Okay Enablers...

HipChick

Cathlete
I bought 2 kettlebells yesterday, 15- & 20-pounds, along with 2 DVDs, Iron Core Kettle Bell Vols. 1 & 2. I tried them out last night & did my first full workout this morning using the 15-pounder & I loved it! Now I'm wondering what other workouts or books I should get? What do all you kettlebell fans out there do? Do you follow a book or use DVDs or what? Any advice anyone can offer would be great!

>I am sooooooo not reading any more about kettlebells, which
> (so far) I don't own. La la la la la la la la........... ;-)

Ditto that! *sticks fingers in ears* I can't hear you, I can't hear you, I can't hear you!

I also just did the Iron Core Vol 1 this morning. A friend lent me her new kettlebell and DVD for ONE day only. She has finally found something she loves. I liked the w/o alot when I got into the second circuit. I found the DVD somewhat boring--lack of music, deadpan instructions but it felt good. I don't know about actually buying these as I preordered STS and I don't know where KBs would fit in. I guess I felt I needed to do it a few more times but it is going home today.

Kathy & Evily - Awww, c'mon... you KNOW resistance is futile!}( I tried to resist too & was actually (surprisingly) successful for a long time. But I finally gave in... as usual!:p :7

Phyllis - I agree with you about these particular DVDs, which is why I posed this question. I really enjoyed the workout, though. During the first circuit, I started wondering if I was going to have a good workout or not but after starting the second one, I was sweating, having a lot of fun, & I knew I was in for something good.:D

I'm with Emily and Kathy on this one.......fingers in ears!!!

I've been holding out for serval long weeks now....

I

CAN

WAIT

ANOTHER

WEEK!

Gayle

The new DVD by Anthony Diluglio and some soap opera chick is great. It's a redo of his popular "Providence" workout, with an added section that teaches each move. You can get it at www.artofstrength.com (Anthony's site), where you can also peruse a lot of KB info (including useful clips teaching moves). The DVD has been on sale for $10 less than what it will eventually be (since KB DVD's are notoriously expensive---Sarah Lurie's 2 are an exception, if you buy thrm from Target---that's a good deal).

Lisa Shaffer's book/DVD combo are good for learning:
http://www.amazon.com/Shape-Complet...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209404171&sr=1-3

They are also offered on her site: www.nofearfitness.com

There's is also an except from her book somewhere online. It makes an excellent tutorial for learning, and offers a suggested progression for workouts.

Pavel Tsatsouline (sp?), the "big cheese" of kettlebells (he introduced them into the US) suggests in some of his books just doing swings and Turkish Get-ups for a while. That combo makes a bare-bones, basic program that gives you many of the skills you need for other moves.

Some other ways to use kettlebells:
You throw in sets of swings (10-20 swings) in other workouts.

Do swings several times a week, giving yourself a target rep goal (say, 50), and stopping and resting as many times as necessary, for as many 'sets' as necessary to get the entire count. Don't go to failure (Pavel recommends always 'practicing' with KB's, and never going to failure on any sets.)

HTH!

Kathryn has given you some great information. I happened to get hands-on training but I do have Lisa Shaffer's book and it is wonderful in terms of instruction and form.

I love the Providence dvd from Art of Strength as well as Newport which is also from Art of Strength.

I have been working out with a friend 2 days a week and most of the workouts we have been doing include kettlebells. I get many of the workouts from crossfit and adapt them to our skill level. It's lots of fun. We workout in a park and get lots of strange and curious looks.

Be prepared to get addicted. Kettlebells are wonderful workout tools. There are lots of ways to incorporate them into your workouts.

Kathryn - Thank you! I looked at the sites for the links you provided. Kettlebell DVDs are typically very expensive, though, aren't they? I guess maybe that's because kettlebell DVDs are still a relatively new concept & there really aren't many available right now. I did end up getting the 2 Sarah Lurie DVDs for only $12.98 each at Dick's, though. Thanks again for all the useful information.

Jane - Thanks for your comments too. Art of Strength comes highly recommended. Do you use those DVDs often or do you find yourself doing "your own thing" more often? LOL about the strange & curious looks you get when working out with kettlebells in the park. I can't imagine what people must think when they see that. I really enjoyed my first experience with them so I can see how easy it is to become addicted. Thanks again!

I also found a DVD called The Kettlebell Goddess Workout on a site called Dragondoor. Do either of you (or anyone else) know anything about it? It looks like it might be pretty good & it's only $29.95 but a video preview isn't provided on the site. Here is a link:
http://www.dragondoor.com/dv040.html?kbid=3543

Kel,

I have the Kettlebell Goddess Workout. It was the first kettlebell workout that I got and although it is a good workout, with lots of mix and match options, I prefer the Art of Strength DVDs. The Providence DVD has 15 2-minute rounds with a 1-minute rest in between and it moves really quickly. Because I'm working out with a friend and the weather is nice, I'm doing "my own thing" more often right now. I think I mentioned that I go to the crossfit website often and find workouts and tailor them to my level. For instance, I eliminate the snatch because I'm not very good at it and end up banging my wrists so I usually insert something else. I find my favorite workouts on the affiliate site under the "Jersey Shore" crossfit. They have lots of cool workouts. My workout partner hates me (in a good way) when I email our workouts for that day!!

http://www.crossfit.com/

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.