OMG!!! FIRE in my living room!!

jdoll

Cathlete
ya'll! i was in the office on my computer this morning with the door closed. i had left some candles burning on the coffee table in the living room. I heard a "pop" and thought something had fallen off the xmas tree. i open the door, got slapped in the face with smoke and find my coffee table on FIRE!!! It was like slow motion. I put my coffee mug and plate down, took all the pics off the table and went to get the fire exstinguisher(which i JUST got last month!). I had never used on before. I finally figured it out and put out the fire. There was melted wax and plastic from xmas deco stuff all over the antique cherrywood x( . I spent the next several hours with the iron,a spatula and LOTS of towles getting the wax off. Every thing was coated in white stuff from the exstinguisher BUT aside from the center piece,nothing was ruined. After it was all cleaned up, i just sat there in awe thanking my stars that i had gotten that exstiguisher and imaginging how horrible it could have been! What a mess!~!!!

jes:eek: :-(

p.s. YES! i learned my lesson!;-)

I've read that candles are one of the primary causes of house fires, and I NEVER burn them unless I have a power outage, and then only when I'm in the same room.
Just Do It! :)

Jes ~
Thank God it wasn't worse than it was! I am buying a fire extinguisher tomorrow. You never know!

I'm glad your fire was relatively minor and that you were prepared and composed enough to put the fire out.

Everyone, please be careful with all the holiday lights, candles, space heaters, wood-burning stoves, fireplaces, etc.!

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...embrace it...don't fear it." - Cathe Friedrich

OMG, JES! How scary! I'm so glad you're okay and that it didn't end up being more serious. This is definitely a great reminder to everyone about safe burning of candles, and of making sure you all have working fire extinguishers in your homes.

THANK GOD! That could have been a total disaster Jes! Thank goodness everything turned out ok. You must've been freaking out! Glad you and your house are safe.

Kali

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-retro/cartoonblob01/lb/175/130/143/.png[/img] [/url]

www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

Goodness, Jes! I'm SO glad you're okay and that nothing else was burned except for your centerpiece. Good thing you heard a pop since you were in your office with the door closed.

I have candles all over the house this season. But I haven't lit any because you know I have this hyperactive 5-year-old with curious hands.;-)

Pinky

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How totally scary and I'm SO GLAD YOU ARE OKAY!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jes,

I'm so glad that you are alright. This was a good reminder to everyone on several levels. Good work keeping your head.

Thanks for sharing,
jordan

Jes,
It could have been so much worse. But I have to tell you, you could have just posted a gentle note about candle safety and not scared the crap out of us! Honestly, I do need to be more careful when lighting candles because I have been guilty of leaving them unattended.

Thank God nothing happened to you or your precious pups. An angel must have been watching over you.:)

Oh Jes, thank goodness it turned out the way it did! I'm glad you are okay and nothing was ruined! PHEW! I love candles and do tend to burn them when I am not in the same room but you just never know what will happen....scarey!

They have those wickless candles now that you set on a hot plate type thing to melt the wax and release the scent...I wonder if that is TRULY any safer or if that hot plate is capable of catching fire or starting one...plus that's got to be kind of a bummer...not only do I like the smell, but I also like the look of a burning candle. It's just so darn pretty!:+

I'm so glad you're okay, Jes! I can't imagine the horror you must have felt when you discovered the fire--and that was some pretty fast thinking! I can tell you this much--I'm getting a fire extinguisher!

Michele

jes, how frightening! I'm so glad you are alright and it wasn't more serious. It's a good thing you heard the pop. Please be careful with your very valuable self.

Thanks ladies:) i am going to get more exstinguishers today and DUH!!...it occurred to me last night that my fire alarm never went off!:eek: i could have been aware of it sooner. I guess the battery is dead. That's on the list too!!

jes;-)

Jes - so glad you are okay and that there wasn't extensive damage. Dh LOVES candles and I always worry because he'll light them and put them where I don't see them (top of the entertainment center or bookshelves) and go to bed without turning them off! :eek: I'm going to tell him about this so he'll realize what could really happen!

Again, thank God you are safe!

Oh my gosh, Jes! I bet you kissed that fire extinguisher after it put out that fire! How scary it was for you! It's a good thing that you were calm and were thinking properly. I don't even want to think the extent of damage that could have occurred if you did not have that fire extinguisher nearby.

Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.