posterior chain

Justinef

Cathlete
Does anyone know of any good posterior chain workout dvds? Ideally a Cathe premix :p, but, failing that, anyone decent. I know which individual exercises are the best, but I'm much better at following a dvd (ie I don't just give up halfway through!)
Thanks

Justine:

it occurs to me that there may be different ways to achieve what you are seeking. Not having a better answer for you than the one I previously gave has been bugging me!

I currently have excellent definition in the back, shoulders and obliques. I'll tell you how I got it. Maybe there's something there for you?

I got achilles tendonitis and elbow tendonitis at exactly the same time in May of this year. Double drat: I was incensed, how dare my body betray me?!! So, I had to make changes to the way I was working out. My dual plans to focus on both running and STS for the summer had to be ditched. We must remain flexible, right? I had to avoid heavy weights for the arms, and strictly no jumping. So, how to work on cardiovascular endurance and muscular definition and maintain that healthy metabolism?

I couldn't even do my customary power walks until 3 weeks ago, so I decided to go the metabolic workout route: i.e., use weights to provide my cardio and muscular conditioning. Hence, I have been doing my KCM mash-ups that I have spoken about before, basically taking 4 premixes from 4 different KCM DVDs and blending them together into 1 long session that does it all. I use the weights only premixes from Kelly's 30 MTF Step Boxing, 30 MTF Boot Camp, (the whole of) Powersculpt and finally from 30 MTF Circuit Burn.

I now have better definition in shoulders, back and obliques, and I have been doing this mash up once per week since May. It's a 2 hour bend of compound exercises with little breaks in between because Kelly packs a lot into 30 mins. But, her moves for back are usually explosive in nature and while she uses only dumbbells, I have always used either 15s, 17.5s or 20s on all these exercises. This is equal to or more than Kelly herself uses on the same exercises, and the results are in. So, this seems to produce better results for me than traditional splits, partly because the moves are explosive for back, but also because when doing compound moves, you tend to sneak work in for muscle groups you didn't know you were using! So, extra work gets done for most muscle groups than you might get done in a traditional splits workout. And, maybe, it's also the "change it up" factor at work here and the body responding to something new?

As for the butt portion of the posterior chain... Well, I currently have a bigger, more muscled, more rounded, steelier (can I just make that a word?) butt than I previously had. I am still getting used to this new development. I am a 5' 8" ectomorph and have had a flat butt most of my life, thanks to a previous attachment to heavy, steady state cardio and running. However, two things have effected this change: an emphasis on powerwalking rather than running, and these compound weights workouts. I don't do much in the way of either HiiT or plyo, so it's not that at work. The powerwalking produces the kind of muscle development in all three glutes muscles that women turn to barre work to achieve (fast walking at a 4.7-5 mph clip hitting as many hills as possible in 2 hours). I don't do barre much at all, no need really! When I flex my leg behind me in a ballet attitude, the muscle is taut and the definition is obvious from the hamstring through the gluteus minimus , through the entire hip area, and up through the back and obliques.

So, this is not me boasting, I must hasten to add, because, heavens above (!), I am not the proud possessor of the perfect physique and I know you can lift way more than me! After all, I am a ruler shape with little waist definition and no boobage to speak of..... But this is just testimony of what seems to work for me, right now. Maybe there is something you can take from it?

I don't think the answer lies in any one DVD in particular (short answer). Rather, it lies in experimentation and a combination of different techniques, both cardio and weight oriented.

Does this help at all?

Clare

So, these are the changes I have experienced in the posterior chain, for this my body type, during this year of my (peri-menopausal) life.

Legs & Glutes.

There are probably dozens of Cathes that have exercises good for the posterior chain, and specific ones for your purpose. A little research on that would guide you to the right ones, but overall Legs & Glutes is a goodie.

Clare, thanks for the info! I wanted to clarify. Do you the entire workout from Bootcamp or Powersculpt? And do you mean you do the entire 60 minutes or the entire workout of one of the 30 minute workouts?? Not sure I'm reading it right. Thanks again!

Clare, thanks for the info! I wanted to clarify. Do you the entire workout from Bootcamp or Powersculpt? And do you mean you do the entire 60 minutes or the entire workout of one of the 30 minute workouts?? Not sure I'm reading it right. Thanks again!

Hi Stacy:

I go to the premixes of each DVD and elect the "dumbbells only" or "weights combos only" or "legs and weights only" premix of each one and do them back to back. Powersulpt is a 30 min compound moves workout with no cardio, so it's the whole of that. I take out all cardio sections and all boxing sections. Do you see? So, it's 20 min premix from one, another 20 min premix from another, the 30 min of Powerscculpt, etc. It's long, so maybe you only want to do 2 or 3 sections of this if you are someone who works out 6 times per week. Me, I only workout 3 , sometimes 4 times, a week, so each session is about 2 hours long. It's what seems to suit me best personality-wise.

Clare

Clare - that's a brilliant help, thank you! I know that I'm quad dominant (like most women) - and that I tend to use my quads rather than my glutes for quite a few exercises. I've also pretty useless hamstrings. I'm hoping that by strengthening the entire chain that I can improve things. Low pulse lunges with the back foot raised are my bete noire.
My lower and mid back will benefit from a few extra sessions too.

I hadn't thought of swimming - something I did quite a bit last year, but then let it drift. Same with walking. I do a lot of fast walking, however my biggest dog was put down recently, and I don't do the distances I used to (my smaller dogs don't need quite as much). I walk quickly - but is that the same as power walking? Is the technique different? I've not a hill for miles around, so it has to be on the flat, I'm afraid. Someone has just given me a cross trainer - perhaps that would work?

I love KCM, and should do more of her dvds. I'm another tall girl, and KCM's moves seem to work for me - the timing is good. I'll try some of your mash-ups. THANK YOU.

Also, 112toGuru, thanks - I'll try Legs and Glutes on Thursday, my next leg day. Haven't done it in a while. I did XTrain Legs today (inc barre and rear delts). I enjoy that one - except for the pizza presses! See, weak glutes :eek:

I'm also going to do more supermans. YUK.

xx

I've heard the book Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body is very good. I am going to order that one soon.

Also, for back,The Foundation book.

STRONG CURVES A Woman's Guide To Building A Better Butt And Body, is a great book. I have done the Gluteal Goddess workout. Highly recommend!

Hi Justine:

Sumo deadlifts: the kind where you are squatting down, barbell on the floor, and you grab it, push the hips back, and stand with it in your hands.

Works the whole posterior chain in one exercise. Do you do these?

Sumo, or with legs just in regular wide squat width. I mention it because I was doing them last night as my ultimate workout finisher and also reading about them in Men's Health today (US version).

Clare

Thanks clare- I do a similar deadlift from one of kcm's workouts. I'll look into it properly later today. Sunday is my day for trying new moves and experimenting a bit (no 'proper' workout).
Legs and glutes was good - definite emphasis on the posterior chain. Also, I have strong curves, and tried to follow it but just got bored. Didn't help that I read an old article by Brett and he came over as a crass sexist pig. Women do not need special instruction on how to load a barbell, we can figure out out for ourselves, thanks all the same Brett.
I'm going to have a week with kettlebells as the focus next week. Thanks for all your suggestions
X

http://cathe.com/with-xtrains-hip-thrust-100-rep-challenge-target-your-glutes-like-never-before.

Before starting a glute session activate the muscle first as it is known as a lazy muscle.

Lower body premix from Total triset (LIS series)
http://shop.cathe.com/Total_Body_Tri_Sets_Workout_DVD_p/912.htm

I have learnt to love rolling the ball with hip elevated and abs engaged.
Nothing fry my hamstrings like this exercise. Now I am enjoying the burn:D:eek:, yes I am...Whenever I go to the gym I add it to my routine and do high reps.

Heavy deadlift, while executing the move both abs and glutes come into play.
I always feel the burn on my glutes.

Squat with heels elevated. To target the glute more go lower.You can place a weight disc or piece of wood under your heels. If you want go further feeling feminine while executing the move wear a pair of high heel...joking:D:D:D

Last but not least plyometrics jumps as a cardio aid to support muscle building.
plyo as part of a short and intense cardio release friendly hormones to build muscle, meaning to add muscle.
If there is no muscle underneath the minimal fat layer, a building process need to be put in place.

All the best,

Last edited:
I didn't mean deadlifts where you keep the barbell in hand the whole time. This stretches the hamstrings and glutes, and it's good but but I don't rate it as highly as the deadlift where you pick the barbell up off the floor from squatting position and stand with it out of the squat with every rep. Rinse and repeat until knackered. (!!!!)

Stiff-legged deadlifts I can do until the cows come home. These other ones, 3 sets of 12 going as heavy as poss, that's good enuf.

Glutes, legs, back (erector spinae), core, etc, etc. It's all in there.

Quote from the article linked below: "The Posterior Chain. The Posterior chain involves the glutes, hamstrings, adductor magnus, and lumbar erectors. Combined, these muscles make up for one of the most important areas, functionally speaking, in any high performance athlete. There is no single exercise out there that better develops and strengthens the posterior chain than the deadlift."

15 Benefits of Deadlifts | Outlaw Fitness

Happy Sunday experimentation day!

Clare

Clare, I see what you mean about the deadlifts! Much harder than the ones I normally do. I can usually deadlift more than my own body weight and it's just my forearms which make me give up. These were much better. (worse?)
It's good that they work more than just glutes- that's what I was aiming for- the entire posterior chain. I also did some kb work. That was just the right effect. This week I'm going for total body weights, including kbs.

Nathalie - thanks for the tips. I always thought heels raised was to increase the contribution from the quads, and that for glutes we should be doing toes raised?
Still, the image of me squatting 130lbs in heels make me smile!

Just a thought for the OP but you might try doing a 2:1 approach with weight training. 2 posterior exercises (pull) to 1 anterior (push) exercise.

Good idea re the push / pull. I did Muscle Max today, and noticed it can be done as a push / pull. Obviously there's also Cathe's Push Pull (I could do pull only, then the whole thing which would still only come to about an hour). KCM has some push / pull pre-mixes as well. Lots for me to work on!! Thanks :D

For some reason my computer is having a bad hair day. Will not let me copy and paste this website. But I found this, thought you all may be interested:

trainheroic.com/11-posterior-chain-exercises/

I know I'm late to the party and this thread is old, but I finally made it.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.