutes a day working out with weights. Couldn't he be just as strong lifting hay bales? Probably--but he wouldn't have such a mean looking bod.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-01 AT 03:49PM (Est)[/font][p]You know...it was very manic and impulsive of me... but as i was leaving the farmers market yesterday i saw a woman from my gym who was a serious lifter and hauled her over to check out the woman in question..

after watching her out from a distance, my friend thought this lady looked like she was lifting ...

but..
one Pizza says i am wrong!!!

vegetarian, no fat, meat or cheese please!!

my poor buddy is going to be sorry the day he bet me a Pizza---- and won!!

I'm sure she is gifted with good genetics, too. Personally, I'd rather lift weights!!!!

I have a friend that looks fantastic and she's never lifted a dumbbell or done a video. Last time I talked to her she'd never seen a video! She's a PE teacher. She's always done body weight exercises, she plays softball in summer, basketball in winter, she in-line skates or runs for the fun of it...you get the picture. About 20 years ago she told me she got better abs with push-ups than she ever got with sit-ups. I think we were still doing sit-ups then. She doesn't have the body of a hardcore lifter. She's more like Cathe. Whatever works, right? This won't help with the pizza...I'd like extra peppers please.

Linda

maybe!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-01 AT 06:48PM (Est)[/font][p]ah...a nice lighthearted thread...(thanks cinza!)

Anyway, depending on genetics, I do think it could be possible. My BF in university was a dairy farmer and really his body was like Michaelangelo's David. He did also play hockey and softball, but didn't lift, except 75 lb hay bales on a regular basis. I jst saw him this summer (20 years later) and he still looks good!

As for women, I have a friend who runs, but doesn't lift, and her upper body is amazing. She says she's always been that way and remembers being teased as a little girl for her muscular arms. Right now the most she does for upper body is handle cattle, but if she was lifting bales etc, look out! In fact I saw her this morning at church, and when I hugged her thought "man! she's solid!"

So, I do think your friend may have earned his pizza :D

Sophie

My stepmother was always quite lean and muscular--mainly from being a housepainter and "Jack of all trades" with my dad (and, I'm sure, because of genetics). Somehow, doing that much "work" to get a body like that doesn't appeal to me, but workout out does (but I consider that more like play)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.