Non-traditional ab exercises?

hokypoky

Cathlete
In relation to Rebecca's post below about parts you don't like to work on, I'm trying to find a way to at least work my abs somewhat. I think if my abs were stronger, I wouldn't hate working them as much. I don't mind doing planks or knee-smashes ... I was wondering what other exercises work the core? x(

I just can't stand bicycles and those types of exercises. Thanks for any ideas ......

I think Tae Bo is one of the best things for abs. The original Tae Bo has both traditional and non-traditional movements -- Get Ripped has a lot of movements that work the abs well.

one of my favorite ab exercises is to lay on a decline bench with just the top half of my back on the bench(kinda like with pullovers for lats) relax my legs as much as possible and just using my ab muscles raise and lower my hips making sure to keep tension on the ab muscles on the contraction and the release. it doesn't sound that difficult but after just a few reps it really starts to burn!

have a healthy day!;)
ps i also hold onto the bench just above my head for stability.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I haven't tried TaeBo yet - I'll check that out.

Green Woman - when you lift your legs are they straight or bent? I'll add this exercise to my list. Thanks!

I like to go to the park with DD and hang upside down off the climber, with my legs hooked through, and do curls. True story.

I second pilates. It's really all core work & it makes ab workouts so much more fun. There is a tremendous number of good pilates DVDs out there. I'm just getting started & I'm definitely enjoying it.

>I like to go to the park with DD and hang upside down off the
>climber, with my legs hooked through, and do curls. True
>story.

Do the other mommies give you funny looks? LOL!

I bet all the other kids are like "Whoah - that girl's mom is COOL!" ;)

Emily - I do get funny looks sometimes, but I don't really care:p And the other kids know not to mess with my kid}(

Shelley,

I always loved going to the park with my girls (they are 20 and 22 now). I always played on all the equipment too. In fact, the other day I was walking, saw some swings and went swinging. I miss it and I love to swing. I think if more adults played they would have a lot less stress.

Joanne

Joanne - I can't go on the swings, because I get severely motion sick, but I go on everything else. Slides, climbers, spinning things, bouncing things. It's awesome! And the kids love it when their parents get right in there and play.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.