night sweats - yuck! need inuput,please

pwmatt

Cathlete
OK, not a new topic here, but they have been plaguing me like crazy over the last few weeks. I'm 46 in and in the throes of our friend Men O Pause. Long story short - the night sweats are driving me bonkers. My quality of sleep has diminished to unacceptable levels. I've been doing a little research and I see that there are a bazillion products out there claiming to help. I've come across one called Menersa which is a blend of phytoestrogens, black cohash, soy isoflavinoids. I would love you know what some of you are taking and what the results are. I'm ready to order somethinkg RIGHT NOW!! I just don't want to throw away my money. I realize that nothing will completely eliminate this butI need to reduce them. Should I maybe look for a generic mixture of these herbs? Any info is MUCh appreciated!!

Phyllis, I hate to hear you are having such problems :( I don't really have any experience with that product, but the combo sounds good. Personally, I been on the nuva ring for mine and it helped beautifully. I also occasionally take Ambien to knock myself out for a good nights sleep LOL!

Hey Phyllis !

I've never heard of that product either but agree with Catherine that it sounds good .
I've had some of the night sweats and had a conversation with my gyn. He suggested several things, among them the nuva ring , and black cohash(think he named Estroven). Anyway, I ended up adding Flaxseeds to my diet 1-2 T. a day and haven't had a night sweat in months !
I guess I don't know for SURE that it was the flaxseeds that did it, except that it was the ONLY change I made .
Yours sound more severe but if you don't eat FS, I would recommend that you add them , maybe along with that product you mentioned.

I hope it helps . I DO deal with horrible insomnia most nights and still haven't figured that out , so I feel your pain !:(
I hope you find something that helps you .

Becky

Night sweats SUCK!!! But they usually come in waves. They pass for awhile and return a few weeks later. I am 44 and am in Menopause. Talk to your Gyn if you really can't handle it but hang in there, it does get better
elliemom

Thanks gals! I have noticed that it does happen in waves. I'll be good for a few weeks and then it happens again. It just feels totally gross.

Becky, it's funny you should mention FS. I used to use it everyday. I stopped and recently(this week) started up again. I had bought FS for a muffin recipe and figured I might as well start using it again. So, I'll give it a while.

I don't have a gyn appt until Jan. I had mentioned it to him last year and he couldn't recommend a product that was an absolute. Things can change in a year, so I'll ask again.

50 here and think I may be in the ends of it all. Haven't jumped outta bed completely sopped and feeling like I was an oven for quite a while.

Was on a low does BC for years due to PMS and switched to Seasonique a couple years ago. Also been taking 1 tb flaxseed per day (2 is too much for me if ya know what I mean !:eek:) in my cranberry juice in the AM and also take a B supplement pill which helps with many of the female hormonal symptoms.

I am sure it is a combo of all of the above that helped me through it - I have definitely not been as bad off as many others that I know, nor my mother who made no changes in her life when she went through it.

Best of luck finding something that works for you !

Id love to know what causes these wretched things! Im nowhere near menopause and I get them too! Used to be here and there, but for the past month or so its been every night.. relentless :(
I started getting hot flashes in early HS.. they aren't so often anymore, but still around.
Here's a little song I made up last weekend while getting ready for bed.. a ritual I've been dreading hehe :)

"Night sweats, night sweats here I come-
-got my cotton T-shirt to shield me from..
-my little fan on my nightstands ON..
-so I can- get some- relief"

LOL, sing in the tune of California Here I come-- just had to share that I feel your pain too!

Hi, I feel your pain! I've introduced the following to assist me with the night sweats and the dreaded premenopausal symptoms.

Apple Cider Vinegar one desert spoon in half a glass of water 3 times a day. This is a little "miracle" Yeah, I know tastes like tibetan cats you know what but its great. Google it for more info.

Flaxseeds, LSA (Linseed, Almond seeds and Sunflower seeds) 3 desert spoons of that daily, The easiest was is to either make up a smoothie, mix in in with yor cereal OR yoghurt.

AND finally the Wonder product is a product called Harmony. Its a womens balancing formula, Its a combination of Chinese and Western Herbs and nutrients, for the relief of Menopause and premenstral tension. ITS BRILLIANT! I only night sweat if I'm HOT! Google zentherpeutics.

I have NEVER felt healthier. If you do introduce the Flaxseeds and the LSA into your diest, just be aware of the flatulence (sorry) they are loud big and smelly. (sorry) I didn't know how else to write it without offending someone with my language.

My symptoms and hormones were really really BAD! I had everything the headaches, nightsweats, cravings, moodiness, bloating, swollen sore breasts, the list goes on and on. I still have hormones that play up, but no where near as BAD.

Well I am 56 here and finally have rare occurances of the dreaded night sweats. I tried everything that I heard of. I took Black Cohosh for several years which I do believe helped a lot. Melatonin helped me sleep but had terrible nightmares which I am prone to anyway. I used to sweat so bad that I felt the need to change the sheets in the morning:0 Anyway I wish I could help. Black cohosh was my best friend. Tried about everything I heard of and nothing worked well. Funny though, even though night sweats and hot flashes have subsided I still am warm most of the time. I welcome brisk air when I go outside. I no longer pile myself with blankets year round. I don't think that will ever come back!
I feel for every woman that goes through this.

Another ground flaxseed user here! I put 1/2 T in my oatmeal every morning and rarely have those icky night sweats anymore!
Sorry Phyllis. :( I hope you find relief!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.