Osteoarthritis

Fitness-Mom

Cathlete
I was curious to see who suffers from Orthoarthritis?

I was told by my Orthopedic in early June that I was showing "small" signs. Since seeing him over the summer, my knee has not gotten any better, maybe even worse. I still have flare ups & swelling every week, if not everyday! I am unable to do any of my step workouts or high impact workouts. Once I think my knee is feeling better, I pull out a DVD, and within 5 minutes the pain starts again. As you can tell, I am starting to get very frustrated! :(:( I'm only 36 and I can't believe I am having problems already! Grrrrr!! x(

I am told by my co-workers and Friends to wear my knee brace ALL THE TIME, even when I am not working out. I don't feel I should have to do this. What are your thoughts?

What helps you, what type of exercising are you doing?

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif

RE: Orthoarthritis?

I had a hip replacement last July and I am only 41!:) Not sure what the difference between orthroarthritis and osteoarthritis is? I had the latter. Frankly, nothing really worked for mine, I would ice after workouts, take my meds for it and glucosamine, etc....so I guess I am not offering any really good advice, just that I understand!
Exercise is good for us, but in my case all those years of pounding my body took its toll. Plus some of this can be genetics.

Just make sure to give your knee the rest it needs and find activities that don't aggravate.:)

Thanks ~ Tneah.

You are correct, it is Osteoarthritis, don't ask me where I got Ortho...LOL :)

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif

What works for me is a cortisone shot every three months or so when my one knee starts really bothering me. I take as much impact as possible out of my step workouts, and never go above 6 inches. You might also try the glucosamine-chondroitin supplements, which worked for me in my 50s pretty well. I still take them, but for the last few years, the only fix for me has been the cortisone.

I went for one hip replacement 2 years ago, now the other side is "crying" for attention... getting old stinks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.