Pockets! grrr....

spyrosmom

Cathlete
I went summer casual dress shopping this afternoon. The good news is I tried on about 20 dresses in my new, smaller size. 1 was too small, a couple were too big :D:D:D, but the rest all fit perfectly. However, who in the heck decided to put pockets in almost all the dresses?? No matter what style. Most of them had either visible cargo-type pockets or slash pockets on the hips (which you can't see when they're on the hanger, btw) I have hips, I have curves, I'm a WOMAN dang it!!! The last thing I need is extra layers of fabric on my hips. There were some really cute sheath type cotton dresses and they all had slash pockets on them, they stick out when you sit, and then the extra layers make a funny look, instead of nice and flat-ish (I'm not flat in that area). And exactly what am I going to use these pockets for? Not like I'm gonna shove my car keys or cell phone in the pocket to creat an extra lovely lump.

I did however, find a very cute dress for only $20 at TJ Maxx. The one that didn't fit was also there, and they didn't have it in any other sizes, which was a shame, bc it was very cute. It was a white eyelet type button down shirt dress. I was doing good til I got to my chest. It just wasn't gonna happen! And I'm not big chested, but I'm kinda broad backed. But, I'd call it successful I found a cute dress and only spent $20!! It's melon and dark brown colored, so with a jacket, I think I could take it into fall as well.

Nan

I wish they would put pockets in women's workout shorts instead! Then I would have a place to keep dog biscuits when I go for walks. Maybe I need to look into jogging dresses instead?

Women's clothing is so ridiculous sometimes! Congrats on being a new, smaller size and on finding something fabulous! :p

Wow! Sounds like fun! I haven't been shopping yet since dropping my weight, but soon!

I'm glad you picked up a good deal! I don't know what's going on with the pocket thing, but I've seen a lot of summer dresses lately like that. As a matter of fact, I saw a young girl in one with slash pockets and even on her it didn't lay right! These designers need to get their heads on straight! Real people aren't Twiggy (if you get the reference, you're my age - I refuse to say the "o" word!)!

I like the sound of the colors in the dress you found, too!

Tricia

I go back-and-forth over the pocket thing. On the one hand, I'm always re-applying lipstick/gloss and need it close by. On the other hand, there's that unsightly bulge.

Every time some fashion expert comes on Oprah (they just had one the other day) and they get on the topic of blue jeans they always say women should have the pockets stitched shut for a smoother line. I suspect women would regret this as soon as they need something they'd ordinarily put in their pocket (the lip stuff again). But they also say we all need to get over the idea that jeans should fit perfectly and just get them to fit the butt and "have the waist altered." Yea, right. That's a job - an expensive one at that. I'm a cheapskate and never pay more than $25 for a pair of jeans (and they fit!) but many women will pay upwards of $200 for a pair; and then to have to pay MORE to have them ALTERED? Please. If you pay $200 they should fit like a glove, right off the rack.

But I know what you mean. After you lose a lot of weight it's so weird to go shopping for stuff you haven't been able to wear for a decade (two, in my case), and find out how much fit has changed (pockets in sundresses at just the wrong spot, super-low-rise jeans = crack problem...). Luckily, I've been able to do a lot of closet shopping. All those years I was fat I acquired all sorts of great stuff for Someday (someday, when I've lost the weight...). A lot of it looks great and it's all paid for :D:p!

Hey Nan! You can cut the pockets off and just sew the opening closed! :) Just an idea! Congrats on your new size!

Stacey- for those of us who are vertically challenged alterations are just a part of life. I'm 5'2" and petite is defined as a person 5'3". Thats an extra inch of fabric on all pants. Also, instead of buying new pants as I got slimmer I just had my suits altered, it was less expensive than buying new for a while. Now, I just wish Mervyn's hadn't gone out of business. And I can barely find real silk here at all anymore. I don't know what happened, did the silk worms go on strike?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.