Night workouts?

LizC7

Cathlete
Hi Everyone
If I had a choice, I would work out in the morning. I have my own business and work from home with my kids so I end up staying up until 2 in the morning sometimes (sometimes later) to get work done. My schedule changes every day so the only time I can have a set work out time is at night. 10-11 seems like the best although sometimes it can be earlier. Does anyone else work out late?

Thanks!
Liz

I have been having trouble with my neighbours this year. They have people round all the time, make a hell of a racket and never shut up until after 4 am. So, it became senseless going to bed earlier than them and lying there listening to all their noise and getting angry because I cannot sleep. So I stayed up to work out from 11 pm onwards, and I am much happier doing this, avoiding all that anger. I lift weights for several hours and only go to bed once they shut the hell up, anytime from 4 am onwards. It sounds odd I know, but until the lease is up for these people, I have to do what works for me. Sounds like you do too.

Clare

Clare,
If I remember correctly, you have small children, right? How do you manage to get enough sleep if you go to bed after 4am? Are you able to sleep in?

For all you who do night workouts, I applaud you. If my workout isn't done before dinner, it's not gettin' done at all!! It's easier for me to get up at 4:30am to workout (oddly enough that's just when Clare is going to bed!) than to workout late at night. I am pretty much dead to the world by 9pm--even if I didn't get up to workout in the morning. I am definetely NOT a night owl!! :)

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Thank you both - with my first son I got up at 4:30am to go to work, now it seems that's when I go to bed sometimes! Sometimes you just don't have a choice. I guess no matter when I get to work out, I'm happy so long as I can squeeze it in.

i'm trying to workout later in the day as well but not that late. for the past few years i have been getting up at 5. well for the past few years of doing this i'm now getting anxiety about getting to sleep at a certain time b/c i have to get up so early to workout. i'm hoping workout out later in the day, between 5 and 7, will calm these thoughts that keep me awake and i will get a better nights sleep. the bottom line is no matter what time you workout, morning, afternoon, or night, you have to make time to do it so just do it:D

I love working out late, for some odd reason. I am an early bird (which is weird to workout late) but, I like to do other things in the morning.

I feel it is great alone-time at night...it is great way to release all the stress from the day.

i workout at 8 pm or 9. after work i take almost an hour nap,eat,rest an hour then workout. everytime i move to an apartment i make sure i live on the first floor or above a garage.

laura

I w/o late, usually any where between 6-9pm. I play soccer some nights late too. Like tonight, my game doesn't start until 10pm (YUCK!)(indoor). I am not a morning person, though I am up early for work.

Same as you, my schedule changes (DH & I have our own business), so I end up going with what ever works. It is a little easier for me though, since we don't have children. Like you, I have to sometimes finish work stuff after a w/o. When, I'm w/o I try to not think of anything else, its MY HOUR :)

ALicia:)

Allison:

actually my kids are growing faster than you think! I have an 11 and 14 year old daughters. I have recently been staying up to get them off to school, or I go to bed at 4 am, then get back up at 7 am to get them off to school, then I head back to bed until midday and get up ready to tackle errands before they come home again. It is not a perfect system and I am totally at odds with the world around me. I cannot wait for these horrendous neighbours to leave. The only reason that I am currently able to do this is that I am on a visa that does not allow me to work, so temporarily, being at odds with the rest of the world doesn't matter much. Lucky thing shops are open late in the US!

I kind of like doing my workouts late, tell the truth, I don't have to fight over the TV or space in the livig room, and I won't be disturbed because my mum duties are done for the day and the girls are abed!

Very odd, I know.....

Clare

I workout late by choice. I'm a total night owl and HATE mornings. No way I could get myself to workout in the morning. ugh. I start working out usually around 7:30-8pm sometimes later. I just got out of the shower so had a late one tonight (its 12pm). I feel better when I sleep if I worked out and showered before bed. Guess I'm used to it. ;) Jess

I don't go to work until 2pm and get off work anywhere from 10:30pm to 2:30am. I never know in advance how late I'll be working or how tired I'll be when I'm done so I can't plan anything. I always work out after work so I'm usually doing it in the wee hours. I was just thinking how odd it is I USED to get up early to work out and was wondering what changed. Answer: the weather! Yea, in warmer, brighter months I get to bed earlier and get up earlier so I can work out in the morning. Now that it's dreary out I sleep late (until 11am-noon) and work out after work, whatever time that is, so NO, you're not the only one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.