Newbie Fitness Mistakes :D

sparrow13

Cathlete
This morning I was thinking about my early days of working out. I started lifting with #3-#5 weights. One day I realized these were now too easy and I needed something heavier. Of course I was thrilled. So I dashed off to Wal-Mart and optimistically purchased #10 and #12, assuming I could jump up by that much in one go. :D Imagine my surprise when I wasn't quite there yet. I exchanged them for #8. :D

What were some of yours?

Lori, I did something similar. When I started running in high school, I wore my Chuck Taylors for the first 3 months. My parents finally bought me some running shoes and I couldn't believe what a difference it made! Duh!

running on the treadmill at the y with the cute little $5 shorts from wal-mart. the shorts weren't the problem other then they were riding up with the boy short undies!!! LOL. i try to be conscious and where my wedgie free bikinis from now on. no matter what i wear with boy shorts you do some high impact activity you are going to have to pull them out of your butt in front of EVERYONE in the cardio room LOL.

kassia

I thought (wrongly) that I was advanced. I bought KM - man that was haaaard at the time. Even though she tried to kill me, I loved Cathe, and she doesn't have much cardio that isn't step. Then I wanted to try step. I heard intervals were good for me. I bought a step and Basic Step to get the knack of step, and IMAX 3 to try step. Basic Step to IMAX 3 when KM was trying to kill me. That wasn't a very good move!!! I almost died. It not often (anymore) that cardio makes me sore the next day - but yowza!!! I learned that thinking I was advanced and being advanced are not the same thing. Although, IMAX 3 is still one of my faves. I can do now w/out dying, but it still ain't easy. Woah, tainted love.....

Nan

running on the treadmill at the y with the cute little $5 shorts from wal-mart. the shorts weren't the problem other then they were riding up with the boy short undies!!! LOL. i try to be conscious and where my wedgie free bikinis from now on. no matter what i wear with boy shorts you do some high impact activity you are going to have to pull them out of your butt in front of EVERYONE in the cardio room LOL.

kassia

Workout wedgies are not good!!!

Variety? What's that?

Doing 45 minutes on the stairmaster, every day, every week, and nautilus weights, the same circuit every other day, every week. for 2 years. No wonder I burned out. :confused: At the time there were a whole bunch of folks doing the same thing I was, every day at 5:30 PM.

Running up and down hill, on cement sidewalks, daily for 4 miles (started with walking/running, then just running, but didn't last long!) in cheap shoes! (It was "no pain, no gain" era, and I was just 20 and had no concept of how to exercise).

Trying to do extreme workouts on low calorie diets.

Doing the same thing day in day out - high impact aerobics classes, no weight training, for years.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.