one leg thicker than the other

angelli

Hi,
Due to some knee surgical intervention one leg is less exercised than the other. Now the healthy leg is more toned,the other has more cellulite and the jeans dont fit me properly, I feel them more stretched on the thicker leg. Help, what should I do? I am on butts and gutts DVD and I hope I will equalize my legs, should I use different weights? Should I stop working my thicker leg?

If your good leg is the one that is thicker from muscle then perhaps you could lighten up the weights on that one for a while and go as heavy as possible on the other leg. Gradually increase the weight on the good leg to catch up to the other leg as you see the other leg improving.

Hi angelli,

I had ACL surgery last year and know what your talking about in terms of less muscle tone, decreased strength, etc.

I would NOT recommend decreasing strength work on the "good" leg. That'll just give you two weaker legs. I would definitely do more single legged leg work like one-legged squats, walking lunges, plyo-lunges, step-ups, etc. You may have to lighten up weights on the bad leg, but still go as heavy as you can with it (maintain good form). You GOTTA work that weaker leg.

During my rehab, I noticed the biggest jump in increased strength when I started adding in plyometric exercises like box jumps and explosive step ups on a box.

If I remember correctly, Legs and Glutes had a good amount of single legged exercises in it.

The strength in your legs developed by doing a lot of different things over a long time, so it's going to take a while, years possibly, to get that strength back.

I am right there with ya! I am still working on getting my legs equal from hobbling around years ago after ACL surgery.

Then hip arthritis had me hobbling around for years, so my muscular development is slightly uneven in my calves, thighs and buttocks.

I do not do single leg exercises-well, sometimes, I just plug away trying to lift the heaviest weights possible for lower body. Currently, I am doing heavy leg presses and they seem to be working. My legs are getting firmer and more balanced. Leg presses at the gym by the way, not Cathe style! Although I do those too.}(

Me too! I had ACL surgery in 1999 and my operated leg is still 1" less in circumference than my "good" leg. The difference used to be 2" so I'm happy with the improvement. I lift as heavy as I can for both legs, and sometimes (but not as often as I should) do extra reps for the operated leg. The visual difference isn't noticeable to anyone but me anymore, and I am pretty satisfied with the strength in both legs.

Wow, I'm so happy I'm not alone in this! I had ACL reconstruction 19 months ago and there's still about a half inch difference in my thighs. My "good leg" actually looks less toned than my injured one, lol. I think I worked it so hard trying to balance them out!

I'm the only one who can see the difference anymore but it's still there. I was told it could take years to get them balanced again. I've found that running has helped alot. It forces you to think about each stride and putting equal force on each leg to not limp or be off balance.

Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.