Other instructors -- guilt!!

cheval

Cathlete
I really enjoy Cathe dvds. With the exception of one single lonely dvd (that I haven't done in ages), all my workouts are Cathe. I found her years ago because I wanted advanced step routines.

While I enjoy weights, the STS series isn't appealing to me since it's an all-weight workout. Maybe I'll get there one day, but not now.

So, with no new advanced all-step dvd on the horizon from Cathe, I've been hanging out at Collage Video looking at other step instructors and checking which dvds I can preview using NetFlix (a lot, actually).

I feel like I'm cheating on Cathe!! ;( Anybody else ever feel that way?

April

Hi April,

I never feel that way because, although I LOVE Cathe, variety is the spice of life. And we're talking exercise here, not monogamous relationships... :p

April - as I do a lot of other things, like cycling and running, I use other instructors a lot (Coach Troy, Coach Sean, iTreads, iClimbs...). I even did a P90X rotation for 13 weeks, although I used Cathe as a sub for Kenpo X and Plyo X a lot. So, no, I don't feel guilty, especially as one person really cannot do it all and I don't expect Cathe to. But, I can absolutely tell you that after my P90X rotation, I did a circuit rotation using all Cathe workouts and it was liking coming home after being away for a while.

What are you...my Catholic Grandmother...;-) :7 She was ALL about the guilt.... April, honey....lose the guilt, order some Christie Taylor, Gin Miller, Charlene Prickett's Crazy for Step or whatever appeals to you. Step your little heart out and enjoy, Cathe'll be there when you need her!!!!

Take Care
Laurie:)

Thanks, ladies, I guess because for the last 5 or 6 years all my dvds were Cathe, I just feel a little weird branching out.

Over the years I've been building my Cathe library, so have gotten "new" dvds every so often. However, with my recent purchase of 4DS and High Step Circuit, I think I've finally gotten every Cathe dvd that I'm interested in.

I guess I can look at it this way. While I've been concentrating on Cathe stuff, lots of "new comers" have cropped up that I now get to try! When I found Cathe, most of the instructors I'm looking at weren't around. ;)

April

May I give you some suggestions to help ease you guilt?
Step:
Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge and Advanced Step Challenge 2 for fun, complex step! (These are my top picks)

Tracey Staehle's High Intensity Step Mix for another fun, more complex step cardio.

Gay Gasper's All Out Step Infused Workout - the BEST music out there and fun choreography!

Nekea Brown's Amazing Hot Stepping for an easier step workout with fun latin music. I do this on an 8 in. step to get more of a workout but it is sooo enjoyable and good for those lower energy days, yet I realize I'm working harder than I think.

For super fun hi/lo:
Amy Bento's HiLo Dome Challenge....super fun with a great little bosu workout as a separate chapter all together. Great music and fun choreography. Intense but not wipe out intense and easy to modify the intensity up or down!

Amy Bento's HiLo Extreme - fun but a bit more complex choreography. I was able to pick up HiLo Dome Challenge a lot faster than HiLo Extreme, but this one is worth learning!

Amy Bento's Kickbox Extreme if fun kickbox with a hi/lo flare. Again, GREAT music....very motivating with some tricky combo's but worth having or trying out!

Kickboxing:
Kimberly Spreen's Absolute Kickboxing is total fun. Great music, fun combo's, very good instruction. This one uses a body bar, works the core nicely, and has a nice, long stretch.

For fun cardio based circuits:
Sharon Twombly's All Body Attack and All Body Cardio. This is fun, athletic step alternated with weight work. All Body Attack is my favorite of the two...again, great music!

Short Cardio Followed by Short Weight training segment with functional twist:
Amy Bento's All Pump Step and All Pump Hi/Lo...great for days you want to get it all done in under one hour but have fun at the same time!

That should get you started and NO guilt...have fun!!!

Edited to add Kelly Coffey Meyer's Step Boxing workouts...VERY fun!

Angela:7

I can understand the guilt because when I first discovered Cathe I was ready to dump everything else (and did dump quite a bit) and I bought everything she has out. Then I recently realized that I don't even use some of her workouts and have even considered selling them (gasp...talk about guilt) and I've enjoyed some other instructors--some of the same ones Angela likes--Amy Bento, Tracey Staehle, and Kimberly Spreen.

I've also found that maybe I'm done owning every workout an instructor does, even Cathe, because not everything she makes is necessarily perfect for me, even if she's the perfect instructor in general. I have had a bad habit of finding someone I like and snapping up all their stuff (much to my thrifty husband's chagrin). Then I realize I'm wasting space with some of those workouts. OK, but that's a tangent. The point is, don't be afraid to try someone else; Cathe can still be your #1!

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif

>>For some reason I read this as Other Instructors - Quilt
>and
>>was very confused.
>I actually saw it that way at first, too!
>
>[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
>My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/
>http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif [/font]

Me three!!

Back to the topic at hand -- I don't limit myself to Cathe but I'm just the opposite of you -- I can't do Cathe's cardio to save myself, but I love her weight training workouts. I don't like step or kickbox, probably because I'm not good at either one of them, so I use Cardio Coach and walking workouts to fill in my cardio gap. When it comes to weight lifting -- Cathe is my first choice, but even here I occasionally like to mix it up with other instructors. It's good to mix it up a little :)

>I feel like I'm cheating on Cathe!! ;( Anybody else ever feel
>that way?

Absolutely not!

I may have more Cathe workouts, and workout with her more often than with any other single instructor, but she is just one of 'my'instructors.

I like variety, and sticking with any one instructor, no matter how good they are, just doesn't work for me.

Thanks, Angela. Those are some great suggestions. Nekea Brown is one I hadn't heard of and I liked the preview from Collage.

I have lots of step workouts in my NetFlix queue now. Some (like Tracy and Nekea), I'll just have to try out and return if I don't like, but NF should keep me busy for the next little bit. I've got several different instructors I can try out for just the cost of my NF subscription.

Thanks,
April

Me four! (quilt)
It's because the underline on the topic list page cuts off all the "g"s at their tails, so they all look like "q"s.

Well, I really do feel that way. I just started BBC and while I can feel results, I felt bad about giving up Cathe for awhile; and that is pretty lame. Even my DH picked up on it and said to get over it. However - haha - I still snuck in BM2 this weekend when DH went to watch the Browns/Steelers game. hee hee.
Clarissa ;)

Hi April! Heck no I don't have any guilt at all! Variety is the key. Besides Cathe doesn't mind.;) You might want to try Tracey Staehle's step routines. If you enjoy complex choreo she's one of the best! I bought her new High Intensity Step Mix 2 & can't wait to try it. Her website is fitbytracey.

HTH, Kathy:D

If I am not mistaken(and I could be because the half century mark is quickly approaching), wasn't there "an other" instructor who is a fav of the Catheites at one of her Road Trips?

Talk about a great way to compliment each other as peers !

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.