Omgoodness! Early Peri-Menopause?

martijean1

Cathlete
My diet hasn't changed. No change in BC (condoms, sorry, TMI)...Longer cycles, SUPER heavy for a year, now lighter. We actually had a pregnancy scare last month (without an "oopsie", just late). Late 30's. Could it be? My mom and grandmother were through menopause by their early 40's. Looking back? I think I've been having mild hot flashes, and I am the ice queen!

I think when your mother and grandmother went through menopause is a good predictor of when you will. My mother was in menopause by 40. So was my older sister. I was in visible peri by 40 and had no periods by 45. I am now 47. It's possible. It took me two years to figure it out. When I finally did, my solution to peri/menopause was bio-identical progesterone. There has been a lot of talk on here about this stage of life. It comes early for some of us and I find women just don't talk about it openly enough. I wish you minimal symptoms!

I think when your mother and grandmother went through menopause is a good predictor of when you will.

My gynecologist gave me this exact response when I asked her last year. I thought that the age when you got your first period was the predictor, but it is genetics. If you are trying to conceive it's time to visit your doctor asap. And if it is in fact perimenopause, your doctor can also help you ease into this stage of your life. I suffer from a severe form of PMDD and I've gotten night sweats since I was a teenager, I know they are similar to hot flashes and they are not fun. Like CeciFifi mentioned I also wish you minimal symptoms.

As the others have said - check with your OB GYN. I too have suffered with peri menopausal symptoms at the age of 34 (thankfully was done with child birth by then). I am now 44 with daily progesterone and estrogen needs - without these meds i would be in hot flashes constantly with many mood swings! You need blood tests to confirm, and if needed, meds. However, I have friends that can handle their symtpoms with OTC meds. I unfortunately could not! Good luck!! And fyi - my body has changed dramatically since this as well (fat storage changes, skin problems, and wt loss challenges)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.