Peanut Butter

sarahinva

Cathlete
For all of you who eat clean ~ does the regular name-brand peanut butter (Jif, Skippy, etc.) really have an overabundance of sugar? I've read several posts about "natural" peanut butter, but our local grocery store (that includes our Wal Mart too) doesn't sell it. Is this worth tracking down? I'm sure some stores in a nearby city would carry it ~ just wondering if this is a permanent change I should make!
Thanks,
Sarah

It's not just the sugar, it's the transfat in it. You know, "partially hydrogenated". That's not good.

My Walmart does carry an all natural brand (can't remember the name), but I typically buy it at the health food store, because I'm going there anyway for whole, organic oats and other goodies.

If you don't have a health food store or whole foods market where you can buy either fresh peanut butter or organic or natural peanut butter, then buy Laura Scudder's brand Old Fashioned peanut butter. I think it's the best of the big name brand peanut butters. Check the label. The only ingredients you want in your PB are peanuts and maybe some salt, and that's all the Laura Scudders has in it. I also just checked an all natural organic PB that I just bought, and it too only has peanuts and salt. Hope that helps!

:) Nicole

Thanks girls! I'll start shopping around for it! I live in a tiny, tiny town whose grocery stores don't carry much of anything out of the "norm."

I feed my kids Smucker's natural peanut butter. I eat a different one. If you want some peanut butter on "steriods" I eat Peanut Power Butter. It has flax seeds, flax seed oil, honey, egg whites, peanuts and something else. All NATURAL and DELICIOUS! You can go to their website or go to www.bodybuilding.com. Just click on the superstore and type it in. It's worth it.

Lisa

Lisa, thanks for the suggestion. I've been wondering how to power up my Smuckers with more protein. I thought of adding protein powder to it, but that would just change the consistency. I'll definitely get some of these.

Pinky

Trust me, it won't taste good with protien powder on it. I tried it and it made the peanut butter taste bitter a little bit. I don't know why. I eat it on a whole grain toast with a little bit of honey on it. :9

Lisa

"I live in a tiny, tiny town whose grocery stores don't carry much of anything out of the "norm." "

I hear you Sara!!! I live in a tiny town too and even the "big town" that I drive to for shopping has limited options when it comes to the things I look for. I've resorted to getting a lot of things online. Good luck in your search.

I buy Smuckers or Arrowhead mills in the grocery store. I f you have a blender you can make your own. Just buy unsalted peanuts and blend with a little canola healthy oil. I used to do this. It is a little work but is good.
Diane Sue

Arrowhead Mills is so good I just can't rave enough about it. I won't eat anything else. That stuff is divine.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you (my favorite store!), their natural peanut butter is sooooo yummy! I get the salted kind, so it's just peanuts and salt!

It's the trans fat and the sugar that I try to stay away from. I won't feed that junk to my kids. My husband doesn't care, so he can eat whatever he wants. But the kids and I have our own stash, and they prefer the taste of the "real" stuff.

Our Wal-Mart sells the ADAMS Natural Peanut Butter. I enjoy having a tablespoon on an up calorie day. Our local Sam's club had a different kind of organic/natural peanut butter that I got. Only our local Costco carries the large containers of ADAMS, and I don't get there very much.

Since there are Wal-Marts that carry it, could you request that yours does, too? It's worth a try.

Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.